Cam Akers injury, rehab & return

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I almost didn't dare to hope. Akers has more than proven his worth on the field, but I didn't hope for a recovery that was this quick from this kind of injury.

If we get 90% Akers in the playoffs, we'll win the Super Bowl. Calling it now.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Just read Jourdain's article, and it sounds like Cam is 100% on board with attempting to come back for the playoffs. As McVay himself said about the possibility: "Holy shit" !
McVay definitely believes Akers can be back for the playoffs.

Amazing. Shows again that not all injuries, even an Achilles tear, and not all rehabs are the same.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Even then the vast majority suffer performance loss and most are out of the NFL within 3 years.
This is a regurgitated fallacy. There's no legit comps, the guys who "didnt make it back" were guys who were on their last leg in the league (no pun intended) or who didnt belong in the first place

On a side note, I could never find on the Rams official site when he was "officially" placed on the IR. Was curious if he was a pre or post Sep 1 guy

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
McVay said he was running at 80%. Superhero healing powahs. Trying not to get excited but I'm getting excited. :startstruck:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
An educated assessment of McKay's statement on Cam

View: https://youtu.be/6faanS4yYUg

dba7fbefd9f9c97c1df535b94a5d02eb6c-08-debbie-downer.2x.rsocial.w600.png

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is a regurgitated fallacy. There's no legit comps, the guys who "didnt make it back" were guys who were on their last leg in the league (no pun intended) or who didnt belong in the first place

On a side note, I could never find on the Rams official site when he was "officially" placed on the IR. Was curious if he was a pre or post Sep 1 guy
I heard this from McVay himself. It was a tricky-boy move by the Rams. They didn't place him on the season ending IR list. They classified his ACL tear as happening away from the field, which somehow allows him to come back when he can? I believe I understood that distinction...

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I heard this from McVay himself. It was a tricky-boy move by the Rams. They didn't place him on the season ending IR list. They classified his ACL tear as happening away from the field, which somehow allows him to come back when he can? I believe I understood that distinction...
Akers did indeed go on the Non-Football Injury (NFI) list, which does enable him to return. Jourdan Rodrigue explains what happened. Since this is just factual in nature I believe it is fair to briefly quote her from the article I cited in a post above:

On the NFI list, there can be two designations: “Reserve”, which also would indicate a season-ending injury, and “Active”, which means the team would retain the ability to bring back the player. The Rams’ official transaction page lists Akers simply as, “Non-Football Injury” and didn’t publicly specify which technical designation he was assigned at the time, but his designation was officially filed to the NFL’s official transaction page on July 28 as, “counts on active list”, which means Akers has the flexibility to return if he can.​

I encourage everyone to subscribe to the Athletic to read JR's great reporting on the Rams.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Would be absolutely crazy if he's able to come back for the playoffs!

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
I achieved my motorcycle license through 2 days of pouring rain in AZ back in July and then 1 week later a day before going to get a badass bike...this happened unrelated. I feel for Cam Akers, he was our stud and top 3 in the NFL coming into this season, easily if not top 5, Faulk type effect RB.
20210813_143546.jpg

Last edited:

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Even if he is cleared to play, he wouldn't be in game shape... IMO.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
I haven't logged on here in awhile, sorta like this, right? Painful moment still the same ,maybe I'll get Cam's treatment in early 2022. Rock On ROD,ourRams are rolling!!

Attachments

• 20210803_153036.jpg
    20210803_153036.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 38

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
No. You hold him out for next season. He won't be as good as Hendo or Michel coming back from injury. Wait til next year, and see if he's anywhere close to last years ability.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
An educated assessment of McKay's statement on Cam

View: https://youtu.be/6faanS4yYUg

My totally calm and non-homer reply to Dr. Parekh:

Hey Dr. Dumbass, the article is from the Athletic, not the Atlantic, as you mistakenly repeated three times, you idiot!!! And it's not "asterixes", it's "asterisks", you freakin' moron!

Ahem. Okay now that I got that out of my system...

Yeah, that surgeon sure is a Debbie downer on the possibility of Cam returning for the playoffs (as anything more than a decoy). It's his opinion of course... curious what the Rams docs would have to say.

Last thing: as usual, Rams gave less than minimal info on both the injury and the type of surgery performed. As far as I know, we still don't have 100% confirmation that Cam's surgery was for a COMPLETE Achilles rupture as opposed to a PARTIAL Achilles rupture.

All kidding aside... that surgeon gives a sobering account of how hard it is for an NFL player to come back from Achilles' tendon repair surgery.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
These doctors always take a very cautious approach when coming back from surgery. Some people are in better shape going into surgery and work harder after to recover quicker. Many years ago when I was a competitive powerlifter, getting ready for a meet I tore my peck muscle and ripped my triceps, on my right arm off the bone, which had to be surgically attached to the bone. Everyone said I would never be able to be completive again. A little over a year later while competing in the National Powerlifting Championship at the age of 45 I benched pressed 500lbs, for the first time ever to win the 220lb Masters Division. While training for this meet my workout partner would always tell me, "What do these doctors know, they probably can't even bench their own body weight".