Cam Akers injury, rehab & return

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I heard this from McVay himself. It was a tricky-boy move by the Rams. They didn't place him on the season ending IR list. They classified his ACL tear as happening away from the field, which somehow allows him to come back when he can? I believe I understood that distinction...
I get that, that's what I was alluding to.
Jourdain may have jumped the gun when she posted this, which led to one after another posting he was done

View: https://twitter.com/JourdanRodrigue/status/1432800338579320833?s=20

Because on the Rams site, the only transaction naming Akers was this:
1635344987129.png

And he wasnt mentioned on the final cutdowns either:
1635345059821.png

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I dunno. I just can't imagine him being effective coming back so soon from that kind of injury but also having such a long layoff from real action on the field. Its risky. Maybe he'll be cleared to play but will he be ready to play?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
As much of a boon as he might be, I’d like to think that they’re paying VERY close attention to the data and consistent with their long term building approach, the Rams FO let’s him fully rehab the injury so as to maximize his effectiveness when he returns

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I get that, that's what I was alluding to.
Jourdain may have jumped the gun when she posted this, which led to one after another posting he was done

View: https://twitter.com/JourdanRodrigue/status/1432800338579320833?s=20

Because on the Rams site, the only transaction naming Akers was this:
View attachment 49266
And he wasnt mentioned on the final cutdowns either:
View attachment 49267

Rodrigue has clarified her earlier post from the summer. Akers is available to return.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
A fun little tidbit from Monday's 11 Personnel episode Jourdan mentions that when McVay was talking about Cam's potential return in the playoffs he talks about him and Henderson on the field together. Mcvay has plans for a two back set.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Unless he's 100% healthy, I don't want him rushed back.
I would believe he only comes back if the doctors say he's good. How do you determine 100% healthy? If he comes back and gets hurt people will say he came back to soon. I think this FO of the Rams would have the players best interest when it comes to their health.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I would believe he only comes back if the doctors say he's good. How do you determine 100% healthy? If he comes back and gets hurt people will say he came back to soon.

Yes, ... I believe confirmation from 1) his surgeon that everything is clean and there is no need for any further treatment, 2) his personal doctor gives him the OK to play, and 3) that the team doctor arrives at the same conclusion as the previous two should be sufficient.
4) is optional. Increase his personal injury protection (PIP) privately paid insurance policy.

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The Rams have a great medical staff.

I am uneasy the thought of him back so quickly, but this medial staff knows what it’s doing.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I wonder if they can use ultrasound to see how much blood flow is in the tendon... seeing as tendons get MUCH less blood flow than muscles (part of why they heal so much slower and in some instances are never the same).

I could google it, but meh.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
McVay is extra cautious holding people out as a precaution. He won't "rush" Akers. They'll see how he looks in practice and confirm with Cam and a doctor or 2 before sending him out there.

On injuries, been a lifter since high school long long ago and still going and making gains in my 50s. Have never torn anything, I don't even remember pulling anything seriously like a hammy or bicep. Tweaked a back muscle from time to time but always healed that week. The key is to warm up, don't stretch till after the workout, warm up the muscle with a lighter weight set before doing anything. Another thing is know your body, know your limits. If sore, depends, but okay to skip a day. Going straight heavy is something I've never done, I just pyramid up. As far as achilles goes I do some pretty heavy seated calf raises and I'm careful to not screw 'em up. But again I start with a lighter warm up set. And I don't bounce or do shitty reps, just smooth and steady all the way down and as far as I can up. Bouncing is where the achilles comes in. See people in the gym doing it that way a lot and just smh. Don't know how Cam injured himself but I'm thinking the high burst stuff from a stop could cause it more than just normal running or weight sets.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
If Forrest Gump can run a 4.1 second 100-yard dash with knee braces falling by the wayside, Cam is gonna be alright

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
Yeahhh really don’t want to see him rushed back from an Achilles tear especially in his second year

sloramfan

Starter
man... i don't know guys...

of coarse i'm rooting for him but..

achilles.. it's really a serious setback...

to come back fully recovered this year?.... wow

i remember the LB from the chargers that suffered the same injury, and came back a year later, and was a shadow of his former self...

don't get me wrong, i'm rooting for a strong return for cam, but it's really not necessary this year...

don't push your luck...

go rams

slo