CBS Sports chairman says use of the name 'Redskins' will be up to announcers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/07/cbs-sports-redskins-name-nfl

CBS Sports chairman Sean McManus tells The Hollywood Reporter that it will be up to CBS announcers and production teams whether they will use the team name of the Washington NFL club this season.

“We haven’t talked to them yet,” McManus told THR. “Generally speaking, we do not tell our announcers what to say or not say. Up to this point, it has not been a big issue for us. Last year, it was simmering; now it’s reaching a hotter level. But we probably will not end up dictating to our announcers whether they say Redskins or don’t say Redskins.”

“We leave that up to them and our production team. There are times when something becomes important enough that we talk to them, and between now and the start of football season we’ll decide what is the right thing to do.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strikes me as a weasel solution. If CBS doesn't want to use 'Redskins' then don't use it - don't try to please all sides, with their employees taking the heat for whatever they decide to do.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Suddenly calling the Redskins by their name is a borderline crime when just last year every announcer used it regularly without worrying over backlash. It's a team name describing a football team, not an intended offensive expression as the press wants to make it. The height to which this has been taken just aggravates me deeply.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Suddenly calling the Redskins by their name is a borderline crime when just last year every announcer used it regularly without worrying over backlash. It's a team name describing a football team, not an intended offensive expression as the press wants to make it. The height to which this has been taken just aggravates me deeply.
Because you KNOW they're real aim is controlling you.
If we don't play in the SB I want the Redskins to win it and force the Commish to say Redskins or hear Dan Snyder say the name a dozen times right the fuck in his face.
BTW my beloved grand daughter and son in law are Cherokee as if it mattered.
Even if you hate the name you need to stand for his rights,or wonder who will stand for yours.

Last edited:

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Because you KNOW they're real aim is controlling you.
If we don't play in the SB I want the Redskins to win it and force the Commish to say Redskins or hear Dan Snyder say the name a dozen times right the freak in his face.
BTW my beloved grand daughter and son in law are Cherokee as if it mattered.
Even if you hate the name you need to stand for his rights,or wonder who will stand for yours.
1. If the Redskins win the SB, we will have to endure RGIII and all the talk about how we should have drafted him. No thanks.
2 This is not going away. Every one says the Native Americans don't care, but I've seen plenty that do. Your family may not, I have friends that do. I don't care either way to be honest, but there is no point being angry about it, or mistaking this as some assault on American freedom.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
1. If the Redskins win the SB, we will have to endure RGIII and all the talk about how we should have drafted him. No thanks.
2 This is not going away. Every one says the Native Americans don't care, but I've seen plenty that do. Your family may not, I have friends that do. I don't care either way to be honest, but there is no point being angry about it, or mistaking this as some assault on American freedom.
Sorry you don't see the assault but it's there is ongoing and will come to something near and dear to you some day.

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual.
Those who deny individual rights cannot
claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Eh, I wouldn't have cared either ways. Still don't.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Sorry you don't see the assault but it's there is ongoing and will come to something near and dear to you some day.

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual.
Those who deny individual rights cannot
claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
So in order to protect Dan Snyder right to use the term Redskins we have to silence the people's right to free speech who are against it? That is ridiculous. Just as ridiculous as mistaking something you don't agree with as an assault on American freedom.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This is embarrassing for America.

Wow. Really? It's come to this?

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I'm not going to like the team from Washington no matter what they're called.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
So in order to protect Dan Snyder right to use the term Redskins we have to silence the people's right to free speech who are against it? That is ridiculous. Just as ridiculous as mistaking something you don't agree with as an assault on American freedom.

Uh...he never said that. :shades:

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Uh...he never said that. :shades:
I see you read English, they have every right to express their dislike of the word, but an organized effort to block it's use goes well beyond the pail and FUCK IT ,I'll get angry as hell over people trying to assert their equal right as superior . But he does get that silencing one side is ridiculous maybe there is a chance he'll get that silencing either is that too

"First They Came for the Jews"
By Pastor Niemoller

harrass.jpg
First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me

Word Nazis coming to a vocabulary word near and dear to you , when they try to use the government against you and it complies ,which they have in this case, they've gone too far and we all need to pay attention.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I see you read English, they have every right to express their dislike of the word, but an organized effort to block it's use goes well beyond the pail and freak IT ,I'll get angry as hell over people trying to assert their equal right as superior . But he does get that silencing one side is ridiculous maybe there is a chance he'll get that silencing either is that too

"First They Came for the Jews"
By Pastor Niemoller

harrass.jpg
First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me

Word Nazis coming to a vocabulary word near and dear to you , when they try to use the government against you and it complies ,which they have in this case, they've gone too far and we all need to pay attention.
An organized effort to block it's use is free speech. I get what you're trying to say just fine, I just disagree. I don't recall anyone saying that they are superior. You made that up. And evoking the Nazis totally destroys your argument. We'll have to disagree. I'm not going to argue with someone who sees Hitler in every corner.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
An organized effort to block it's use is free speech. I get what you're trying to say just fine, I just disagree. I don't recall anyone saying that they are superior. You made that up. And evoking the Nazis totally destroys your argument. We'll have to disagree. I'm not going to argue with someone who sees Hitler in every corner.
And enlisting the government in the effort ? you conveniently left that out, actually Hitler was just A Nazi , naziism is the problem but hey, you chose me in this argument and if you want to leave , there's the door but don't leave "angry".

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
And enlisting the government in the effort ? you conveniently left that out, actually Hitler was just A Nazi , naziism is the problem but hey, you chose me in this argument and if you want to leave , there's the door but don't leave "angry".

I'm not angry, and I wasn't trying to argue. I was just surprised to see Nazis pop up. I'm still confused as to why you see Nazis, but oh well. I still think that the name change is logical, despite the danger from rampaging Nazis. :)

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I'm not angry, and I wasn't trying to argue. I was just surprised to see Nazis pop up. I'm still confused as to why you see Nazis, but oh well. I still think that the name change is logical, despite the danger from rampaging Nazis. :)
Had you hear they re also trying to make the Army change the name of the Apache helicopter, suppression through force ,that's Nazi tactics, but hey it's just a word ,no need getting bent about it or do I have to quit using that one in your world as well?

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Had you hear they re also trying to make the Army change the name of the Apache helicopter, suppression through force ,that's Nazi tactics, but hey it's just a word ,no need getting bent about it or do I have to quit using that one in your world as well?

In my world? What are you smoking? This is exactly what I said in response to your first post

"I don't care either way to be honest, but there is no point being angry about it, or mistaking this as some assault on American freedom."

There is a difference between thinking a name change is logical and actually giving a shit either way.

The rest of my posts are just stating that the side opposite yours has the same right to speak their minds. The only one polishing up their jackboots is you. You're the one who only hears one side. Freaking Nazis and Hitler over a football teams name, you must be either high or crazy. "You chose this argument" you say. How did I chose an argument? By responding to your post with a different view? For that I get lumped in with Hitler? Fucking Hitler?

Moderator, please feel free to delete my first post above here if it in anyway resembles Nazi Propaganda.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Man, is it going to be awkward to have a game where the announcers refuse to use the team name... and even worse if only one announcer does and one doesn't.

Add me to the list of not understanding where you pulled that from. Those against the name have no problem trying to get the government to force the team to change its name. That's the main thing being objected to. If those against it confined themselves to only free market means to assert that it needed to be changed, there likely wouldn't be any backlash against them.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Man, is it going to be awkward to have a game where the announcers refuse to use the team name... and even worse if only one announcer does and one doesn't.

Add me to the list of not understanding where you pulled that from. Those against the name have no problem trying to get the government to force the team to change its name. That's the main thing being objected to. If those against it confined themselves to only free market means to assert that it needed to be changed, there likely wouldn't be any backlash against them.

My only point is both sides of any issue in America lobby the government to take their side. They have a right to, that's why we have a representative government.

Or, Nazis. I guess it depends on your point of view.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
My only point is both sides of any issue in America lobby the government to take their side. They have a right to, that's why we have a representative government.

Or, Nazis. I guess it depends on your point of view.
On free speech issues, the government SHOULDN'T be taking any side. And those making the free speech are only lobbying the government to stay out of it, as they should.

Status
Not open for further replies.