Breaking News - Fan falls from upper deck at baseball game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
This is freakin' chilling.... just happened like an hour ago.

ARLINGTON, Texas -- A male fan, who fell from the second deck to the field level seats while leaning to catch a foul ball hit during Tuesday's game at Rangers Ballpark, was stabilized, responsive and moving his extremities as he was taken to John Peter Smith hospital in Fort Worth.

Texas Rangers officials didn't know the name of the fan, who was described as a middle-aged, white male. The man fell from Section 235 on the club level, hit the railing on the suite level and landed in the lower deck down the first base line. The drop is about 30 feet.

Four other fans were injured, but were being treated by paramedics at the stadium.

"Clearly, our team and our fans are deeply concerned," the Rangers said in a statement. "We are prayerful and hopeful for his well-being and the others who were injured in this incident."

The fan fell after Nelson Cruz hit a foul ball down the right field line in the bottom of the fifth with the Rangers leading the Cleveland Indians 3-1. The man attempted to catch the ball and tumbled over the railing.

The event left the ballpark silent and play was suspended for 16 minutes as the field was cleared. Several players were bowing their heads and appeared to be praying while others watched intently as paramedics were attending to the fan. He was taken off by a stretcher.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf3Z0gwo73I[/youtube]

[espn]5359506[/espn]

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Re: Breaking News - Fan falls from upper deck at baseball ga

Oh man, I can't imagine being there. The ump, players, and the fans rxns is just crazy. Hope the guy is alright.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

"The preliminary indications are that it could have been a lot worse," Rangers president Nolan Ryan said after the game. "You are concerned for the fan and for the other people who were hurt during the fall. Our emergency personnel got their very quickly and got him stabilized. I'm very proud of that."

The fan who fell - his name has not yet been released - was taken to John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth. According to Rangers spokesman John Blake he was able to move all his extremities and was responsive to emergency personnel. He was expected to be kept at least overnight.

The four fans who were injured by his fall were all treated at Rangers Ballpark and did not require hospitalization. One small child received a contusion on his face, Ryan said. He visited with the fans at the treatment area.

The incident happened at about 8:30 p.m. with the Rangers leading 3-1 in the bottom of the fifth. As personnel attended to the fan, umpires stopped play and waved players off the field. The umpires met with Ryan and later with the managers. The game was resumed after a 16-minute delay. Ryan said the discussion was not about suspending or canceling the game.

"We were just going to do everything to make sure that everybody had been attended to," Ryan said. "We were going to wait as long as we needed to take care of it and any other injuries and then we were going to resume the game."

<a class="postlink" href="http://rangersblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/07/nolan-ryan-on-fans-fall-at-ran.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://rangersblog.dallasnews.com/archi ... t-ran.html</a>

Lesson

Oh, really?

I heard about that. It could have been worse. Anyways, I was too distracted in watching my team(the Cardinals) implode against the Rockies and blow a 7 run lead. :oops:

superfan24

Starter

Wow that is scary

RamsFan4Life

Starter

That's gunna leave a mark...........

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

DR RAM said:
StlouisramsX said:
DR RAM said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/news/story?id=6747510

Now this is freaky, these happened almost exactly a year apart.
Holy shit. And at the same park. That is eery.
Remind me not to go there next July.
Of if you do go, break out your alligator arms when a foul ball comes your way. I wonder if they'll make stadium changes now - higher walls or higher railings. There's bound to be public outcry over these incidences now.

RamsFan4Life

Starter

As a kid my grammie's boss had season tiks for all the locals.....Rams, Kings, LakeShow, Dodgers and Angels.......and I could pretty much get them anytime I wanted. My bud and I would bus over tot he park and enter as soon as they opened the gates.....which back in the day was around 10 or 11 for a 1 o'clock game. We would generally catch the end of the home team's BP and most if not all the the oppositions.

Needless to say, I had a TON of baseballs from Chavez Ravine and Anaheim growing up. We used to play over the line, in the street, with official major league baseballs.

Then with all the organized ball I have played as an adult.....balls at games I went to didn't hold the same luster. Except with my kids when they were younger.

One game a friend from owrk gave us tickets right next to the vistors bullpen bench at Oaktown and about the thrid inning I got a foul ball hit practically to my seat. I had a bud from baseball with me as well as my oldest daughter and son. Gave the ball to my son. then about the 7th or so a dribbler was hit foul and it finally rolled into the bullpen bench. I had been chatting up Arthur Rhodes of the Mariners for about 5 or 6 innings and the ball came to rest at his feet. I asked and he gladly tossed me the ball. One for my daughter. My buddy asked where was his and I informed him the next one I got could be his.

Last year at a minor league game here in Indy I got one....hit right to me again.....funny thing....I had brought my glove to the game....we were sitting low and my 73YO mom was with us and I didn't want her to take one to the dome by accident. I was eating peanuts and that takes both hands....one to crack the other to catch and shovel......so my glove was in my lap.......the ball goes up....and I am watching the flight....thinking...it's coming right to me.....yup right to me....yup....so I stood up and grabbed it bearhand....dropped my peanuts tho......

Well there was a family across the aisle and three or four rows down from us and they had two girls about 12 and 10......the older had her glove and her softball jersey on. When we got up for the 7th inning stretch and while everyone else was signing I walked up and gave her the ball.

You would have thought I handed her a gold bar!! They took pictures with it and she sat in awe for the remaining couple of innings. When they got up to leave the Dad stopped and shook my hand and thanked me. I told Deb and the kids that that ball would mean far more to her going forward than it ever would to me and that's why I gave it to her.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

RamsFan4Life said:
As a kid my grammie's boss had season tiks for all the locals.....Rams, Kings, LakeShow, Dodgers and Angels.......and I could pretty much get them anytime I wanted. My bud and I would bus over tot he park and enter as soon as they opened the gates.....which back in the day was around 10 or 11 for a 1 o'clock game. We would generally catch the end of the home team's BP and most if not all the the oppositions.

Needless to say, I had a TON of baseballs from Chavez Ravine and Anaheim growing up. We used to play over the line, in the street, with official major league baseballs.

Then with all the organized ball I have played as an adult.....balls at games I went to didn't hold the same luster. Except with my kids when they were younger.

One game a friend from owrk gave us tickets right next to the vistors bullpen bench at Oaktown and about the thrid inning I got a foul ball hit practically to my seat. I had a bud from baseball with me as well as my oldest daughter and son. Gave the ball to my son. then about the 7th or so a dribbler was hit foul and it finally rolled into the bullpen bench. I had been chatting up Arthur Rhodes of the Mariners for about 5 or 6 innings and the ball came to rest at his feet. I asked and he gladly tossed me the ball. One for my daughter. My buddy asked where was his and I informed him the next one I got could be his.

Last year at a minor league game here in Indy I got one....hit right to me again.....funny thing....I had brought my glove to the game....we were sitting low and my 73YO mom was with us and I didn't want her to take one to the dome by accident. I was eating peanuts and that takes both hands....one to crack the other to catch and shovel......so my glove was in my lap.......the ball goes up....and I am watching the flight....thinking...it's coming right to me.....yup right to me....yup....so I stood up and grabbed it bearhand....dropped my peanuts tho......

Well there was a family across the aisle and three or four rows down from us and they had two girls about 12 and 10......the older had her glove and her softball jersey on. When we got up for the 7th inning stretch and while everyone else was signing I walked up and gave her the ball.

You would have thought I handed her a gold bar!! They took pictures with it and she sat in awe for the remaining couple of innings. When they got up to leave the Dad stopped and shook my hand and thanked me. I told Deb and the kids that that ball would mean far more to her going forward than it ever would to me and that's why I gave it to her.

Good story, and a very nice thing for you to do. I think you have earned some baseball karma over your life and maybe that is why the baseballs find you!

RamsFan4Life

Starter

Could be bro....could be.

When my wife and I were still dating....some 30+ years ago....we happened to be at an Angels game and sitting down the right field line. Right on an aisle and next to the field. It was a tight game, late. Maybe 7 or 8th inning. I remember thinking if they could get through that inning they could get to their closer and maybe the Halos would win one.......unlike today, back in the day, Angel victories were few and far between.

Well the opposition had runners on and we had managed to get a couple of guys out.

Pinch hitter comes up and after battling what seemed like forever, hit a towering pop up down the RF line.

Ellis Valentine was playing RF for the Angels and he is on his horse heading towards foul territory down the RF line. Well I am watching the flight of the ball and sure enough.....it's hit right to me. I satnd up and step into the aisle and literally it is travelling right to me. Baseball training for so long it was hard not to call it.....lol. BUT.......there were a gang of fools crowding me and almost squeezed me right out of the stands onto the field. I glanced down and saw Valentine coming hard and just before he got near the rail I did my best DRod box out move with both arms fully extended and leaned back. When I did, I took about 6 guys with me and carved out a nice little "cup" that enabled Valentine to reach over the fence and practically into my then GF and soon to be wife's lap and catch the ball for the last out and squash the rally.

Well Valentine stood there for second and looked around at us and the guys, and then hands me the ball and says thanks as he extends his hand and shakes mine before trotting off towards the dugout.

Needless to say my soon to be wifey was VERY impressed. :cheese:

God I LOVE baseball.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

RamsFan4Life said:

When my wife and I were still dating....some 30+ years ago....we happened to be at an Angels game and sitting down the right field line. Right on an aisle and next to the field. It was a tight game, late. Maybe 7 or 8th inning. I remember thinking if they could get through that inning they could get to their closer and maybe the Halos would win one.......unlike today, back in the day, Angel victories were few and far between.

Well the opposition had runners on and we had managed to get a couple of guys out.

Pinch hitter comes up and after battling what seemed like forever, hit a towering pop up down the RF line.

Ellis Valentine was playing RF for the Angels and he is on his horse heading towards foul territory down the RF line. Well I am watching the flight of the ball and sure enough.....it's hit right to me. I satnd up and step into the aisle and literally it is travelling right to me. Baseball training for so long it was hard not to call it.....lol. BUT.......there were a gang of fools crowding me and almost squeezed me right out of the stands onto the field. I glanced down and saw Valentine coming hard and just before he got near the rail I did my best DRod box out move with both arms fully extended and leaned back. When I did, I took about 6 guys with me and carved out a nice little "cup" that enabled Valentine to reach over the fence and practically into my then GF and soon to be wife's lap and catch the ball for the last out and squash the rally.

Well Valentine stood there for second and looked around at us and the guys, and then hands me the ball and says thanks as he extends his hand and shakes mine before trotting off towards the dugout.

God I LOVE baseball.
Wow, sweet story D!

RamsFan4Life

Starter

1 last story on baseballs to bore you.........

Around the same time as the Valentine ball, Deb and I were at another Angels game, this time sitting in the relatively vacant RF bleachers. I say this because there were so few folks in the bleachers that you could move pretty freely.

Well Deb and I had positioned ourselves in a spot where the corner of the 2nd deck made some shade for us to sit in. IOW, we weren't near the fence....more towards the back of the lower section of the bleachers.

Anyhow, this was back in the day when Reggie played for the Angels.

To get to the shade we were closer to the foul pole than center field and as foul balls were hit down there it was a mob scene with kids and young men scrambling to get the ball. So I knew when the towering homer Reggie hit pretty much right to me was in flight I would have fight on my hands to get it and keep it. Now I am tall....taller than many but not all. BUT.......standing on my seat I would have looked down on Andre the Giant.....and that's just what I did.

As the throng pushed in, I jumped up in my seat and sure enough was able to grab the ball and secure it in both hands before the ensuing tidal wave of knuckleheads squeezed in from all sides. When they saw the ball wasn't loose and in fact a big ugly mofo had it securely in his mitts, they all ambled back to their seats.

There happened to be a little boy....maybe 9 or 10 seated in front of us. The little guy had his Angels hat and his glove and was in rapt awe of my skill in capturing that prize and spent the next few innings craning his neck to turn and glance at it every chance he got. He had tried to run down and grab foul balls but the other kids and men were just too big for him to have a chance and he couldn't reach high enough or push his was forward enough to get a chance. I was tempted to give him the Reggie ball but didn't.

Now, as is the norm in SoCal, about the 6th or 7th inning the fair weather fans or gift ticket users start to bail to beat the traffic. So as the crowd thins and the sun sets we start to move a bit closer to the field as the shadows have crept far enough to provide more shade.

Well sure enough a foul ball hit down the line hits in a spot where there wasn't anybody sitting and bounced like an old superball and then starts rattling around under the seats. I guess you know who's feet it rolled into........

Yup. Now I have another and sure enough I look back and the mom and son are still there. Not wanting to miss my chance if they happened to leave early, I walked back and handed the ball to the kid.

I don't know if he thought it was the Reggie ball or not but he certainly treated it with the respect you would afford a ball thumped by Mr. October.

To this day I can't tell you which felt better........getting a Reggie Jackson homer ball or giving that foul ball to a kid who may never get one on his own.

funny addendum to this story......

Years later I have married that gal and had a son. I am working as a manager of a bakery in Newport Beach.....right across the bridge from Balboa Island. Well one of my regular customers....almost every morning......like clockwork as I open the doors........

Was Reggie Jackson. He had a condo on the island and got out and walked in the morning and came for a cup of mud and croissant.

So I tell Reggie the story and tell him I have son who's a toddler but who one day I would like to pass the ball on to. I never bugged him or any of the other "celebs" I saw but I asked if he would mind autographing it for my son. He said sure and I brought the ball in.

Reggie not only autographed it but wrote on it........

"To my buddy Alex......hit them hard and hit them far. Your friend, Mr. October, Reggie Jackson 44"

I about peed my pants. I am not much on worshipping these guys.....they never really measured up to the guys I grew up idolizing so never really carried that over into adult life.....but DAYUM!!!!

One day Alex is going to shit when he sees this.

Soooooooo.....five or six years pass and Alex is about 8 or 9. We are doing the little league thing and collecting cards together and all that and I figure....he is ready. So one day I give him the ball. I tell him the story on how I got it and got it signed for him and how special the ball was because it had Reggie's autograph on it. I was fairly certain he got it until he returned a few days later......

Grinning for ear to ear and obviously hiding something behind his back he said, "Dad.....I have a surprise for you...." and hands me the ball......I am about to give it back and tell him that it is his to keep and maybe give to his son one day and as I turn the ball over I find.....in his best 8 year old scrawl......

"I love you Dad, thanks for the ball. Love, your son, Alex."

I still get a little misty just typing this.

Now that little boy is a video game designer and all growed up.

But if I live to be a million I will NEVER forget that day and the Reggie/Alex home run ball........

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Well if that isn't a Norman Rockwell moment...

Nice yarn spinnin', man. You paint a cool picture.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

RamsFan4Life said:

God I LOVE baseball.
I called a few home runs, but I remember one specifically.. It was the bottom of the ninth two men on, down by two with two outs, I was at the game with a bunch of buddies, we used to get a large sub sandwich, a big bag of chips and 2 two liter bottles of cola and bring them to the game, a very cheap way to eat and drink...we didn't have much money...

Brian Downing steps up to the plate, I don't know, just the way he approached, the focus, the practice swings...the electricity in the air...I stood up and called it...a deep homer to left field...I was king for the day. Angels win! Good times...

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim

Geez, RF4L, if I were younger I'd be envious. The closest I ever came to catching anything at a stadium was a Rick Monday HR caught 2 rows behind me.

Still, those are dynamite stories. Of those, I am envious. :cool:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

Man, have I got a story for you:

My mom decided to take my brother and I to a Cardinals game in the old Busch Stadium. I was eleven at the time; my brother was nine. We got tickets in right field, fair territory. They were extremely far back, so there was little chance of getting a home run. Anyway, my brother's favorite player, J.D. Drew, was up to bat. I can't remember which inning. Drew absolutely crushed a ball to right field. My brother got up to get the ball, and I followed him. Two guys got there before we did, but they gave us the ball when they saw us. My brother's eyes just lit up like a Christmas tree. I couldn't thank them enough; it meant a lot to him.

So, we find J.D. Drew, and my brother asks for him to sign the ball. He does so with a smile. And to this very day, my brother has kept the ball on his dresser.

Not as impressive as RF4L's tales or DR Ram's stories, but it's the best I have, so...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Memento said:
Man, have I got a story for you:

My mom decided to take my brother and I to a Cardinals game in the old Busch Stadium. I was eleven at the time; my brother was nine. We got tickets in right field, fair territory. They were extremely far back, so there was little chance of getting a home run. Anyway, my brother's favorite player, J.D. Drew, was up to bat. I can't remember which inning. Drew absolutely crushed a ball to right field. My brother got up to get the ball, and I followed him. Two guys got there before we did, but they gave us the ball when they saw us. My brother's eyes just lit up like a Christmas tree. I couldn't thank them enough; it meant a lot to him.

So, we find J.D. Drew, and my brother asks for him to sign the ball. He does so with a smile. And to this very day, my brother has kept the ball on his dresser.

Not as impressive as RF4L's tales or DR Ram's stories, but it's the best I have, so...
Nothing wrong with that story, man. That's a good one too. It's those kinds of events that happen when you're a little kid that stick with you forever. Pure, innocent joy - if you will. I like those stories. I also like how a thread about a tragedy spawns such feel-good stories.

I have a story about being 11 years old too. It doesn't include any brushes with famous players, but it's an event in my life that both me and my mom still recall as if it happened yesterday. I can only call it a miracle given the circumstances.

I was, like I said, 11 years old and playing in little league. I wasn't very good at the time, and spent a lot of time on the bench. It was a league wherein the 11 and 12 year olds played, and the next year you graduated to a different league (I can't remember the name of the next level). Anyway, I was a role player at right field and occasionally got to bat - though with little success (maybe a .200 average). Our team sponsor was Collins Irrigation and Sprinkler Supply, and Mr. Collins was our coach. Good guy, and he knew my mom through their respective businesses. He, obviously owned a sprinkler company, and my mom worked for a General Contractor who used him for jobs on new home construction projects.

Fast forward to the middle of the season. My mom was involved in a horrific car crash that threw her from her car and she ended up hospitalized with severe lacerations on her legs and a broken arm. I missed a couple of games because I wanted to be at the hospital with her (obviously), and I'm sure I wasn't really missed. When she finally started to get on the fast track to recovery, she said I should go play that weekend and not to worry about her anymore because she'd be fine. I was reluctant, but said I would. I also said, verbatim, "I'm gonna play this game for you, mom." She knew I wasn't a great talent at the time, but she still said (verbatim), "I know you'll be the best one out there."

Fast forward to the weekend. We're all warming up before the game, throwing to each other and playing pepper and whatnot when the coach came out with the lineup. I was a scratch, obviously. Instead of accepting that, I asked him to let me start at RF and make someone else sit. He wasn't going to do that, and he explained that this particular game was important (as important as a little league game can be). He tried to sidestep me, but I stepped him front of him and pleaded my case. This happened two more times until our assistant coach, Dr. Lee, said (again, verbatim) "Let the kid play, Gary. You know JoAnne's laid up." So he did.

First at bat - triple to right field.
Second at bat - triple to left field.
Third at bat - double to left field, bad throw to second, ended up on third.
In the field I had a diving catch to right-center and doubled up a runner at 2nd.

I never had a game like that the rest of the season. After the game, coach Collins presented me with the game ball and wrote on it, "best game ever played." That ball is still in my mom's entertainment center to this day, and it serves as a constant reminder that people can transcend their physical limitations with enough motivation.