Best, worst college games of 2018 Round 1 QBs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/sto...-football-games-2018-nfl-round-1-quarterbacks

Best, worst college games of 2018 Round 1 QBs

The five quarterbacks who were taken in the first round of the 2018 NFL draftgot their first taste of life in the pros at rookie camps earlier this month, with OTAs going on right now and mandatory minicamps coming next month.

Even though none is projected to start in Week 1 this season, we know it's likely that all of them will get regular-season snaps at some point in 2018. Coaches can't keep these players off the field for long -- they have to see what they've got.

So what should we expect from Baker Mayfield (No. 1 pick), Sam Darnold (3), Josh Allen (7), Josh Rosen (10) and Lamar Jackson (32) this season? I go back to the tape -- always. That's where we can see strengths and weaknesses and how their traits will translate to the next level.

I picked out the best games to watch for each of these quarterbacks. And not just for their best performances; I picked out games in which you can see their worst performances too. Let's see how good -- and bad -- they could be in the NFL. I'll run through each game that shows a ceiling and floor, and I'll pick out the QB's best traits, note where he must improve and give a tip for his offensive coordinators in how to get the best out of him.

i

Baker Mayfield, Cleveland Browns
Game that shows his ceiling: I look at the tape from the Big 12 championship game versus TCU to highlight Mayfield's pro-ready traits. The efficiency jumped on the film, and so did the quick release and ability to anticipate open windows. That showed up on Mayfield's red zone touchdown pass off play-action. Pull the linebacker downhill, and release the ball before the tight end clears the second level. That's an NFL throw, along with the deep ball shot Oklahoma coach Lincoln Riley dialed up versus a single-high safety look. Mayfield held that free safety in the post and dropped a dime -- with some touch on the ball -- to the slot receiver running the vertical. Mayfield displayed the movement skills to navigate the pocket, and he attacked all three levels of the TCU defense to rack up four touchdown passes to get the Sooners into the College Football Playoff.

Game that shows his floor: Mayfield went to work on the Georgia defense in the first half of the Rose Bowl, but I have some concerns after rewatching the second half of that game. With Georgia making coverage adjustments while increasing the defensive tempo with pressure, Mayfield struggled to find open windows, and his footwork looked rushed in the pocket, leading to this interception in the middle of the field (check out the video clip above). Yes, Mayfield's intangibles showed up late in the fourth quarter when he put together a game-tying drive, and his touchdown throw was off-script. Get outside the pocket, create and deliver an accurate ball from an unstable platform. Those in-game adjustments from Georgia are exactly what Mayfield will see in the NFL, however, and he has to show the ability to adapt when defenses take him out of his comfort zone as a passer.

Mayfield's best trait: Accuracy. Mayfield completed 70.5 percent of his passes in 2017, with 43 touchdowns and only six interceptions. Although he played in a QB-friendly offense that generated open-window throws, his ability to win with ball placement is a trait that will transfer to the NFL game.

Where Mayfield must improve: Along with taking more traditional drops from under center after playing almost exclusively out of the shotgun and pistol alignments in Riley's offense -- only seven of his 1,497 passes thrown during his college career came on snaps from under center, according to ESPN Stats & Information -- Mayfield will have to tie together his footwork and eyes in the pocket. That will allow him to avoid wasted movement and play more in rhythm with an NFL route tree.

Tip for Browns offensive coordinator Todd Haley: Steal from Riley's playbook to incorporate some of the same concepts in which Mayfield flourished. Use play-action, quick passing and college run-pass options in addition to the pro concepts Mayfield will have to master to produce as an NFL quarterback. Plus, the Browns now have the weapons to have a solid offense.

i

Sam Darnold, New York Jets
Game that shows his ceiling: Darnold's tape from wins at Colorado and Arizona State could be used here, but I go back to the Texas film because of how the No. 3 overall pick played late in the fourth quarter and in overtime. Just look at the double-post concept in overtime. Read the inside safety driving on the shallow post, and throw the outside route before the wide receiver even breaks back to the middle of the field. The jump pass to extend the drive and set up the game-tying field goal in regulation? That's a guy making a play in a prime-time game on the national stage. Coaches love that stuff. Plus, in addition to those key moments to get the win, Darnold displayed an NFL skill set. Just look at his ability to process through full-field reads. Scan and deliver on tight windows. Don't forget about Darnold's accuracy when moving outside the pocket. Yes, he had a couple of interceptions, but the coachable traits that can be developed at the next level were on display against the Longhorns.

Game that shows his floor: The Washington State tape stands out for me due to the lack of rhythm Darnold played with on the road and the late-game turnover that sealed the upset win for the Cougars. That Washington State defense took away the boot, brought pressure and forced the USC offense to lean on RPOs. Just get the ball out on slants and hitches. Darnold didn't look comfortable in the pocket, and he was late on an outside breaking route that resulted in an interception. The fourth-quarter fumble off a delayed blitz (check out the video clip above) was another reminder that he has to be more secure with the ball. His concerning performance here showed me that Darnold still has room to develop in terms of his overall mechanics -- tying his lower body movement to his release, which needs to be redefined -- and consistency in protecting the ball.

Darnold's best trait: Underrated mobility. Working through full-field reads at USC will give Darnold a jump-start in an NFL offense, but I look at his movement inside and outside the pocket as a key trait heading into Year 1 with the Jets. With more reps, Darnold can use that mobility to navigate pressure -- step up, slide, reset -- while making throws on the move off play-pass concepts.

Where Darnold must improve: Ball security issues. Darnold turned the ball over 36 times in the past two seasons. That's a huge number. He must show more consistency handling the ball inside of the pocket while avoiding situations in which he takes chances and forces the ball into nonexistent windows versus secondaries. That isn't going to work at the next level.

Tip for Jets offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates: Darnold has the traits to play immediately for New York, so this isn't scheme-related. Instead, I would tell Bates, a former quarterbacks coach, to focus on the smaller details. Darnold needs to clean up his technique, which took a step back last season when compared to his fantastic 2016 tape. Get Darnold reps, make the corrections and develop him.

i

Josh Allen, Buffalo Bills
Game that shows his ceiling: The first half of Wyoming's bowl game win over Central Michigan showcased why Allen was the No. 7 overall pick and reminded us that he has the highest upside of any quarterback in the 2018 class. I'm talking about the natural tools at the position. Just look at the skinny post Allen throws in a tight window down the field (check out the video clip below). Play-pass with a quick climb in the pocket, and then deliver an absolute laser for the score. That's a throw only Allen could make when compared to the rest of these quarterbacks. He also showcased his athleticism on an ad-libbed red zone touchdown pass and followed that with a perfect deep ball throw for another score. Take a shot, and let it go. With a 6-foot-5, 237-pound frame, mobility and tremendous arm strength that absolutely pops on the tape, Allen has an enormous ceiling as a pro -- if he keeps developing.

Game that shows his floor: Allen's two games last season against Power 5 competition -- at Iowa and vs. Oregon -- stand out because of the negative habits that appear on tape. In both of those losses, Allen struggled to find any consistency, and his accuracy suffered. He also needs to work on developing a changeup to put more touch on throws to complement that elite velocity in his arm. This is a raw player who has a tendency to sail the ball and miss with poor placement due to his footwork. That will lead to interceptions in the NFL. As I said above, the natural tools are there. In games against tougher competition, however, Allen created more question as to when or if he will reach his ceiling.

Allen's best trait: Arm talent. There's no question here. That strong arm will allow Allen to challenge NFL defenses in the vertical passing game and attack tighter windows on intermediate throws. Plus, playing in Buffalo, Allen has the juice to cut the ball through the wind, rain, sleet, ice and snow coming off Lake Erie.

Where Allen must improve: Consistent accuracy. Allen has to take major steps in his accuracy to be a successful pro quarterback. It's that simple. He completed just 56.3 percent of his passes in 2017, which was only a slight increase from 56 percent in 2016. There's some work to do for Allen and the Bills here.

Tip for Bills offensive coordinator Brian Daboll: When Allen's feet are set, he can flat-out rip the ball and put it on target. Too often, though, Allen leans on his arm talent. Daboll and his staff must focus on Allen's footwork for the rookie to progress as a more accurate thrower in a system that can be catered to maximize his ability. Mix in pro and spread concepts that showcase Allen's movement skills, along with his ability to expose the top of secondaries off play-action.

i

Josh Rosen, Arizona Cardinals
Game that shows his ceiling: I go to Rosen's tape at USC because he displayed the high-level traits of a pure pocket thrower against the Trojans, despite the loss. I'm talking about the timing in the quick game, the anticipation to find open windows on intermediate routes, the natural touch to drop the rock over coverage and the deep-ball accuracy. Just watch the throw from Rosen on the post route versus man coverage (check out the video clip below). That's a straight dime to beat good coverage down the field. This is a quarterback with the skill set to develop quickly. Think of rhythm throws in which the No. 10 pick can dice up defenses in the short-to-intermediate route tree while challenging the top of the secondary with ball placement. Throw the back-shoulder fade, thread the ball inside the numbers, and carve up underneath zones. Rosen is a true pro-style QB with the tools to produce in the right offense.

Game that shows his floor: The Arizona tape jumps out because of the turnovers and the lack of mobility that showed up when Rosen had to battle pressure on the road. Rosen completed only 58.8 percent of his passes and tossed three interceptions due to poor ball placement, timing issues and a misread on an underneath concept. The inability to escape pressure? Yeah, that was a concern for me on the film. Rosen took too many hits against the Arizona pressure, and he doesn't have the natural movement skills to evade rushers. There's no question here on Rosen's toughness after watching that game, though. He got up and kept playing after taking some shots. But those add up quickly at the NFL level when the ball doesn't come out.

Rosen's best trait: Touch. Rosen's ability to make touch throws is such an overlooked trait for quarterbacks. It allows him to drop the ball over underneath defenders and attack third-level windows in the passing game. It's a strength that pocket throwers such as Rosen must have in order to succeed.

Where Rosen must improve: Pocket movement. As a coach, I would give Rosen game tape of Tom Brady and Drew Brees to study. Two veteran quarterbacks who lack top-tier mobility, they have mastered the footwork to maneuver inside the pocket when they feel pressure. That's where Rosen can elevate his game.

Tip for Cardinals offensive coordinator Mike McCoy: Tailor the passing game around Rosen's natural throwing ability in a West Coast system. No need to make this complicated. Win with timing and inside-the-numbers throws, and take shots when you get favorable matchups. That's a fit for Rosen and the NFL game.

i

Lamar Jackson, Baltimore Ravens
Game that shows his ceiling: Jackson was electric in Louisville's win at North Carolina, racking up 525 total yards and six touchdowns. It was a combination of upper-tier athleticism and passing-game production in a route tree that mimics the concepts we see in the NFL. While Jackson still showed some inconsistency on outside-the-numbers throws, I saw the No. 32 pick anticipate on middle-of-the-field routes, hold the backside safety to open up a window to hit the seam versus two-deep coverage and use his combination of speed and body control to shred the Tar Heels' defense as a runner. Just look at the ball from Jackson on the deep post route off play-action (check out the video clip below). That's a free rusher off the edge, a cornerback blitz. But Jackson steps up, resets and delivers a perfect throw for six points. Yes, the number of Jackson's designed runs will drop in the NFL, but the red zone RPO Louisville showed against UNC -- pairing the QB draw with the wide receiver screen -- is an example of a concept that should be part of an NFL game plan for Jackson. That's how you maximize his rare talent.

Game that shows his floor: I look at games at NC State and vs. Clemson, two teams with NFL talent on the defensive front that generated pressure versus the Louisville protection schemes. This forced Jackson to look for escape doors at times instead of managing the pocket. And I saw accuracy issues on out cuts and corner routes. The ball sails at times, which means Jackson's lower-body mechanics are inconsistent. Although he used his athletic ability to make plays in both games, he threw two costly interceptions. In the NC State matchup, Jackson forced a ball in a critical game moment into tight coverage, and he made a poor read versus Clemson on a curl-flat combo that changed the tempo of the game. Again, Jackson has talent that you simply can't teach, and that is going to create stress for opposing defenses. But the tape from these two performances showed me that he needs time to develop his game to reach his ceiling.

Jackson's best trait: Athleticism. That's going to impact defensive game plans in the NFL. It's very similar to when I played against Michael Vick. Opposing secondaries have to change the way they plan to account for quarterbacks who can make plays with their legs. Plus, the Ravens could sprinkle in some QB-designed runs to gain an advantage on third downs and inside the 20-yard line.

Where Jackson must improve: Accuracy on outside throws. As I mentioned above and in my piece on Jackson's best team fits before the draft, this was a concern for me on his film. It's a situation in which Jackson has to tie together his feet and arm mechanics to be more consistent when targeting outside cuts.

Tip for Ravens offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg: I expect the Ravens to install a creative package of plays for Jackson this season, but I caution against this because the rookie also needs reps playing quarterback in the Ravens' core offense. For me, that's the West Coast route tree. Drill the footwork and mechanics, and put him in a system in which he can truly develop. Because if Jackson can improve his technique as a pocket thrower, in addition to the concepts the Ravens can install to cater to his athletic ability, he could take off.