Cardinals DL Darnell Dockett's unfortunate tweet

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Dockett's comments are ignorant on his part but social media moderates itself. I'm not sure if Florio is making a case that Dockett should be fined for his tweet or if he is saying the NFL takes too much control of players personal lives but the NFL has overstepped its realistic bounds as far as that's concerned. The NFL should allow freedom of speech in these types of situations (just not freedom of actions). They even fined Lynch for not speaking which is absolutely ridiculous. Just chill Roger.

Oh no it doesn't. Social media, electronic media for individuals, especially well known people, is a trap, it's waiting to take them down. And another badly educated, ill spoken, ignorant yet wealthy athlete got snared.

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
Get used to it my friend. I really hope Sam can play at this level, because right now he IS the Rams.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Get used to it my friend. I really hope Sam can play at this level, because right now he IS the Rams.
Not sure how you figure that. If he doesn't make the team and there is any backlash at all, it will fade quickly. He has been given a chance to play pro ball. If he is cut, I'm sure there will be some who make a stink but there really won't be a hand for them to play unless someone within the organization says something really stupid. The attention is already waning aside from some mentions here and there. I'm sure there will be a new sense of interest if he makes the team OR if he is cut but I doubt it is going to really change anything the Rams do as a team or organization. Michael Sam is not the Rams, he is simply a high profile side story.

Rambition

Rookie
that darn ol' darnelle...always up to some mischief...
dockett.gif

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Oh no it doesn't. Social media, electronic media for individuals, especially well known people, is a trap, it's waiting to take them down. And another badly educated, ill spoken, ignorant yet wealthy athlete got snared.

I never said it was fairly moderated. It's just that usually if someone makes a statement that is out of bounds then people will swarm on it.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Florio seems to be shooting for web hits. He tries to find reasons to mention hot topics from time to time. He's gotta find ways to write about Michael Sam and the Redskins each day. My favorite article of his this month is this one about Evan Mathis, http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/13/evan-mathis-strikes-again/. I'm not sure if you know much about Evan Mathis's tactics but he has done a good job of making the local, Philadelphia, and national football media look foolish at times.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I can't freaking stand the guy, always has some backhanded comment to make about the Rams, this being a case in point.

*** Don't know how that is a backhanded comment to The Rams ?? If anything it is to Arizona Cards.
--Taking about KILLING a women ?? NFL wearing pink ? Can't wait till October,when Sam dresses up.He already wears the yellow well.I like his practice uniform outfit taste.
I think it was the timing of tweet by the Dolphin player.Players walking on egg shells is not good for freedom of speech.
The NFC rookies are meeting today,& why is the NFL network bringing up Michael Sam being first opening gay player.They say it will be a topic in front of him.He is very opinionated,and won't be afraid to say what is on his mind.
That being said,he does not speak,or have the same views as all homosexuals.He is just one voice,and one mind.
I think Dansby is still mad at Dockett for his tweet about not caring about winning.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dont get all the hate towards Florio here.

Imo, all he was doing is saying that a comment about a gay player (it wouldn't matter who drafted Sam) would bring discipline from a team, so there should be some sort of precedent set since murder is a far more serious thing to be tweeting about. Why one and not the other is where I think he was going with that comparison.

Didn't a Dolphin player in fact get in trouble for making a Sam tweet?

That was likely in Florio's mind.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Florio seems to be shooting for web hits. He tries to find reasons to mention hot topics from time to time. He's gotta find ways to write about Michael Sam and the Redskins each day. My favorite article of his this month is this one about Evan Mathis, http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/13/evan-mathis-strikes-again/. I'm not sure if you know much about Evan Mathis's tactics but he has done a good job of making the local, Philadelphia, and national football media look foolish at times.

That was funny (what Evans did to the media).

I've had it with the media for years.

Way too much 24/7 competition... it's spawned behavior like making things up and not getting facts before reporting... to downright trolling for hits.

Sad... at least to me.

Funny to see someone else giving it back to the media.

As far as Florio awkwardly bringing Sam into this? See above about the behavior.
;)

jjab360

Legend
*** Don't know how that is a backhanded comment to The Rams ?? If anything it is to Arizona Cards.
--Taking about KILLING a women ?? NFL wearing pink ? Can't wait till October,when Sam dresses up.He already wears the yellow well.I like his practice uniform outfit taste.
I think it was the timing of tweet by the Dolphin player.Players walking on egg shells is not good for freedom of speech.
The NFC rookies are meeting today,& why is the NFL network bringing up Michael Sam being first opening gay player.They say it will be a topic in front of him.He is very opinionated,and won't be afraid to say what is on his mind.
That being said,he does not speak,or have the same views as all homosexuals.He is just one voice,and one mind.
I think Dansby is still mad at Dockett for his tweet about not caring about winning.
It's a backhanded comment because it was an unneccessary, irrelevant shot at a Rams player as if Sam has control over what kind of punishment teams give out over the stupid shit their players tweet. As for the rest of your post, I don't really know what you're talking about, tbh.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
It'd probably be less of a what in people's mind if he hadn't cobbled it together clumsily like that. The way he did it sounds less like a poignant point and more like a clumsy throw in to be topical and make a 'point' simply by bringing up something controversial.

The way he put it together is usually the way guys who are using it to get easy views and comments do it, that's probably where most problems lie.

Av8R

UDFA
I'm not a Florio fan so I often just don't read his work. He is definitely one of those reporters that people either like him or hate him. The Sam comment was irrelevant for sure. As for Darnell, as Speeps said "It is Darnell being Darnell."

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Way too much 24/7 competition... it's spawned behavior like making things up and not getting facts before reporting... to downright trolling for hits.

Sad... at least to me.

Sad indeed. It really is what a lot of these stories have come down to - trolling for hits.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah. Sounds about right.
Am I under the miss conception that he was one of the last NFL players to be fined for tweeting ?
I think that was the point the writer was making anyway.

The dude lost money for what.Was what he tweeted out so bad about Sam? I guess maybe ,but where does a fine for a tweet lye.
Talk about Miami tweeting.I hated the fact the twin bro center(from Florida) Pouncy backing Hernandez.I guess he is not guilty either as OJ.