Brian Quick on the Vincent jackson plan

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
The discussion about Barksdale is valid. Some use the agument that drafting what amounts to a guard top 5-6 doesnt make sense. Ive been saying all along you draft him and if hes the best right tackle why wouldnt you play him there? And I firmlly believe that the ooffensive line will make everybody better. And this talk about Quick not being better whether or not bradford was there is a littlle silly. In What worlld is clemons as good as bradford?

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Saying that someone is a #1 WR because he's the best WR on a given team, is like saying every starting QB is a Franchise QB since they're starting for a franchise.

RFIP

m warming up to the idea of drafting Watkins but i dont think that will happen. Especially the way its looking like were going to loose Saffold to FreeAgency. We have to build this line up to give Sam and the receivers time and to help Stacy and company in the run game. build the line so we can run block without the extra te. So we can spread it out more and utilize all our weapons. Fix line, Get upgrade @ Safety and decent backup Qb. less penalties and were ready

Ready for what?

Ready to watch all three divisional foes shut down our run game AGAIN?

Ready to watch our wr's unable to get off press coverage?

Ready to see them drop more passes when they finally do get open?

I'm not ready for any of that but I AM ready for the Rams to FINALLY draft a true #1 wr.

THIS is what I'm "ready" for
th
th
th
th
th
th
th

Ready for what?

Ready to watch all three divisional foes shut down our run game AGAIN?

Ready to watch our wr's unable to get off press coverage?

Ready to see them drop more passes when they finally do get open?

I'm not ready for any of that but I AM ready for the Rams to FINALLY draft a true #1 wr.

THIS is what I'm "ready" for
th
th
th
th
th
th
th

How does Watkins stop our running game from being "shut down"?

Alan

Legend
I'm assuming he's thinking that if the D respects the pass more the run game will benefit. In general I agree with that but it doesn't mean it will have as big an effect as improving the O-line.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Sammy Watkins is a dude who caught a ton of very short passes in a wide open offense in college. Why people think he is the next Jerry Ricecake is beyond me. OL. OL. OL........ oh, and O. L.

RFIP

How does Watkins stop our running game from being "shut down"?

Seriously?

How in the world does ANY defense dare out 8 in the box with Austin to one side and Watkins to the other?

It won't happen or the Rams will lead the league in +50 yard tds.

Seriously?

How in the world does ANY defense dare out 8 in the box with Austin to one side and Watkins to the other?

Nah I was having you on :fishing: I think we'll be able to run the ball no problem regardless of who's on our O line as long as we draft Watkins.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Seriously?

I don't think ANYONE put 8 in the box against us much last year even with Clemons back there. And yet our running game was very stoppable even when we dedicated a TE to blocking. I am ok with Watkins if he is truly an elite caliber WR. I just don't think he is and we need serious help at various positions along our O-line. Watkins doesn't help our running game if defenses can keep normal alignments and still shut down the lanes.

RFIP

I don't think ANYONE put 8 in the box against us much last year even with Clemons back there. And yet our running game was very stoppable even when we dedicated a TE to blocking. I am ok with Watkins if he is truly an elite caliber WR. I just don't think he is and we need serious help at various positions along our O-line. Watkins doesn't help our running game if defenses can keep normal alignments and still shut down the lanes.

Seattle plays 8 in the box in their base defense. It is RARE to see them in a Tampa shell.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Seattle plays 8 in the box in their base defense. It is RARE to see them in a Tampa shell.
If you consider Kam playing up a couple yards from his safety spot a true 8 in the box then maybe. They will deploy that defense (one safety over the top) largely between the 20s but not as their true base defense - depending on who they are playing. When we ran all over them, they were playing 7 most of the game IIRC. They were playing five men up with two in the standard LB slots. Kam would cheat up a couple yards but not up in the box.

The second game we saw a fair number of 8 mans because IMO Seattle knew our long ball threat was insignificant. I don't equate that to being on the receivers. I equate that to the lack of ability in KC's arm. They definitely played a lot of 8 man against SF but had to abandon it more in the second game as the Whiners were making them pay on the edges. IMO - where the 8 man can get killed is when you have an effective blocking scheme at the edges of the line and if pass plays have time to develop so that one safety is not enough help over the top. You have to be able to block their typical five man front for that to happen.

Alan

Legend
I think you need only look at who was playing on our O-line in those games where our running game was dominant who was playing when it sucked.

Memphis Ram

Legend
okay cool. Danny fits your definition of a #1 - not mine.

No. Amendola does not fit my definition of a #1 WR. In fact, I haven't even offered one on this forum.

I merely stated that he fit every criteria that YOU listed as a go-to WR?

Again:

Amendola had to be accounted for on every play.
Amendola consistently separated.
Amendola won 1 on 1 coverage and caught the ball.
When the game was on the line everyone knew the ball was going to him and he still made plays.

iced

No. Amendola does not fit my definition of a #1 WR. In fact, I haven't even offered one on this forum.

Again:

When the game was on the line everyone knew the ball was going to him and he still made plays.

Consistently separated - in short areas....

And I disagree that he was one of those receivers "when the game was on the line" - I think he's a good #2 - but that's when he's 100%...

didn't really need to think I also needed to add health as a factor - figured that was a given. Danny hasn't been healthy in 3 years.

Alan

Legend
Rams and Gators running short on blue ink:
Nah I was having you on :fishing: I think we'll be able to run the ball no problem regardless of who's on our O line as long as we draft Watkins.
:LOL:

xander47

Rookie

Again: