Burns Tagged

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
I don't see the Rams signing any splash players, IMO any FA signings will be like last year, low to mid-range FAs to fill holes as bridge players. I think it would be a mistake to give up on Durant. I would love them to trade DK to Raheem for the 6th round pick they wasted on him.

If Williams is willing to play for a discount I would love him back as a SCB. I wouldn't mind Witherspoon back as a one year bridge for the rookie they will draft. Tomlinson isn't an outside CB at this level. If he's going to make it he will have to learn to play inside. That said the Rams have a good SCB in Shelley and they have Lake and Taylor to play safety.

If Hoecht drops the weight and gets back to his rookie weight of about 280 just simply play him as strictly a DE. Morris kept rotating him out to OLB and he's not an OLB. Just leave him at DE and occasionally rotate Donald to DE and they don't need an edge. Hoecht had 6 sacks as a part time DE which is pretty good. He's probably a 7-8 sack type of DE which is all you normally expect from a DE. They weren't getting pressure primarily because of how the DL was played. Go to a one gap attacking scheme and they already have a good front for that. Young needs to improve his hand play and counters and he will blossom into a very dangerous edge. Turner and Donald inside is a very dangerous combo.

I think they will give Durant one more year. Last year was stunted for him because Raheem was favoring DK which was a huge mistake. CB is the weakness on the defense. But I see that as a focus in this year's draft. I'd be surprised if they didn't take a CB on the second day.

Lake showed he's definitely a starting safety. The jury is still out on Yeast. I think Fuller is gone. Taylor lost the year due to injury but he's got the tools like Lake to be a good safety. He's got good speed for the position giving him the range lacking in Fuller and Rapp. I think Snead got it right with Lake and Taylor.

If they keep DK he's a limited situational player. He will always require safety help as he can't be left on an island due to his limited athleticism.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No thanks on Smith. I'd rather sign a younger edge rusher to a longer-term deal (thinking Uche, Epenesa, Van Ginkel, Armstrong, someone like that). Smith is just a band aid.
Fair enough. I think band aids are unfortunately in play though. Given the guys who were tagged today and the guys who are gonna feed off of the limited options.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Smith on a short contract. Grab Verse in the 1st. Young or Verse becomes the sub rusher. Verse and Smith flexibility to also move to interior on 3rd down packages. Can never have enough pass rushers.

We don't just need 1 more pass rusher, we really actually need 1.5 more pass rushers.
Exactly my thought.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Burns got the non exclusive tag so the Rams could sign him to an offer sheet, hope the Panthers don't match, and give up the picks. Or simply negotiate a trade for the team probably looking to recoup the draft capital they gave up for their tiny QB.

Established 25 year old freak pass rushers pass rushers with his length and in their prime are almost like unicorns. Bring on the next foundational piece Snead.

Seems odd that some are willing to trade up for a rookie maybe which would involve dealing #19 and other picks, but trading for as established vet at hard to fill position is taboo.:thinking:

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
Upon further review, while I still believe that two late 1st round picks is a decent price for a young premium pass rusher in his prime, the Panthers cap situation just might help get a cheaper deal done.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Burns got the non exclusive tag so the Rams could sign him to an offer sheet, hope the Panthers don't match, and give up the picks. Or simply negotiate a trade for the team probably looking to recoup the draft capital they gave up for their tiny QB.

Established 25 year old freak pass rushers pass rushers with his length and in their prime are almost like unicorns. Bring on the next foundational piece Snead.

Seems odd that some are willing to trade up for a rookie maybe which would involve dealing #19 and other picks, but trading for as established vet at hard to fill position is taboo.:thinking:
It isn't taboo, it's the price tag of a vet vs low cost of a rookie if you hit on that rookie that makes it a huge consideration. It's all risk one way or another. Some people just comfortable with different risks vs others. I'm just here for the ride hahaha

Memphis Ram

Legend
It isn't taboo, it's the price tag of a vet vs low cost of a rookie if you hit on that rookie that makes it a huge consideration. It's all risk one way or another.
But that's just it. IF you hit on the rookie vs. an established veteran in his prime. There haven't been many stud pass rushers selected #19 or later in the first round of the NFL draft.

And this team is still in its Donald, Kupp, Stafford window. Should they really want to wait for a rookie maybe to develop or go for it?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yup.
Somehow the idea of trading capital for a player you hope turns out to be as good as a Burns makes more sense than trading for the genuine article

Now they can trade for Burns, blow some of that cap space on him and then still be in good position for comp picks if they lose Dotson

Memphis Ram

Legend
Which also don't always work out and are as hard to acquire as a rookie who can produce.
I agree that they are hard to acquire as they are rarely made available (established pass rushers in their prime) because they are so valuable.

But I like the chances of this one producing far more than anyone in this draft class that would still have to fall to #19 (unless the Rams traded up).

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
But that's just it. IF you hit on the rookie vs. an established veteran in his prime. There haven't been many stud pass rushers selected #19 or later in the first round of the NFL draft.

And this team is still in its Donald, Kupp, Stafford window. Should they really want to wait for a rookie maybe to develop or go for it?
I'm all good for what the Rams ultimately decide to do. We don't know what compensation will get us a stud so there's also that. I also agree it's a big if on a rookie as well. Lots of decisions to be made.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Old guys joking, @Memento ...Look up early MASH episodes for reference....
1709698655313.png

dang

Legend
Upon further review, while I still believe that two late 1st round picks is a decent price for a young premium pass rusher in his prime, the Panthers cap situation just might help get a cheaper deal done.
I predict both Burns and the Panthers will regret the tag if a trade isn’t accomplished.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I predict both Burns and the Panthers will regret the tag if a trade isn’t accomplished.
Dont agree with that. What other option is there? Let him just walk?
Burns gets 21 mill guaranteed, and with Evero as DC I could see him having a monster season and then enter 2025 as a 26 y/o UFA, or gets traded at the trade deadline.
Who knows, Carolina could have a Houston like turnaround and Burns could be the anchor of the D

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I really think people on here overrate Burns. Is he good, sure I guess. Elite? I'd say decidedly no. Could he become Elite? Sure. I'm sorry, he is not elite and is nowhere near the value for 2 1st round picks AND a massive 25m+ contract. Burns had slightly more production then Young, at least in sacks (1 more). Young had more tackles and forced fumbles, so I'd say even.

Is Young Elite? Burns is overrated IMO and I'd rather just outright sign FA Hunter who is far closer to the Elite status (double the sacks of Burns) and won't cost us draft capital.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Interesting Fact:
Despite playing five NFL seasons, Brian Burns is actually one month younger than Byron Young.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really think people on here overrate Burns
You mean people like Sean McVay and Snead?
That's who I have the complete confidence in and if he's the guy they have to have, (like it was reported in the past) I'm all for it.
He wouldnt replace Young, the 2 would make a hell of a pair
I like Hunter also, but he is significantly older, will cost a ton and would cost draft capital in the sense that signing him would likely knock them out of comp picks

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
When they made that offer of 2 1st's, Burns was coming off a much better season.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
If the Rams want Burns, they just need a big enough number. It’ll cost them 19, but that beats hell outta 2x 1sts and then the contract.