Britt's Impact

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That would make more sense to me if he were given better than a 1 year prove it deal with limited guaranteed money.

Why pay him more than the market rate? They have to cover themselves just in case he can't get out of his funk. But they're hoping he returns to the form he showed the last time he played for Fisher. At worst he can show quick how to use his frame to his advantage.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Yuck.

I seriously hope he was just draggin' ass those past two years and/or the QB situation just didn't give him the opportunity to shine, because color me completely unimpressed with what I saw. He can run good routes, and is pretty strong after the catch, but man I just don't see anything there to indicate he can be a go-to guy anymore.

To be fair, he looked like a completely different receiver in 2010 and 2011. Crisp, explosive cuts, played angry, snatched the ball out of the air, and actually sought out contact instead of avoiding it. But after that knee injury, it just looked to me like he has really heavy legs, developed stone hands, and too often looked upfield instead of looking the ball in.

Gotta wonder if he ever recovered mentally from the barrage of injuries he's had so far in his career. Shoulder, hamstring, ankle, groin, knee, hamstring again, ankle again, and foot. Maybe a new environment and re-dedication to his craft will resurrect his career. I certainly hope so, because if we get the Kenny Britt first edition, we're good. Kenny Britt 2.0 isn't going to help us a lot, IMO.

This is what I was talking about in another thread when I had said that Britt's issues go beyond effort. His knees have taken away his explosiveness. He's slow out of his breaks, he's slow off the line, and he wasn't leaping like he did before the injuries.

Fisher can fix the effort, but I have my doubts that physically Kenny Britt will ever come close to reaching his potential.

Ramatik

Starter
zyp694R.jpg
Funny, I watched that movie last night.

We need to see a little luck in the receiver department. Guys have break-out, comebacks, step up, make a name, get-it every frickin year.

The Rams are due!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Why pay him more than the market rate? They have to cover themselves just in case he can't get out of his funk. But they're hoping he returns to the form he showed the last time he played for Fisher. At worst he can show quick how to use his frame to his advantage.

I don't know about all that, but I do enjoy your routine rotation of avatars. (y)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Givens is going to have a monster year. Britt just around for vet leadership and to push Pettis IMO

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cook was another player whose impact was only going to last if the spread passing attack succeeded. Now that we're back to being a smashmouth, run-first team, Cookie's not even going to be on the field half the time.
Yup. If the move to "smash mouth" began at the Jacksonville game, his numbers from that point on were 34 catches for 431 yards and 3 td
I'd think that the upgrade to Bradford for a full season with him would improve that, but not by too much

I think Britt is just around to give Fisher one of "his guys" with the WR core. Cook shoulda been that guy last year but the spread was abysmal. If Britt makes the team, its not for straight up better play on the field IMO. He'd have to be offering leadership of some variety. That said, keep sleeping on Givens. I say he's gonna be a beast this year

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bet. I just have a feeling Quick is going to breakout
If he doubles his career high in catches, he'd finish with 36. On one hand, some would say doubling your career high is a "breakout" on the other hand....

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Hope you're right, as I told X it's money I'm more than happy to give up if Quick has a fantastic season.

Just to be clear we are talking ROD money not really money?
Wait.

What?

I thought we were playing with $2M of real money here.
Psh. This is nothing then.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Britt's deal is only one year and only 550K is guaranteed, the rest of the 1.4 mil is incentives. So two things come to mind.....

They knew Bailey was going to get suspended and bought a cheap insurance policy AND/OR they figured he was worth having as a bridge while the younger guys come on this year.

Low risk signing for sure and if he gets cut a couple of weeks after Bailey is back no great loss. If he is playing well then it's a big bonus.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Saw the same thing. That's why I wasn't enthused about the signing. But maybe it works out.

Personally I think Britt needs to start fast and look good in camp from day one, or he's gone. Fish isn't going to mess around with him. As some have noted he probably was brought in to make up for Bailey's suspension, but the problem with him is he isn't going to make a difference on special teams. So I don't see the Rams keeping him around for long unless he wins a spot higher vice lower on that depth chart.

I want to see him get out-competed by Quick and Givens both having monster camps. I just don't like being in a position where we are counting on Britt. No thanks.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Personally I think Britt needs to start fast and look good in camp from day one, or he's gone. Fish isn't going to mess around with him. As some have noted he probably was brought in to make up for Bailey's suspension, but the problem with him is he isn't going to make a difference on special teams. So I don't see the Rams keeping him around for long unless he wins a spot higher vice lower on that depth chart.

I want to see him get out-competed by Quick and Givens both having monster camps. I just don't like being in a position where we are counting on Britt. No thanks.

I agree with that part big time but it's nice to have him just in case LOL.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle

Agreed. And I think this will happen. I have a good feeling about both of those guys this year (Quick and Givens). I see the starters towards the middle or end of the season being Tavon, Quick, Givens/Bailey. Bailey could interchange with Tavon or Givens, but I really do think Quick is gonna step it up this year.