Can Cashman get some Kudos?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Well, here we are right where most expected us to be. Andujar is at third and Torres is at second. Andujar is starting to bounce line drives off the fence and Torres is too good for triple A. So, why did Cashman sign Walker and Drury again?

I don't think either will enjoy being bench players. I hate to see Miguel sent down. Maybe if Torres comes out slow, they would send him down, but Walker hasn't hit and Drury has unexplained migraines. Brandon Drury looked pretty good.a
When asked by a doctor if the ball looks blurry when he hits, he said it always has. I wonder if his eyesight improves if he could hit even better. It could be that his eyes are not tracking perfectly though. I have that problem and it makes hitting very difficult, but my neurologist said that there isn't anything they can do to fix it.

Tyler Austin has been pretty good too, but the Yankees just don't seem to believe in him. Bird needs to stay healthy for a season and Stanton needs to find his comfort zone. Maybe the move to NY has him out of sync.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, here we are right where most expected us to be. Andujar is at third and Torres is at second. Andujar is starting to bounce line drives off the fence and Torres is too good for triple A. So, why did Cashman sign Walker and Drury again?

I don't think either will enjoy being bench players. I hate to see Miguel sent down. Maybe if Torres comes out slow, they would send him down, but Walker hasn't hit and Drury has unexplained migraines. Brandon Drury looked pretty good.a
When asked by a doctor if the ball looks blurry when he hits, he said it always has. I wonder if his eyesight improves if he could hit even better. It could be that his eyes are not tracking perfectly though. I have that problem and it makes hitting very difficult, but my neurologist said that there isn't anything they can do to fix it.

Tyler Austin has been pretty good too, but the Yankees just don't seem to believe in him. Bird needs to stay healthy for a season and Stanton needs to find his comfort zone. Maybe the move to NY has him out of sync.
Yanks are right where they are supposed to be (offensively that is). Torres is here to stay as is Andujar, save for a prolonged slump.
I feel bad for Drury because I really liked the pickup but unfortunately his role is merely a backup. Walker may stick around for a minute but his time has come also. If Lind shows anything and they can platoon him with Austin at 1st until Bird is ready, Walker hits the bricks.
Both pickups were cheap and allowed the Yanks to get the service time on Torres.
As for the pitching, eek...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Holy shit what a run these last few weeks. 16 - 2on an 18 consecutive game span that was included Houston and Cleveland.

Neil Walker is finally starting to hit. Stanton is coming around. Did I is the man. Gleyber Torres is better than I expected for a 21 year old. The pitching has settled down and been very good too. It sucks losing Monty, but it looks like Sonny Gray is finally finding himself and German pitched a short no hitter as a fill in.

They closed the gap on Boston pretty quickly. I am loving this team.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
@Elmgrovegnome @PARAM
Looks like Cashman has his work cut out for him.
Montgomery out for the season (and possibly next) with Tommy John.
Ugh...

I didn't see that news. That sucks, especially with C.C., Tanzania, and Grey being inconsistent. I loved them in the post season but can they get the Yankees to the postseason. German has potential but it's hard to expect him to iron out the kinks and log wins.

I read that they were thinking about calling up Johnathon Loasiaga from Trenton for the Doubleheader. They don't really have anyone to bring up from AAA, unless they go with Hale.....barf.

Best case scenario is for Grey to find his groove. He seems close. Then good day/bad day C.C. would be tolerable. I am not worried about Tanaka. Then maybe they could stick with German. The guy that they should have signed but didn't, Corbin is pitching pretty well.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't see that news. That sucks, especially with C.C., Tanzania, and Grey being inconsistent. I loved them in the post season but can they get the Yankees to the postseason. German has potential but it's hard to expect him to iron out the kinks and log wins.

I read that they were thinking about calling up Johnathon Loasiaga from Trenton for the Doubleheader. They don't really have anyone to bring up from AAA, unless they go with Hale.....barf.

Best case scenario is for Grey to find his groove. He seems close. Then good day/bad day C.C. would be tolerable. I am not worried about Tanaka. Then maybe they could stick with German. The guy that they should have signed but didn't, Corbin is pitching pretty well.
IMO, If they can get an arm at low cost, I'd be fine with it. Otherwise I am fine with what we have, Seve (stud) and Tanaka, CC and even Gray, with CC and Gray 5 innings tops. The bullpen has to snap back. None of them other than Chappy have been consistent so as long as they put it all together, we can pitch a short game.
It will never happen, but I would give up some talent for Degrom, but that's it. And it wouldn't be Andujar or Torres so that's that...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
IMO, If they can get an arm at low cost, I'd be fine with it. Otherwise I am fine with what we have, Seve (stud) and Tanaka, CC and even Gray, with CC and Gray 5 innings tops. The bullpen has to snap back. None of them other than Chappy have been consistent so as long as they put it all together, we can pitch a short game.
It will never happen, but I would give up some talent for Degrom, but that's it. And it wouldn't be Andujar or Torres so that's that...

Yes, Degrom would be a fantastic addition.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
@dieterbrock just as we discuss pitching needs, Sonny Grey takes another step closer to being his old self.

And that trade would be a no brainer for the Yankees. We could only dream. I really don't think that they have the high end prospects to trade for a guy like Degrom unless they included Torres or Andujar. Clint Frazier is nice but all of the other top guys are still climbing the ladder. Adams is still working his way back from injury. Alfredo is too. Guys like Loasiago and Sheffield aren't close enough to being big league ready and Florial is injured. There aren't many enticing options to land a top level arm.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And that trade would be a no brainer for the Yankees.
Well, I mentioned it because of how absurd it was. Yanks have little chance of getting Degrom from the Mets, and no chance unless Torres or Andujar are included.
Gray looked great last night but I am tapping the brakes on feeling too positive on him. He's had 3 good performances against 3 pretty terrible lineups in Texas, Baltimore and last night vs the Jays

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Well, I mentioned it because of how absurd it was. Yanks have little chance of getting Degrom from the Mets, and no chance unless Torres or Andujar are included.
Gray looked great last night but I am tapping the brakes on feeling too positive on him. He's had 3 good performances against 3 pretty terrible lineups in Texas, Baltimore and last night vs the Jays

Yes I figured that was why you mentioned the trade. I would trade either for anyone.

The hopeful part with Grey is that he has pitched at a very high level, with consistency, in the past. So, he should be able to get back on track.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Just when I start to think that the Sonny Grey trade was finally starting to pay off, he looks like crap against Washington.

For all of the good trades that Cashman has made, the Sony Grey trade and Brandon Drury trades really haven't planned out. At the time, Grey seemed to be the only available ace caliber option. I am guessing he is just a small market kind of guy. I wish Cashman had just started with Andujar and not traded for Drury. He won't get much in return for him and he really isn't the super utility type that they want to turn him into. Torrents has filled that role nicely, but they don't seem satisfied for some reason.

Sanchez is looking less and less like a catcher every month. The starters all pitch better with Romine at catcher. In a few years they will have too many DH types. They really need to get the starting pitching figured out quickly. Their window isn't looking to be as big as it did a few months ago.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just when I start to think that the Sonny Grey trade was finally starting to pay off, he looks like crap against Washington.

For all of the good trades that Cashman has made, the Sony Grey trade and Brandon Drury trades really haven't planned out. At the time, Grey seemed to be the only available ace caliber option. I am guessing he is just a small market kind of guy. I wish Cashman had just started with Andujar and not traded for Drury. He won't get much in return for him and he really isn't the super utility type that they want to turn him into. Torrents has filled that role nicely, but they don't seem satisfied for some reason.

Sanchez is looking less and less like a catcher every month. The starters all pitch better with Romine at catcher. In a few years they will have too many DH types. They really need to get the starting pitching figured out quickly. Their window isn't looking to be as big as it did a few months ago.
Yanks are fine.
Teams go thru slumps and they are in a bit of one right now. But they are still winning so no worries.
Let them hit their stride again in October.
Drury will be used as a chip and until he’s traded I don’t think his pickup was bad at all.
We all liked the trade when it was made and Andujar looked over matched when he first got PT at 3rd.
Sanchez has me puzzled. He’s such a good hitter, can’t understand what’s wrong.
Gray was awful last night. Sure the 3run hr was a goof, was a pop fly that found a wind current, but poor baserunning by the Nats caused 4 crucial outs

On a side note, do you post on Riverave?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yanks are fine.
Teams go thru slumps and they are in a bit of one right now. But they are still winning so no worries.
Let them hit their stride again in October.
Drury will be used as a chip and until he’s traded I don’t think his pickup was bad at all.
We all liked the trade when it was made and Andujar looked over matched when he first got PT at 3rd.
Sanchez has me puzzled. He’s such a good hitter, can’t understand what’s wrong.
Gray was awful last night. Sure the 3run hr was a goof, was a pop fly that found a wind current, but poor baserunning by the Nats caused 4 crucial outs

On a side note, do you post on Riverave?

I rarely post there. Sometimes I read the posts but there are too many wise assed, smart guys for my liking. They can tend to own the room. So, unless you post something that is bland, or something nobody else can offer, it is a wasted effort. I do post on the minor league notes from time to time. Overall, I hate the aggressive, know it all vibe.

If Gray was what he was supposed to be, then I'd say the Yankees are fine. C.C. is old and Tanaka is inconsistent. Montgomery was solid, but lost for a long time. Maybe I just get nervous when they have to rely on rookie pitchers. I love rookie pitchers for there promise but prefer them not having a prominent role. They can take a long time going from top prospect to top pitcher. I've been hearing for years that German has great stuff and he is starting to settle in, but I am not completely sold. Loaisiga's spot start was scary but successful. I think Cashman was hoping he'd look very good to increase his trade value. He has an injury history. Right now the only reliable starter the Yankees have is Severino. I loved C.C. and Tanaka in the playoffs last year, but it isn't feeling like we can expect that same level of performance. It's more like we have to just hope for it. Again, if Gray pitched like he did in Oakland, I'm less concerned. They really need another top arm, who is reliable. Hamels may be the guy. Gerritt Cole should have been. Houston has some sort of secret formula with pitchers. Verlander and Morton both got much better with the Astros. Now it's the same with Cole. DeForm would be an outstanding pickup, but not a likely one. One of the RAB posters mentioned how Widener was the Yankees 14th rated prospect, and he is now Arizona's 4th best prospect. It puts into perspective what the depth is still like. But star pitchers usually require MLB ready talent. So if Cashman can keep it to prospects it seems that Fazier, Drury, McKinney, Adams, Rogers, Sheffield, Abreu, Taint, and a few others would be the guys requested.