Burwell: Rams' top need is for someone to be in charge

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Bryan Burwell
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bryan-burwell/burwell-rams-top-need-is-for-someone-to-be-in/article_71cbb557-e620-5d3b-8d02-a9cd7e1be0d8.html#ixzz1hqUR95kI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... z1hqUR95kI</a>

[wrapimg=left]http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/stltoday.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/8/32/8324814f-e58c-570e-9d68-e6d5e775cda7/4de77355cd1ff.preview-300.jpg[/wrapimg]We are now down to the final week of this decidedly disappointing Rams season, which has only been notable for producing almost as many losses as offensive touchdowns. With results like this, you have to imagine that Rams owner Stan Kroenke must be up to something.

A lot of us have been guessing that Kroenke's priority will be immediately deciding the fates of his general manager, Billy Devaney, and head coach, Steve Spagnuolo. But for the sake of this long-suffering franchise, let's hope Kroenke has his priorities in better order than that. Kroenke has more pressing business to attend to than merely deciding who should be his GM and coach. The most important thing he can do for the long-term good of this franchise is to solve the one institutional problem that has dragged this organization down for decades.

He needs to hire someone to be in charge.

Since the Rams arrived in St. Louis — through every coach who has been hired or fired, for every new general manager, vice president or other fancy title that some front office executive has held — the one glaring trouble with this organization is been figuring out where the buck stops.

We never can figure out who's the ultimate authority figure at Rams Park.

During the John Shaw years, you always got the sense that was done by some Machiavellian design. Whenever you asked someone who made a particularly controversial decision, the answer you heard most often was "wasn't me."

I began to think that this guy, Wasn't Me, was the most powerful man in the organization. That intentional dysfunction created a lack of accountability that ultimately wrecked the franchise.

With the new Rams regime, there's still no one in charge but it seems to be more of a design flaw than a well-orchestrated strategy. With Devaney and Spagnuolo, now at least there is a better sense of accountability because we know that Devaney's in charge of the draft and signing free agents and Spagnuolo is in charge of the on-field product.

But based on the current organizational structure, they share the power — which means we still don't know where the buck stops. There is no one on the football side of the organizational structure who can veto either man. There's no one who can question Devaney's decisions on why he might pass on a particular player in the draft or waiver wire. But there is also no one to overrule Spagnuolo's decisions once the season starts (such as starting the season with only two quarterbacks on the roster or releasing a young and promising kid for an over-the-hill veteran).

In football, there's an old saying that goes like this: When you have two starting QBs, it usually means you don't have one starting QB.

Well, the same thing goes for bosses.

The Rams' biggest organizational problem is they have two bosses, which is one boss too many. So let's hope that Kroenke resists the preoccupation that the rest of the football world has with his coach and GM. He has to know the most pressing issue for this organization is to have a football CEO in the building every day, someone who everyone knows is in charge, someone who has the big office in the corner with the sign on his desk that says "The Buck Stops Here."

In most successful operations, there are no blurred lines that lead you to the top of the food chain. There is no confusion about ultimate authority. In New England, everyone knows it's Bill Belichick's organization. In Baltimore, Ozzie Newsome is the man who makes the final call. In Indianapolis, Bill Polian has been in charge for years.

It's time for the Rams to have that sort of clarity, too.

There's a lot of work to be done at Rams Park. The next few weeks and months should prove to be far more fascinating than anything the football team produced over the past four months of Sundays. The Rams are in a remarkably good position concerning the draft. Whether they land the first or second pick, this makes them even more attractive for anyone interested in coming to St. Louis. What's not to like about the potential for building around a young franchise-type QB who already is in place, and being able to restock the shelves with prime draft picks and a lot of salary-cap room to pursue free agents? (It's $30 million according to the calculations of Sports Illustrated's Peter King.)

As part of his usual business strategy, Kroenke is an extremely private man. He doesn't tell a lot of people what is on his mind and when he does, it's usually not going to leak out publicly before he wants it to do so.

That's one of the reasons rumors coming out of San Diego that Chargers general manager A.J. Smith and former NFL coach-turned broadcaster Jon Gruden already are part of some package deal to St. Louis don't quite ring true. In time we'll see if that was good intelligence or a clever negotiating strategy designed to improve Smith's position with the Chargers.

In the meantime, the more pressing need is for a football CEO in Rams Park. A few months ago, a veteran player asked me a rather interesting question that had been making the rounds in the locker room.

"Who's in charge, Billy or 'Spags'?"

I told him I really didn't know.

"That's OK," said the player, "Neither do we."

That's a problem for an organization when the players aren't sure where the buck stops.

Let's hope Kroenke changes that as quickly as possible.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Re: Burwell: Rams' top need is for someone to be in charge

TRUTH

If Mr Wasn't Me continues to run the franchise , expect more of the same dysfunction. It's pathetic really.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Selassie I said:
TRUTH

If Mr Wasn't Me continues to run the franchise , expect more of the same dysfunction. It's pathetic really.
:lol: I shudder to think what will happen if it comes out that Shaw had ANY say in what this Franchise does going forward after this season.
I almost fully expect you hop a plane and track that mo-fo down.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
X said:
Selassie I said:
TRUTH

:lol: I shudder to think what will happen if it comes out that Shaw had ANY say in what this Franchise does going forward after this season.

I will pay his airfare......

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
X said:

Since the Rams arrived in St. Louis — through every coach who has been hired or fired, for every new general manager, vice president or other fancy title that some front office executive has held — the one glaring trouble with this organization is been figuring out where the buck stops.

Once again, Stan uses Burwell to hint to the fans his focus... namely, finding someone to head-up all operations and to be the liason between football operations, business operations, and Stan's office.

All this talk of HC & GM replacement is just noise, Stan is going to hire a head man/woman, and let them steer the ship.

Good going, Bryan, thanks for keeping us up to date with meaningful insights.

superfan24

Starter
interference said:
X said:

Once again, Stan uses Burwell to hint to the fans his focus... namely, finding someone to head-up all operations and to be the liason between football operations, business operations, and Stan's office.

All this talk of HC & GM replacement is just noise, Stan is going to hire a head man/woman, and let them steer the ship.

Good going, Bryan, thanks for keeping us up to date with meaningful insights.

What about Bernie's meaningful insights. :bign:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Faceplant said:
X said:
Selassie I said:
TRUTH

I'll pay for the brass knuckles.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Memento said:
Faceplant said:
X said:
Selassie I said:
TRUTH

I'll pay for the brass knuckles.
lol. Selassie's gonna go all Buddy Revelle on Shaw's ass.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
It would be a slow death. Visions of the Saw movies flash threw my head.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Selassie I said:

I was thinkin Pulp Fiction. "You hear me talkin', Johnny boy? I ain't through wit you by a damn sight...I'ma get medieval on yo ass."

bluecoconuts

Legend
Selassie I said:

Warning: Language

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HAQ3pNHwj4[/youtube]

X said:

In most successful operations, there are no blurred lines that lead you to the top of the food chain. There is no confusion about ultimate authority. In New England, everyone knows it's Bill Belichick's organization. In Baltimore, Ozzie Newsome is the man who makes the final call. In Indianapolis, Bill Polian has been in charge for years.

Well wasn't that who Deveany was supposed to be?

Back when the Rams org was sitting at the top, then owner Carroll Rosenbloom had a big part in molding his team image, style and brand, a real hands on owner determined to win and make money.

He had the eye to hire a great GM like Don Klosterman. Those 2 made the Rams what they were and there was accountability and transparency.

The GM is above the coach so the question about who's in charge shouldn't even be asked.

I can only hope that Kroenke is as good at owning this current Rams team as he is at marrying and making money.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
BatteringRam said:
X said:

Well wasn't that who Deveany was supposed to be?

Back when the Rams org was sitting at the top, then owner Carroll Rosenbloom had a big part in molding his team image, style and brand, a real hands on owner determined to win and make money.

He had the eye to hire a great GM like Don Klosterman. Those 2 made the Rams what they were and there was accountability and transparency.

The GM is above the coach so the question about who's in charge shouldn't even be asked.

I can only hope that Kroenke is as good at owning this current Rams team as he is at marrying and making money.
Yeah, by all accounts Devaney outranks Spagnuolo (obviously), but they work in concert on a lot of things, and Spagnuolo has final say on the roster. So as a player, you kind of worry about whether or not Spagnuolo is going to cut you after Devaney drafted you or signed you in free agency. It's not a real clear message about who's more important in that regard.

I think the Rams are one of the only teams (if not THE only) that doesn't have a President. They have a vice-president, but no figure-head at the top. And since Stan is silent, he should really appoint someone to be the mouthpiece of the Organization. That way there would be no confusion at all. Everyone answers to ___________.