Breaking News: Schiano discovers new late-game strategy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Iron Lion

Starter
Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano has discovered a new desperation strategy for the final seconds of a football game.

In the event that the Buccaneers' opponent intends to allow the game clock to wind to within, say, 0:05 and then kick a game-winning field goal, Schiano has instructed his defense to repeatedly make contact with the offensive line every time the teams line up so as to draw an encroachment flag. The defense has been told to do this ad nauseam until the opposing team is finally exasperated and decides to run a regular offensive play.

"It's good, tough, clean, hard-nosed, thick-skulled football," Schiano said. "We've run this play... oh... in five years we've given up four touchdowns, so the strategy is obviously working. We just need to play better defense when we get in that situation. We won't change the way we play. We will continue to smash our heads into the wall until it works. That's what toughness is all about."

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Iron Lion said:
Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano has discovered a new desperation strategy for the final seconds of a football game.

In the event that the Buccaneers' opponent intends to allow the game clock to wind to within, say, 0:05 and then kick a game-winning field goal, Schiano has instructed his defense to repeatedly make contact with the offensive line every time the teams line up so as to draw an encroachment flag. The defense has been told to do this ad nauseam until the opposing team is finally exasperated and decides to run a regular offensive play.

"It's good, tough, clean, hard-nosed, thick-skulled football," Schiano said. "We've run this play... oh... in five years we've given up four touchdowns, so the strategy is obviously working. We just need to play better defense when we get in that situation. We won't change the way we play. We will continue to smash our heads into the wall until it works. That's what toughness is all about."
:mrgreen:

had

Rookie
I think the Bucs coach thought he could surprise the Giants, who clearly weren't expecting the defense to try to dislodge the ball on a kneel down. I also think the Bucs coach was ticked off that his team blew that game, and thought that he had a right to try and grab it back.

I can see that people would say you just don't do that kind of thing, but what if the Bucs NT gets in there, dislodges the ball, and the Bucs get it back? Was it worth a shot?

In certain circumstances I would definitely green light that if I was the coach.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
had said:
I think the Bucs coach thought he could surprise the Giants, who clearly weren't expecting the defense to try to dislodge the ball on a kneel down. I also think the Bucs coach was ticked off that his team blew that game, and thought that he had a right to try and grab it back.

I can see that people would say you just don't do that kind of thing, but what if the Bucs NT gets in there, dislodges the ball, and the Bucs get it back? Was it worth a shot?

In certain circumstances I would definitely green light that if I was the coach.

Nah man, that move was bush league and the explanation by Schiano that they play hard whistle to whistle was bullshit.

He was angry they blew a huge 4th quarter lead. Thats why they did what they did. There were plays during the game where TB players gave visibly less effort. Plays that were monumental in the outcome including the last TD scored by NY. TB had guys just standing there, unwilling to step up and hit the RB in the hole.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
I keep hearing this phrase "bush league", obviously I've worked out what it means from the context but what is the origin of it?

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
ScotsRam said:
I keep hearing this phrase "bush league", obviously I've worked out what it means from the context but what is the origin of it?

That's a good question. Got me wondering myself. This is what i found:

The term "bush league" has a literal meaning as well as an idiomatic meaning. It originated as a term for minor league baseball, which is often played in rural towns that are sometimes referred to as "the sticks" or "the bush." The term "bush league" has come to refer to anything that is considered amateurish in nature or of lesser quality, rather than being of the highest professional quality.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
libertadrocks said:
had said:

Nah man, that move was bush league and the explanation by Schiano that they play hard whistle to whistle was bullshit.

He was angry they blew a huge 4th quarter lead. Thats why they did what they did. There were plays during the game where TB players gave visibly less effort. Plays that were monumental in the outcome including the last TD scored by NY. TB had guys just standing there, unwilling to step up and hit the RB in the hole.
I guess it's a matter of perspective , but the "Miracle in the Meadowlands " was a handoff where the Giants COULD have done a kneel down and it caused the Eagles to win the game .

JMO but it was only "bush" because it didn't work,if it had worked Schiano would be the shape of things to come, the take no quarter brash young coach who outsmarted the wise old Caughlin.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't have a problem with what the Bucs did. I hear a lot of people say that it'll result in an injury, but that would be the fault of the offensive linemen if it did. Not anything the defense was doing. When you see a defense lining up low like they're going to explode off the line, then it's your DUTY as an offensive lineman to get down low to prepare for it. Treat it like any other short-yardage situation.

Who is the offense to dictate when the game is over?

Nah, I actually like what they did.

Iron Lion

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
libertadrocks said:
Nah man, that move was bush league and the explanation by Schiano that they play hard whistle to whistle was BS.

The only plays I saw the Bucs "quit" on was on the last two plays of NYG's final drive where the Bucs were obviously letting them score for tactical reasons. The first play the NYG RB saw what was happening and went down. The very next play I guess the coaches told him to just take the sure TD.

X said:
I don't have a problem with what the Bucs did. I hear a lot of people say that it'll result in an injury, but that would be the fault of the offensive linemen if it did. Not anything the defense was doing. When you see a defense lining up low like they're going to explode off the line, then it's your DUTY as an offensive lineman to get down low to prepare for it. Treat it like any other short-yardage situation.

It was a punk move. I mean it's a sucker punch there is nothing Schiano can say to defend himself.

If he really was just playing this game out to the final whistle, if this was really a tactical move on his part and not just a tantrum for blowing a double-digit lead, he would have called timeout after the play and made the Giants run another one. Look at the tape. Bucs had one timeout left. There was 0:02 on the clock after the play ended. The player who took the snap was tackled behind the line of scrimmage and therefore by rule the clock had to stop until the ball was spotted. (Or does that rule not apply inside of 2:00?) In either case, there was still 0:02 on the clock, exactly how much time was on the clock when your Fisher called timeout in week 1 vs my Lions to set up the final play. Schiano could have called timeout, but he did not because it was not a legitimate attempt at getting the ball back. It was, in the voice of Mike Tyson, a "bits move."

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Iron Lion said:
libertadrocks said:
Nah man, that move was bush league and the explanation by Schiano that they play hard whistle to whistle was BS.

The only plays I saw the Bucs "quit" on was on the last two plays of NYG's final drive where the Bucs were obviously letting them score for tactical reasons. The first play the NYG RB saw what was happening and went down. The very next play I guess the coaches told him to just take the sure TD.

I understand what you're saying. They did let them score for tactical reasons. If they hadnt let them score then, in all likelihood, the Bucs wouldnt have gotten the opportunity to tie the game.

There is an inherent contradiction in there tho. You have a better chance to come up and hit the RB, forcing a fumble, than to force a fumble on a kneel down.

The also, according to Schiano, didnt play whistle to whistle in the first half when they allowed Eli to kneel to get to half time. They were willing to honor the unspoken rule of allowing the kneel in the first half but not in the second. Thats a good way to hurt someone. Can you imagine how irate this board would be if it had been against us and Bradford or Turner got hurt.

Bottom line... They had 59:55 to win the game and didnt. Had they even forced the fumble, the Bucs, in all likelihood, still lose as time would have expired before they put the offense on the field.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
To me, this is about sportsmanship and not strategy. You telling me that Schiano based teams have always done this in the past? If they have, then the Giants should have been prepared for it, I guess, but I doubt that he has ALWAYS done this. Nobody likes it when the winning team throws a deep pass with a game already won, but that's what is going to happen to Schiano now. You reap what you sow, so he should expect opposing teams to hammer the shit out of him in the future when they already have secured the win.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
To me, this is about sportsmanship and not strategy. You telling me that Schiano based teams have always done this in the past? If they have, then the Giants should have been prepared for it, I guess, but I doubt that he has ALWAYS done this. Nobody likes it when the winning team throws a deep pass with a game already won, but that's what is going to happen to Schiano now. You reap what you sow, so he should expect opposing teams to hammer the shit out of him in the future when they already have secured the win.

He didnt even do that in the first half...lol

He was just pissy.

Dochal

UDFA
libertadrocks said:
ScotsRam said:

That's a good question. Got me wondering myself. This is what i found:

The term "bush league" has a literal meaning as well as an idiomatic meaning. It originated as a term for minor league baseball, which is often played in rural towns that are sometimes referred to as "the sticks" or "the bush." The term "bush league" has come to refer to anything that is considered amateurish in nature or of lesser quality, rather than being of the highest professional quality.

Should have asked me...I'm old enough to remember the term and its orgin WITHOUT looking anything up! lol

Dochal

UDFA
X said:

X, as one who would qualify on a certain other board that shall remain nameless as one of your "minions," I must respectfully disagree. I have a problem with what Schiano did because he was breaking one of the game's unwritten conventions and also because I can't stand him. He was being petulant for the reason cited by other posters, pure and simple. I watched enough Rutgers football to know that such a move was NEVER a part of his repertoire there, so there was no matter of coaching style or philosophy at play here. Granted, the Giants should have prepared themselves when they recognized what was going on, but was Schiano did was straight from the bush leagues.

Did I mention that I can't stand the guy?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Dochal said:
X said:

X, as one who would qualify on a certain other board that shall remain nameless as one of your "minions," I must respectfully disagree. I have a problem with what Schiano did because he was breaking one of the game's unwritten conventions and also because I can't stand him. He was being petulant for the reason cited by other posters, pure and simple. I watched enough Rutgers football to know that such a move was NEVER a part of his repertoire there, so there was no matter of coaching style or philosophy at play here. Granted, the Giants should have prepared themselves when they recognized what was going on, but was Schiano did was straight from the bush leagues.

Did I mention that I can't stand the guy?
That's cool, Doc. I agree it's unconventional, and maybe it had the undertones of douchebaggery to it, but I dunno. It just didn't bother me. Maybe if Pete Carrol did it, I'd see it in a different light though. lol. Then again, if Fisher did it, how would I feel about it? I guess a lot of it hinges on who the hell does it, yeah?

I was mainly responding to the idea that people are saying it will cause injuries. I don't agree with that. I mean, yeah. Sure it's possible. But that would be the fault of the O-line that didn't recognize that the defense is lining up to bring the heat. That's a very familiar formation they witnessed, and you just gotta prepare for it.

Now that we're talking about it though, what do you think his motivation was? Just to be a douche? Or do you think that he was doing everything in his power to make sure he tried everything he could to pull out a win? Or is he just someone who refuses to let someone tell him what to do? Meaning, the offense isn't going to tell HIM when the game is over (that kinda thing).

Iron Lion

Starter
X - aside from being a douche, the motivation to it was probably to try to beat the quit out of a team did plenty of quitting the previous year.

And it's going to be very interesting when these dirty, oh sorry, tough-defense, trash-talking Rams play these cheap-shot Bucs. If the Rams win but Schiano's "bits move" at the end blows out Sam's knee, what then? Aside from Austin Davis stepping in like Kurt Warner and just tearing it up.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Iron Lion said:
X - aside from being a douche, the motivation to it was probably to try to beat the quit out of a team did plenty of quitting the previous year.

And it's going to be very interesting when these dirty, oh sorry, tough-defense, trash-talking Rams play these cheap-shot Bucs. If the Rams win but Schiano's "bits move" at the end blows out Sam's knee, what then? Aside from Austin Davis stepping in like Kurt Warner and just tearing it up.

We're about as dirty as your defense is.

Anyway, I haven't seen anyone do what Schiano did. Not even a bush league would have pulled that crap. I hope we run up the score on his team the next time we play them.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Iron Lion said:
If the Rams win but Schiano's "bits move" at the end blows out Sam's knee, what then?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vfzpJtXrD8[/youtube]

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
bluecoconuts said:
Iron Lion said:
If the Rams win but Schiano's "bits move" at the end blows out Sam's knee, what then?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vfzpJtXrD8[/youtube]
Ha!

Best animated series ever.

Iron Lion

Starter
Memento said:
We're about as dirty as your defense is.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKccCpcDmc0[/youtube]

Yeah you guys have a ways to go. But you're getting there.