Billy Devaney

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
kfns.jpg

11-16-11 segment 9 Garry Unger and Billy Devaney
St. Louis Sports Hall of Fame inductee and former Blue Garry Unger joins The Press Box. Also Rams General Manager Billy Devaney joins the show.

[mp3]http://media.kfns.com/Podcasts/1949/11-16-11_segment_9.mp3[/mp3]
(about 11:50 in)

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Couple of interesting tidbits from BD...

He was asked about the state of his offensive tackleS (clearly plural), and Billy only spoke about RS. JS was not mentioned at all.

Billy was asked whether Jason Brown's benching had to do with his performance, or if the benching was more of a "statement" to the O-Line. Listen to his answer. Fascinating to me,,, but then again, I'm easily amused.

Billy's description of Stan's presence with the staff (Does Stan actually spend time in the Ram Offices ,,, especially recently ??).
Billy also made it clear that Stan is "very supportive" of everything right now. Again, I'm easily amused, but this has to make one ponder somewhat.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not a stenographer. This is just what I got from listening and typing (really fast).

What's most frustrating about the season to you?
There's a lot to be frustrated about early on (seems peeved), but the biggest was the quarterback getting hit too much. That frustrated me the most.

Anything you've seen from Saffold that has bothered him or plagued him this year?
We're looking for a big improvement going into the second year, and I'm not going to sugar-coat it, he HAS struggled. I hate that sophomore slump stuff. There should be no rhyme or reason for that.

How do you explain Lance Kendricks?
Steve touched on that the other day. He was so good early in the preseason, well, what we did is we probably loaded up on him. Using him as a HB/TE/TB, and he was a rookie. His mind was going 100MPH, and it was probably too much for him. He's got really good hands, but I think he was just overloaded, and we've done a good job backing him off - starting with Green Bay.

Where do you think Sam is at in year 2?
I think the guy's hanging in there. It's been tough for him. Been hit too much. New offense. Offensive line was going through that too. Then he got hurt. It's just been one thing after another, that it hasn't been a smooth operation. Now that everyone is getting more comfortable with the terminology and the offense, and now that Lloyd is here, things should smooth out. It was a struggle for him after being injured and being thrown back into the AZ game.... (sounds like he didn't so much agree with that move).

How involved are you on game-day roster decisions?
No input. None. There's one voice, and that's the head coach, and their fate lies in HIS hands. That's the way it should be. We talk about it and stuff, he bounces stuff off of me. He's a great listener.

Is the Brown benching symbolic or simply based on how he's played?
<sigh> I don't know. I would think it's a little bit of both, but I'm not speaking for Spags. Spags would be best to answer that.

How supportive is someone like Stan Kroenke?
Oh man. Yup. He's been awesome. Believe me, he's been supportive in every way. He's visible, he's vocal, and he makes his presence available to us all the time. He's been great.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
He seemed really pissed @ the OL. I get that, but was a lot easier w/ Bradford. Like, he just went Parcell's on the OL. Hate sophmore slump stuff. I agree...its just interesting that he was a lot more critical on the OL than Bradford or the WRs.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Angry Ram said:
He seemed really pissed @ the OL. I get that, but was a lot easier w/ Bradford. Like, he just went Parcell's on the OL. Hate sophmore slump stuff. I agree...its just interesting that he was a lot more critical on the OL than Bradford or the WRs.
I think he's pissed that the OL was getting Bradford pounded. That's his $78M investment back there and he was getting racked. Ultimately it's the OL's job to keep him upright, but Bradford, the TE's, and the RB's were some of the reasons for those sacks as well. You have to wonder if Devaney was going apeshit over and it, and that was one of the reasons for the change at center.

Angry Ram

Yeah probably, since he did admit here they go through the game plans every week.

Its just interesting how he criticized Saffold so much, not even mentioned Smith. Makes me think he's think OT in the draft...again.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Angry Ram said:

I think it has to be really frustrating for him because hes had to start from scratch at the OL from day one. A lot of money invested in FAs, and some early picks, and it just hasnt payed off.

Angry Ram

JdashSTL said:
Angry Ram said:

I think it has to be really frustrating for him because hes had to start from scratch at the OL from day one. A lot of money invested in FAs, and some early picks, and it just hasnt payed off.

Yeah, I can only imagine how he feels since it is his OL, except for Bell...every player there is his.