Candidate for most idiotic article of year goes to ESPN’s Bill Barnwell

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Yeah ask Cleveland how easy it is to find a franchise QB.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
r71098_600x400_3-2.jpg

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I have thought about that actually. It is possible that a coach like McBae can get away with that IMO.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While I believe there should be a pipeline of backups - and that occasionally someone in the pipeline will break out and become a star - if it were actually easy to develop a franchise QB, then they wouldn't be paid near as much anyway, so no need to worry about their second contract.

It'd be nice to have a coach that was THAT good at scouting and developing QBs, though. But there is a reason that McVey came to the Rams - he saw a QB that could become a star for him.

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.
While I believe there should be a pipeline of backups - and that occasionally someone in the pipeline will break out and become a star - if it were actually easy to develop a franchise QB, then they wouldn't be paid near as much anyway, so no need to worry about their second contract.

It'd be nice to have a coach that was THAT good at scouting and developing QBs, though. But there is a reason that McVey came to the Rams - he saw a QB that could become a star for him.
McVey? Ok... You guys are just messin' with me now. Right?

KayJay

Starter
I have thought about that actually. It is possible that a coach like McBae can get away with that IMO.

Adam-DeVine-No.-Hard-pass.-Hard-pass.gif

There comes a time where you start to look like the guy at a steak house who orders fish. I mean there's nothing wrong with it, its just why are you taking that risk in the first place over something that's bound to be much better tasting and thoroughly well prepared? We can talk about hypothetical's all day long, but there's a reason why McVay feels he's lucky to be working with someone like Jared.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
I mean in theory it’s a brilliant idea but not only is there a 0% chance any gm would try this, it also would most likely fail simply based on the odds of qbs succeeding in the nfl

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yeah that makes sense and every team should do that.

LOL.

Fucking stupid. I mean a monumentally dumbass stance.

ESPN though..........right.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
While I believe there should be a pipeline of backups - and that occasionally someone in the pipeline will break out and become a star .
Packers did what you described when Favre was QB didn't they?

Mark Brunell, Matt Hasselbeck, and Aaron Rodgers all found some success.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Oh so it happened once in forever.

Hope is never a good strategy.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny

Patriots have managed to find suckers pretty often as well. Trading away Cassel, Garrapolo, Mallet earned them a pretty fair amount of capital over the years.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
If it were that easy to find franchise quarterbacks, the Bills and Browns would be competitive every year.

tempests

Hall of Fame
It might be the mot idiotic article of the year except I've read it before. As Barnwell alludes to, this wasn't even his idea. He stole it from other people.

I first heard about it in the Peyton Manning era when people wouldn't stop crying about how much money he was making. Never mind that that he went to four Super Bowls after he got paid and not once on his rookie contract. Its built on the "system QB" fallacy and that escalating QB salaries are the reason good teams can't stay competitive. I have never believed that.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
As if the money wouldn't go to other players and other positions. Why don't they just have a 4 year career limit? Mama said stupid is as stupid does.....

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It might be the mot idiotic article of the year except I've read it before. As Barnwell alludes to, this wasn't even his idea. He stole it from other people.

I first heard about it in the Peyton Manning era when people wouldn't stop crying about how much money he was making. Never mind that that he went to four Super Bowls after he got paid and not once on his rookie contract. Its built on the "system QB" fallacy and that escalating QB salaries are the reason good teams can't stay competitive. I have never believed that.

Certainly it's tougher to win with one player taking so much big money. But the real problem is that increasingly unproven QBs are being given huge contracts and they are not actually elite - you know, like SF did with Garapallo. To a lesser extent Osweiler a couple of years ago. While Rodgers is worth such a contract, Brees, etc - average QBs aren't, and teams are afraid to let them go. Until a team actually has a top notch QB, it might not be a bad idea to keep drafting and developing - not using firsts unless a true elite talent falls to you, like the Packers did with Rodgers, but use more than 7th rounders.

If you have a pipeline, and your starter is just average, it might make sense to trade him if the offer is right. But if you have a good or better QB, trading him away is usually asinine unless you have an in-house replacement you think is as good or better.