CAMP REPORT Camp Report: Day 3

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
One note on Thomas... IF he shows really well in preseason the Rams will probably be able to flip him for something. Some desperate teams irt the wideout position.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
One note on Thomas... IF he shows really well in preseason the Rams will probably be able to flip him for something. Some desperate teams irt the wideout position.

he's at best our 5th WR.... he's probably got that spot over Hodge if he keeps impressing in camp... But if Thomas gets another shot at maybe being a return guy and does well...it's a lock we keep him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
he's at best our 5th WR.... he's probably got that spot over Hodge if he keeps impressing in camp... But if Thomas gets another shot at maybe being a return guy and does well...it's a lock we keep him.

I think both Hodge and Thomas are in a fight for a roster spot. Neither come with team control with both being FA after the season. And I have a hard time imagining Thomas on returns, his inconsistencies with his hands would terrify me in that role.

I expect Thomas to miss the cut tbh. But I'm content to see how things fall through camp there's a long way to go for them to duke it out.

oldnotdead

Legend
Who's practicing where doesn't mean much this early in TC. Once things get rolling in earnest things will iron out. This team is pretty set at most starter positions. They are determining who has a shot and who doesn't for the few possible openings. But to be honest the coaching staff already has a pretty good idea before TC even began. The door is being left open for that one or maybe two guys to really shine.

Once things get rolling it will become much more clear who is on the bubble and who isn't. Units like the oline and secondary are IMO pretty set. As far as Noteboom is concerned, I don't see him as a swing OT this year. As I've previously posted, he's the primary backup at LT only since that is where he will be starting next year. If Havenstein goes down I would expect to see Evans, Edwards or Demby in replacement. It remains to be seen if Demby is the second LG over Evans. Right now I think Evans and Edwards are still being coached up by Kromer and Demby has been in the system for a year so it makes sense for him to fill in at this point.

As far as RB is concerned I expect them to carry 4 and it's clear that Henderson has bumped Davis out of his #3 spot. That said it remains to be seen if he can beat John Kelly out for that final spot. This is one of the few spots in question and IMO will come down to Davis having really to shine in pre-season to have a shot. Kelly had a decent rookie outing last year and proved himself on ST's so he probably has the edge. Kelly is a better fit for his offense than Davis, but it was clear they needed more hence the need to draft Henderson.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
2019 Los Angeles Rams training camp: July 29 practice recap
A bunch of vets got the day off from the hump of Day 3.

By 3k@3k_ Jul 29, 2019, 8:15pm CDT
#LARams LIVE: Day 3 #RamsCamp Press Conferences https://t.co/SRLg957bZb

— Los Angeles Rams (@RamsNFL) July 30, 2019
Injuries
Nothing from today, but clearly the concern was strong enough to warrant preventative measures. Remember that today was Day 3:

In NFL training camps we see dehydration levels dip to their lowest in day 3 and it takes til day 11 to normalize. We also see significant amounts of soft tissue injuries in that time period.— Rick Burkholder (@proatc) July 27, 2019

Knowing how perilous today was, there was a padless walkthrough in the first private session followed by a limited day in which numerous veterans sat out:

Rams Head Coach Sean McVay noted that all of these were premeditated and not in response to anything nagging them.

Three days in, and we’re looking perfect on the injury front.

Offense
One big nugget? The LT backup plan.

It sounds like as of now that in case Big Whit misses any time, OL Joseph Noteboom would move over to tackle and OL Jamil Demby would come in at left guard:

So looks like with Whitworth out, Noteboom slides to LT and Demby takes over for Noteboom at LG. So basically, for now, Noteboom is the swing tackle in case of injury.

— Vincent Bonsignore (@VinnyBonsignore) July 29, 2019
Certainly makes a good case for Demby to get locked in on the 53-man roster as of now.

And in terms of the rest of the tackle depth, it’s a bit expected in 2019 NFL Draft picks OL Bobby Evans and OT David Edwards:

Second-team tackles for #Rams today are rookies Bobby Evans (L) and David Edwards (R)

— Vincent Bonsignore (@VinnyBonsignore) July 29, 2019
Defense
I like square dancing.

#LARams AHC/LBs coach Joe Barry leading the ILBs in a shuffle drill. pic.twitter.com/Yz0RZ3RGzV

— Myles Simmons (@MylesASimmons) July 29, 2019
One more practice tomorrow UC Irvine before a joint practice on Thursday with the Los Angeles Chargers at their place.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Are we so sure that our starting LG Noteboom will be our swing OT?

Where's the evidence that Noteboom will swing & flip to the other side if something were to happen to Rob Havenstein @ RT? Could be that Kromer prefers Noteboom on that Blindside. I have also posted many times I felt that Demby was better on the left side too. Its early but a left side of Noteboom LT & Demby LG appears to be future.

Noteboom needs plenty of reps in order to get ready for his first season as a starter & I don't believe that Kromer really wants to mess too much with this young OL'er where he is the main starter @ LG & the primary back up @ LT & then add the RT into the mix .....just does not have a good look to it.

I would consider it much more likely that IF there was a need to replace Havenstein for a period it would come from Jamil Demby, David Edwards or Bobby Evans instead of Joe Noteboom. That's my 2 cents on this.;)

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, I think Noteboom is the LG this year, awaiting his time to replace LT Whitworth. That's his gig, and I think a different guy would step in for Havenstein if he went down...

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Obo is on PUP

That is disappointing. Does anyone know what his foot injury was? If it was a lisfranc he may never see the field.

https://www.therams.com/photos/photos-rams-camp-day-2

This is from day 2 of TC. You can see Obo in uniform right in the middle.
20190730_160644.jpg

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Interesting...we never saw him and I took some time to scan the players on the sideline and on the field to look for him.
I also think that this is him. It's actually one of your photos. There are a lot of players and coaches on the field, and it's not like he's a standout player so it's probably easy to miss him.
D7K_9983.JPG

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice find! I still can’t find him today

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As far as RB is concerned I expect them to carry 4 and it's clear that Henderson has bumped Davis out of his #3 spot. That said it remains to be seen if he can beat John Kelly out for that final spot. This is one of the few spots in question and IMO will come down to Davis having really to shine in pre-season to have a shot. Kelly had a decent rookie outing last year and proved himself on ST's so he probably has the edge. Kelly is a better fit for his offense than Davis, but it was clear they needed more hence the need to draft Henderson.

There's a bit more of a cap hit keeping Davis over Kelly - not ginormous, but Kelly would have $140k + dead money if cut, vs Davis' $5k dead money - and higher salary as a third year player. Plus Kelly would have 2 more years of team control than Davis. Basically, Davis has to beat out Kelly - if it's close Kelly will get the spot.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Are we so sure that our starting LG Noteboom will be our swing OT?

Where's the evidence that Noteboom will swing & flip to the other side if something were to happen to Rob Havenstein @ RT? Could be that Kromer prefers Noteboom on that Blindside. I have also posted many times I felt that Demby was better on the left side too. Its early but a left side of Noteboom LT & Demby LG appears to be future.

Noteboom needs plenty of reps in order to get ready for his first season as a starter & I don't believe that Kromer really wants to mess too much with this young OL'er where he is the main starter @ LG & the primary back up @ LT & then add the RT into the mix .....just does not have a good look to it.

I would consider it much more likely that IF there was a need to replace Havenstein for a period it would come from Jamil Demby, David Edwards or Bobby Evans instead of Joe Noteboom. That's my 2 cents on this.;)
Personally, I don't think he's the swing OT, per se, but I do think he will slide to OLT, somewhat like Saffold did for a while, if Whit goes out. I do NOT think he will slide to RT, if Big Rob is out. So, I pretty much agree with you on the semantics. What is more interesting to me is did Demby improve his body so much in the offseason as to be considered a 2nd team starter?

That is quite a boost from us leaving him unprotected. I, was one of the guys who liked Demby in the preseason, but it was clear he needed to get stronger. yes, he struggled at times, but I saw potential. I am just a little surprised that he is where he is, although, of course, everything can change over the next few weeks. I'd be thrilled if he has markedly improved.