Breakdown of Goff vs Bears

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Yeah, it's well done but this dude has only ever broke down the Rams 2 worst games under McVay.
I am not sure if his problem is with Goff or if its purely coincidence but this guy seems biased against him.

Goff had a bad night but no, the rest of the team did suck too and yes, McVay did not have a great night either.
This guy also seemingly ignores that Goff has threaded the needle all season. He has picked apart some great corners.

Maybe I am too much of a homer, but this guy rubs me the wrong way.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
He doesn’t account for the OL worst game of the season.

If that is not accounted for, then his premise doesn’t hold up.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
jared-goff-when-he-sees-an-open-bears-defender-rams-38504316.png

bluecoconuts

Legend
He doesn’t account for the OL worst game of the season.

If that is not accounted for, then his premise doesn’t hold up.

That was the reason. O-Line was so bad that Naggy was daring McVay to run and he couldn't because we had no push at the line.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
That was the reason. O-Line was so bad that Naggy was daring McVay to run and he couldn't because we had no push at the line.

Which isnt to say Goff played at an acceptable level. He needed to play better but for whatever reason, like his teammates around him, he could not.

Painting this as being all on Goff means either this guy is a shitty analyst who misses a lot about thaf game or he has an anti-Goff agenda.

I'm guessing he is a disgruntled, closeted 49ers fan.

Ramer

Been a Ram fan too long to quit now
Seems like his mind was made up on where he was going witht ball before the snap.. He was definately without the "G" that night ..OFF

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'd rather have an effin root canal than re-watch Goff's tape from that game. Dude played like a young QB movin on.

RamWoodie

Legend
This is an EXCELLENT breakdown...but not only what this guy is pointing out...there' a phase of Goff's game I want him to embrace...and that's his moblitiy!

Go back and look at this breakdown and see how many times Goff could have just taken off and gained 6-10 yards!!! This is what I'm harping on about Goff...because if he does this the defense is forced to put a spy on him. All Goff has to do is just slide down after he gets the yardage.

Many of us were saying "take your checkdowns" also. The only thing that happens is it takes you longer to get down the field...BUT...with Chicago's limited offensive ability they're going to have difficulty scoring and the clock is steady ticking.

Great lesson for Goff last week...and I have to confess this guy pointed out things I didn't see. I kept saying "PLAY RAM BALL" , when that's what the Rams were doing. Goff was simply forcing the game and not taking the underneath throws.

When I listened to Gurley talk about the game...I knew he was talking "locker room politics". After seeing the many times he was open...he simply spoke as to not cause tension in the locker room, and that's not a bad thing.

As for Goff...this is just a lesson learned for him. HE'S OUR GUY...but "our guy" has to get more savvy about how to use his many talents keeping in mind the objective...WINNING!!!...and he has to learn to take what a defense gives...because while Chicago was playing "safe ball" against the Rams, against guys like Gurley, Woods, or Cooks...if you miss one tackle...IT'S GOOD NIGHT IRENE!!!

I...for one...am looking for another shot at the Bears. I don't think it's likely...but let's wait and see.

Liberator

Pro Bowler
Which isnt to say Goff played at an acceptable level. He needed to play better but for whatever reason, like his teammates around him, he could not.

Painting this as being all on Goff means either this guy is a crappy analyst who misses a lot about thaf game or he has an anti-Goff agenda.

I'm guessing he is a disgruntled, closeted 49ers fan.

His reddit profile says he's a Texans fan.

I think he was probably one of the "Goff is a bust" types and being that he has a youtube channel about breaking down football it's probably a little embarrassing to be so wrong.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is an EXCELLENT breakdown...but not only what this guy is pointing out...there' a phase of Goff's game I want him to embrace...and that's his moblitiy!

Go back and look at this breakdown and see how many times Goff could have just taken off and gained 6-10 yards!!! This is what I'm harping on about Goff...because if he does this the defense is forced to put a spy on him. All Goff has to do is just slide down after he gets the yardage.

Many of us were saying "take your checkdowns" also. The only thing that happens is it takes you longer to get down the field...BUT...with Chicago's limited offensive ability they're going to have difficulty scoring and the clock is steady ticking.

Great lesson for Goff last week...and I have to confess this guy pointed out things I didn't see. I kept saying "PLAY RAM BALL" , when that's what the Rams were doing. Goff was simply forcing the game and not taking the underneath throws.

When I listened to Gurley talk about the game...I knew he was talking "locker room politics". After seeing the many times he was open...he simply spoke as to not cause tension in the locker room, and that's not a bad thing.

As for Goff...this is just a lesson learned for him. HE'S OUR GUY...but "our guy" has to get more savvy about how to use his many talents keeping in mind the objective...WINNING!!!...and he has to learn to take what a defense gives...because while Chicago was playing "safe ball" against the Rams, against guys like Gurley, Woods, or Cooks...if you miss one tackle...IT'S GOOD NIGHT IRENE!!!

I...for one...am looking for another shot at the Bears. I don't think it's likely...but let's wait and see.
Good post. Another thing I hope the Rams learn is to play grind it out football. Sometimes the other team isn’t giving you anything and you have to take 1 yard instead of going for 20. I guess that’s essentially what the guy is saying but there will be a playoff game that field goals are important and Goff can’t throw picks inside the 20.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
The breakdown was fair, I actually learned from watching it. I don't agree with it's entirety but do think that it does show some areas that Jared can improve. Hell their is a part of his silent gunslinger approach I love but he did have a bad game.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
He may be correct, but his last vid posted here where he gave Gurley the disadvantage of getting the MVP bc our oline is so good, and then saying Brees deserves it, who has an even better line, makes anything he says useless. Imo.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
You know it’s possible? the Rams may not have game planned their A game considering the distinct possibility of a playoff rematch

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Pretty good video IMO. It shows that Goff really just had a bad game.

View: https://youtu.be/n04gbQBMZt0

Goff wasn't the one who was baited, it was McVay. He calls the plays. And the Bears knew they could make him abandon the run.

As far as the OL being part of the problem @bluecoconuts yes that is true but McVay compounded the issue by calling all stretch handoffs or off tackle plays. How about a draw or 2 or 3 from shotgun to Gurley? How about a pitch out to Gurley to use his speed to get around the edge? A cold weather game at night on the road when Gurley is in the backfield calls for more than 11 runs.

He had a bad game at the same time Goff was having a bad game. That usually amounts to a loss. But McVay effects what Goff is doing more than Goff effects McVay is doing because anytime McVay wants he can take the game partially off of Goff and put it at least in part on Gurley.

We know because we have seen it happen. If McVay does in fact learn from it this tandem has a sky high limit. He's said similar things after a loss but this was an embarrassing loss in the national spotlight. Maybe that'll do it.

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
The game plan has always been to stop Gurley and make Goff beat them. He has been doing that all season until last week.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Goff had a bad game....but McVay has got to be able to adjust when his QB is nothing having a good game. The under utilization of Gurley...and continuing to force the ball down the field well after Goff was showing he wasn't sharp ..that's on McVay…. We have one of the young QBs and Coaches in the league, and it's all a part of the process... We learn, adjust and move on..

Ram65

Legend
That was very interesting. Patients grasshopper! I see where Goff was forcing throws deeper when shorter throws were there. Taking what the defense is giving you is the smart play. Seemed like Goff was playing/throwing like he did against other defenses that were giving bigger windows. The Rams offense likes the big chunk plays. Sometimes you have to dial it back. Don't know for sure what would have happened but, completing short passes and moving down the field opens other things up like the running game. I have thought the Rams offense isn't as patient as it should be at times. Be nice to see them grind it out (longer drives) sometimes heading into the playoffs. Good video.

Last edited: