Can We Sniff Out Which WR's The Rams Will Be Considering?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
@Zero @Riverumbbq

I don't see Njoku, Zay, or Goodwin getting out of the first round.

IT'S *GOD*WIN.

I don't see how they're not there at the start of the second... with perceived better talent at that position of ahead of them...

If they somehow get scooped up in the first round, that only means an elite graded talent has fallen, and we must look at that option hard before making our decision.

Win/Win for us.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Kind of one of the luckier things the Rams have this year with not having a first is that it's a deep class in multiple positions. CB and TE mostly.

I think the board will kind of dictate itself. Someone good will fall to us. I'd love for it to be a Watt, Engram, Godwin, Zay Jones type of catch for us (note: I know there are other players who fit the bill)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Suspect if they're hell bent on a wideout at that round 2 pick they will trade down and add another pick. Then take a guy like Godwin or Jones with better value and have that flexibility to add another DB or TE to the draft haul.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
he prefers the Heady,Disiplined route runner types.
I got to believe it will be someone who can take the top off a defense
as well.
Or are we looking at that big play TE?

McVay is going to favor route running ability first I think in terms of fit. Wideouts will slate roughly based on measurable vs production, but the Rams will have the route runners elevated a bit and will probably steer clear of the raw types. So guys from teams like Baylor for example are longshots unless they think the guy is going to be a quick study based on workout, chalkboard, etc.

Hands will be important too, and catch radius. He has mentioned those things in interviews wrt current players, so I think it is something he is very conscious of.

So highlight the route runners with good catch radius. Demote the raw types, focus drop types, and divas. What is left will probably closely mirror the Rams' board in how they're stacking things. Speed and athleticism are of course important in where guys are slated, too, but will be adjusted on the above IMO.
From these variables, I put together my own little list. Based on....the Falcons & Redskins wr's....lets just say receivers. Because TE's count. From our current roster, I'd guess McVay probably would like....Mike Thomas, Tyler Higbee, Temarrick Hemingway, and, and...that's all I got. Not sure I see a heady one in the bunch...From here, what do we need to add? A lot.

Without further ado.....keeping in mind that this is aSTRONG defensive draft, and we need CB, LB, and FS ( but I like Mo and Randolph).....I wanna grab a wr late...like 5th, 6th or 7th....my 2nd , 3rd and 4th round picks I'm looking for those defenders & a CENTER....maybe a LT if Bolles falls...
I'd love to hear Josh Malone name called on day 3. He has outstanding hands. He has take the top off speed. He's hungry
I'd also wouldn't be mad to hear Jehu Chessom....Another size, speed matchup problem maker. Really solid kid.
My favorite wr in 2017...is Robert Davis.....followed closely by Kenny Golladay...sounds like Billy Holiday, but I'm showing my age. LOLOL. Very good size-speed guys. Huge catch radius...
Last is another small school, with huge upside.... Krishawn Hogan, I like Mack Hollins as well.

This isn't to say I don't like Cooper....I do....Or Tavon....although I don't. I just think McVay requires HANDS first....Desean, Pierre, they can really catch....I also have hopes for McRoberts & even...Spruce...but Mike Thomas strikes me as a type they'll work with...While developing they're own. Watch Yarber work his magic.

Zero

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This isn't to say I don't like Cooper

Thanks for your input Champ.I will definately watch some tape on these guys.

Cooper is a prototypical McVay receiver.Smart,Route technician with very good hands.
I fully expect him to hit that 500-600 range this year.

Tavon on the other hand,has much work to do.His route running and hands have to improve.
I think the new mindset and better coaching will motivate him to improve.

If healthy,Spruce could be a excellent depth guy.Fits McVay.

Thomas is a very frustrating prospect.Showing all world,one second
and dropping the easy ones next.Not referring to last years easy drops.
He has some of the same kind of drops on his college tapes.
Guess that's how he lasted so long.He gets the Sleeper tag,because
media types put on a highlight reel and he looks like first round all the way.
Then you put on a game tape and you're like,oh,now I understand.
Maybe McVay can work some magic.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Cooper is a prototypical McVay receiver.Smart,Route technician with very good hands.
I keep hearing he has "good" hands. I see "ok" hands...double catches. and injury prone. I like the way he runs with the ball in his has though.

Thomas is a very frustrating prospect.Showing all world,one second
and dropping the easy ones next.Not referring to last years easy drops.
He has some of the same kind of drops on his college tapes.
Best rookie wr on the team last year. He has pro talent.

We've seen Tavon for 4 years now....correct? I'm not worried about his poor routes or the inability to get open vs press coverage. Not even concerned that he has a small catch radius or still fails to utilize the middle of the field. He still shows poor ball skills....and really isn't a decent catcher of the ball.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Best rookie wr on the team last year. He has pro talent.

I hope you're joking,If not you should really get your eyes checked.
Cooper had 3 times as many receiving yards and didn't drop a single pass.
Thomas,If you include preseason had way more drops than receptions.
Cooper will be competing for a starting position and will probably get it.
Thomas will be competing for a spot on the roster.The only thing
he did well last year was play ST's,and that doesn't fall under the position of WR.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/fisher-727281-cooper-rams.html

"Fisher recently had declared Cooper to be one of the Rams’ top three receivers, along with Kenny Britt and Tavon Austin. Cooper had been mostly impressive throughout training camp and caught an 11-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Jared Goff in last week’s preseason victory over Kansas City.

The Rams have solid quantity at receiver, but quality is another matter. Several receivers, including veteran Brian Quick and rookies Mike Thomas and Duke Williams, have struggled with dropped passes during practices and preseason games.

“They’re a concern,” Fisher said Saturday night. “If the guys continue to drop the football, they can’t play. I’m not going to put someone out there who has a drop history and then rely on them in the game and then have a drop at a critical moment. They’ve got to continue to work at that.”

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I don't care who it is but we need a guy to stretch the field and go deep . I form see woods going deep too often and we all know Tavon has struggled to create seperationn on deep passes . Juju smith is my pick , he is a big body and catches the ball with his hands. I doubt njoku drops to second round .

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
he did well last year was play ST's,and that doesn't fall under the position of WR.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/fisher-727281-cooper-rams.html

"Fisher recently had declared Cooper to be one of the Rams’ top three receivers, along with Kenny Britt and Tavon Austin. Cooper had been mostly impressive throughout training camp and caught an 11-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Jared Goff in last week’s preseason victory over Kansas City.

The Rams have solid quantity at receiver, but quality is another matter. Several receivers, including veteran Brian Quick and rookies Mike Thomas and Duke Williams, have struggled with dropped passes during practices and preseason games.

“They’re a concern,” Fisher said Saturday night. “If the guys continue to drop the football, they can’t play. I’m not going to put someone out there who has a drop history and then rely on them in the game and then have a drop at a critical moment. They’ve got to continue to work at that.”
If Fisher declared Cooper to be good, that's not good for Cooper. Lol
Mike Thomas can get open. Period. Rookies drop passes.
I don't think guys can learn to get open but I've seen many a WR get over the drops. I like Cooper a whole lot too, but Thomas has the highest ceiling from the rookie crop of last year IMO.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I stand by my statement. I watched Cooper. I watched Mike Thomas. He was our best rookie wr, hands DOWN!

"Fisher recently had declared Cooper to be one of the Rams’ top three receivers, :blah:
If Fisher declared Cooper to be good, that's not good for Cooper. Lol
Just like db says, that's almost a kiss of death type statement.:ROFLMAO:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
“They’re a concern,” Fisher said Saturday night. “If the guys continue to drop the football, they can play. I’m going to put someone out there who has a drop history and then rely on them in the game and then have a drop at a critical moment. They’ve got to continue to work at that.”

Fixed!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd love to hear Josh Malone name called on day 3. He has outstanding hands. He has take the top off speed. He's hungry
I'd also wouldn't be mad to hear Jehu Chessom....Another size, speed matchup problem maker. Really solid kid.
My favorite wr in 2017...is Robert Davis.....followed closely by Kenny Golladay...sounds like Billy Holiday, but I'm showing my age. LOLOL. Very good size-speed guys. Huge catch radius...
Last is another small school, with huge upside.... Krishawn Hogan, I like Mack Hollins as well.

Champ, you get way too hung up on H/W/S. Take Robert Davis, for example, here's his only video on DB:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=350EEWlX7f8

He looks like a guy who offers very little besides size and speed. Maybe he's improved (this game is from 2015) or it was an off day, but he failed to make a single contested catch in that game and ran poor routes (against weak competition). I'll wait for more games to be uploaded before coming to a definite conclusion on him, but what I see now isn't promising.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope that they get Amara Darboh. He's a very talented receiver out of Michigan. 6'2", great hands, underrated speed.

I don't think Darboh's speed is underrated. Like Zay, Darboh doesn't really have vertical separation speed despite what he timed in the 40. His speed shows more in his burst off the LOS and quickness out of breaks.

Although, I will say that I was a tad disappointed in Darboh's hands. They're like Juju Smith's hands. Not bad but not special. It's a bit different than guys like Zay Jones and Chris Godwin.

Zero

Pro Bowler
I stand by my statement. I watched Cooper. I watched Mike Thomas. He was our best rookie wr, hands DOWN!
LOL.
OK what sold you on Thomas being the best rookie WR on our
team? Was it the fact that he can't catch a football,or was it the fact that he dropped
most of the passes?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He looks like a guy who offers very little besides size and speed. Maybe he's improved (this game is from 2015) or it was an off day, but he failed to make a single contested catch in that game and ran poor routes (against weak competition). I'll wait for more games to be uploaded before coming to a definite conclusion on him, but what I see now isn't promising.
He looked good running routes at the combine. Showed strong hands....looked coachable.

OK what sold you on Thomas being the best rookie WR on our
team? Was it the fact that he can't catch a football,or was it the fact that he dropped
most of the passes?
The way he was open....

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He looked good running routes at the combine. Showed strong hands....looked coachable.

The route running and hands on the tape I've seen don't match that. I'll go with the film over playing against air. Once more videos come out on him, I'll make a final judgement. But I don't like what I see so far. Not gonna watch highlight tapes until after I've made my final judgement.

I want to see a guy with his athleticism dominating lower level of competition. He didn't do that against Charlotte. His QB didn't help him out on a couple of deep balls, but the kid had plenty of opportunities.

Zero

Pro Bowler
The way he was open....

Open doesn't equal production.
Production = Best.
I think you're talking about potential.
Quick had all the potential in the world,but
potential doesn't mean anything without production.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Open doesn't equal production.
Production = Best.
I think you're talking about potential.
Quick had all the potential in the world,but
potential doesn't mean anything without production.
Being open leads to production
If we kept only the productive players from the 2016 team, we would have an empty locker room