Brandon Powell to Vikings, Rams lose another...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I keep reading, “ no big loss” about all of the starters who have left the Rams. If they weren’t that good, fine. But they were STILL the best guys we could plug into starter roles last year. The draft is a crap shoot and UDFA’s rarely result in starting level players. We have signed zero free agents. I know, I know…”trust the process”

is 3 and 14 really that different to 5 and 12?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is the biggest double standard I've seen on this board in years. On one hand you (royal you) pound the table for building and developing through the draft, and not overpaying for players, but then when the team actually does that, you (again royal you) scream that they're letting everyone go and relying on unproven guys they picked in the later rounds. Like WTF are they supposed to do?
* I am not responsible for what others say about player compensation. I rarely, if ever, care about money matters

* I have been a proponent of giving up high draft choices for proven veteran players, which I think helped get us to a Super Bowl, twice.

* I said earlier that later round draftees and UDFA's "rarely" become anything but marginal starters. "Rarely" doesn't mean, never. I think statistically this is true. BUT, you can't compose a team with great players alone. You need "glue" guys to fill out the roster.

* McSnead hit on drafting Greg Gaines, who I think is a very good player. You an I will differ as to his value.

* My take is that is that they are letting good-great players go and are also letting the glue guys go. We are becoming more like an expansion team than the Super Bowl champion from two season's ago, which is disappointing to me. I thought we would go after some Oline players and an edge guy to help AD out AND after getting healthy, be a contender. I did not understand Snead's definition of remodel meant tearing down the team and I think he used "remodel" instead of "rebuild" because he knew the negative connotation of that word with fans who now have higher expectations.

* "WTF are they supposed to do" is to tear the band-aid off quickly and don't use deceptive language Tell us straight that we are rebuilding, instead of trying to finesse us from being angry. We are going to be angry because we are slightly different individuals with discordant views, but it's always better to be honest. Most people can respect honesty over time, even if they are angry at present.

* Yes, I understand what "royal you" means, but I am part of the fan collective to whom you are addressing and have responded as such.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMO, I believe first man up will be Austin Trammel. Rams still have him and he looked like he was fine returning punts in preseason. Now, Powell was special in that area, but IMO, Trammel looked like he had done it before unlike others that were tried previously.

1679579078768.png

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
On a serious note, I'm glad Brandon Powell got paid. He was a good dude that added a lot to the team.

Maybe he wasn't a glue guy, but he was a spark guy.

This off-season is like watching your dog get put down.

The "Old Yeller" off-season.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Isn't Powell the dude who during the SB went over and told Stafford he wishes that he was out making plays for Stafford?

If so, I became a huge fan of his at that time.

Ram65

Legend
Powell ran those Woods reversals pretty well. Not the fasted guy but, he could make very quick cuts. Not great but, a good hard worker that was ready to go.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
* I am not responsible for what others say about player compensation. I rarely, if ever, care about money matters

Same. I don't give a shit about the dollars either. Just general consensus i see on every team's message board.

* I have been a proponent of giving up high draft choices for proven veteran players, which I think helped get us to a Super Bowl, twice.

Also same. Do whatever you can to build a winner.

* I said earlier that later round draftees and UDFA's "rarely" become anything but marginal starters. "Rarely" doesn't mean, never. I think statistically this is true. BUT, you can't compose a team with great players alone. You need "glue" guys to fill out the roster.

* McSnead hit on drafting Greg Gaines, who I think is a very good player. You an I will differ as to his value.

Brandon Powell was a career practice squad player coming here. Nick Scott was a later round draftee. So was Greg Gaines. He was 4 picks away from the 5th round!

Almost all these guys were castoffs or late round picks. Why this sudden barrage of criticism for letting these guys go, but at the same time have other threads/topics questioning Les' decisions? Everything screams to me they can find new faces to replace them without a huge dropoff in production.

* My take is that is that they are letting good-great players go and are also letting the glue guys go. We are becoming more like an expansion team than the Super Bowl champion from two season's ago, which is disappointing to me. I thought we would go after some Oline players and an edge guy to help AD out AND after getting healthy, be a contender. I did not understand Snead's definition of remodel meant tearing down the team and I think he used "remodel" instead of "rebuild" because he knew the negative connotation of that word with fans who now have higher expectations.

Well my point is these "glue guys" can be found. They've proven they can let guys go and not miss a beat w/ young bucks waiting in the wings. It's an assembly line w/ decent to good results.

I think Greg Gaines is good yes but so can Bobby Brown. And if he doesn't pan out...bring in someone else. Or even if they bring in another team's castoff. Both A'Shawn Robinson and Leonard Floyd fall in that boat. They came, they went. This is why I'm not understanding the angst. And when the glue dries up...time to re-apply. Gawd that was a terrible lol.

* "WTF are they supposed to do" is to tear the band-aid off quickly and don't use deceptive language Tell us straight that we are rebuilding, instead of trying to finesse us from being angry. We are going to be angry because we are slightly different individuals with discordant views, but it's always better to be honest. Most people can respect honesty over time, even if they are angry at present.

This sudden heel turn on what the team is doing in March/April isn't sitting right with me. Again they've proved than can bring in new faces and put them in position to succeed.

This "rebuild" and "retool" and "remodel"...man they are just fan board jargon. I think of NFL teams as sand castles. Just when you get it built up, the tide comes in and destroys it from whatever variable. Injury. Another team willing to outbid others. Just never panning out. Whatever.

Not signing these guys isn't concerning to me at all.

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Isn't Powell the dude who during the SB went over and told Stafford he wishes that he was out making plays for Stafford?

If so, I became a huge fan of his at that time.
You’re such a huge fan of his, you can’t remember his name. :D

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I hate all these posters that constantly say oh we can easily rind someone else - these guys are a dime a dozen. I heard this on Powell on this thread, I heard it about Gay, Dixon and one or two others on other threads.

Newsflash this is not so easy to find players as you say. We floundered around with punt/kick returners for several years. So not so easy. Plus every time he was in on the Offense he was contributing and that's saying a lot for our #6 wr. We had time where we looked for a kicker as well. Like I say kickers are about distance and accuracy most kickers that are in the NFL can make most FGs but it is the ones like Gold, Tucker Gay that make those extra deep ones or that one to win the game under intense pressure - not so easy.

Currently we have to fill 12 starters if Rapp/AShawn go elsewhere that is half the team plus a BU QB, and depth at CB now that Long has left. That's crazy and that is not factoring in Robinson possibly getting traded. I have never seen a team get dismantled like this one did in 1 season away from a Superbowl.