Brett Favre on concussions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
They should make EVERY player of college and professional football sign a paper of understanding that they understand the risks of playing tackle football, so they remember after 20 years of football that they understood the risks and yet still chose to play a kids game for millions of dollars.

My give-shyte-meter is now fully pegged...

I have mixed feelings on this.

One thing I know is that just looking at words and signing a paper doesn't mean anyone understands anything.

Let a former player who's really in the deepshit show what it looks like when it goes really bad.

I mean, if there was a game show where people got a 16lb bowling ball dropped on their head and they were told, "this is gonna hurt and could very easily end in death" that doesn't create an understanding. For very little money, people would sign up.

Actually watching a bowling ball smash some corpse's melon? That might change people's minds. And I acknowledge that some people don't recognize how statistically even the worst of us is a statistical miracle in the scientific sense and value themselves and their lives very cheaply.

I mean if Mike Webster was still alive and could have young collegians just sit in a room with him while his story was conveyed...that would mean a hell of a lot more than some "warning label"... just like meeting someone with super bad emphysema or a hole in their throat or their mandible surgically removed is a hell of a lot more compelling to a young smoker than a warning label on a pack of cigarettes.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
If you have a choice to hurt yourself long-term as opposed to not, and you choose to hurt yourself long-term, you have only yourself to blame, for you made the choice.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
They should make EVERY player of college and professional football sign a paper of understanding that they understand the risks of playing tackle football, so they remember after 20 years of football that they understood the risks and yet still chose to play a kids game for millions of dollars.

Favre claims he didn't know the risks. Whether you believe him or not is another matter. Today's players can't say that.

While I agree that players who know the risks of the game and continue to play anyway shouldn't complain, the problem is that this health risk may cause the NFL to morph into a 16-game version of the Pro Bowl and signal its demise in popularity.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Favre claims he didn't know the risks. Whether you believe him or not is another matter. Today's players can't say that.

While I agree that players who know the risks of the game and continue to play anyway shouldn't complain, the problem is that this health risk may cause the NFL to morph into a 16-game version of the Pro Bowl and signal its demise in popularity.

Of course, we all see it and that's the latent anger you see in my posts. With every player that goes public like Favre did, the game that I love is closer to death. I would rather see it die now, than have it morph into a game we don't recognize. jmho.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Yeah, I forgot my keys and they were in my hand. Where are my glasses, and they're on your head. You know, I wonder if that's what it is, or do I - do I have early stages of C.T.E.? I don't know.'

That can happen without having a single concussion ever or anything resembling CTE. It's called "getting old", and it's actually a condition you are lucky to have relative to people who die young.

Now, I'm not saying *I've* ever done this coughbullsh!tcoughliar!cough ... um, but I know of people (yeah, that's the ticket) who have looked all over the house for glasses that were on their head and for keys that were in their hand ... and those people also have the condition known as "getting old".

Sorry. But I’m sick of hearing about all this CTE bullcrap. YOU chose to play for 20 years. YOU chose to not miss games due to concussions or at least symptoms. YOU decided to pursue a career as QB for the NFL.

Not a single person cares what happens to us normal people at jobs. I’ve gotten broken bones and torn ligaments. But because I’m not a professional athlete, it’s not a big deal.

Concussions are apart of the game. They always will be. You can take the kickoffs away. You can do whatever else to try and take them out of the sport. It will never ever ever ever ever ever change.

It sounds harsh, but you are right. For years and years we knew that a similar condition occurred with boxers, but for some reason, everybody just accepted that it was part of the game so to speak. I don't understand why football is different.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
It sounds harsh, but you are right. For years and years we knew that a similar condition occurred with boxers, but for some reason, everybody just accepted that it was part of the game so to speak. I don't understand why football is different.
It’s all about the money my friend. The NFL does not want to get sued or lose money. They’ll dumb the game down just to keep their profit.