Ben Skowronek sustains fractured forearm, to undergo surgery Monday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
A Jackson showed enough to make the roster and not be exposed on the waiver wire IMO. I've seen film of him in college and it's night and day, testimony to commitment which will make or break a player. Anchrum has good feet and very good play radius which allows him to play outside. But he's strictly a RT IMO. Regardless the Rams have two up and comers in these guys.

Brewer needs reps because he was out all of last year so his last playing time was as a rookie in 2019. He played OT in college and it's where he spent most of his practice time in 2019. OG requires a totally different technique. He looked like Edwards did in 2019 because both struggle with playing low with leverage. Edwards played better in 2020 but he was still a work in progress with his consistency. I see the same development trajectory with Brewer.

Part of the problem is Ahole Staley was blitzing more than I've ever seen in pre-season. It tells me has a big weakness in his secondary and was trying to hide it. His scheme is complicated and even the Rams had breakdowns with it. His scheme calls for DBs to intentionally influence route options and then exploit it, i.e. they need to know how a WR plays not just how they must play as DBs. The Charger D was ranked 10th overall last year so he's got some talent to work with.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
The OL issues seemed to be more about teamwork, and picking up blitzes & stunts. One on one blocking wasn't as bad as I initially thought.

So understandable considering these gus haven't lined up together too much in this type of environment.

Tano

Legend
The OL issues seemed to be more about teamwork, and picking up blitzes & stunts. One on one blocking wasn't as bad as I initially thought.

So understandable considering these gus haven't lined up together too much in this type of environment.
I am wondering if the OL didn't expect blitzes or stunts since preseason games rarely have blitzes and stunts.

Still - they should have figured it out after the first few blitzes and stunts

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Part of the problem is Ahole Staley was blitzing more than I've ever seen in pre-season. It tells me has a big weakness in his secondary and was trying to hide it.

Or perhaps McVay just told his friend Staley to 'bring it' so he can watch his guys play under pressure and gather some valuable film.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Or perhaps McVay just told his friend Staley to 'bring it' so he can watch his guys play under pressure and gather some valuable film.

but the blitzing helps nobody in evaluating players.

the rams weren't ready for it so the linemen got beaten like drums. rbs couldn't do shit bacause they were greeted by a defender when they cradled the ball in their arm. qbs couldn't do shit because they didn't have time to do anything. wrs couldn't do shit because it's difficult to shake loose in one second.

chargers defenders weren't stressed because the rush was getting there quickly. how can you evaluate your defenders when the other team doesn't have time or any holes to put stress on the defense?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
but the blitzing helps nobody in evaluating players.

the rams weren't ready for it so the linemen got beaten like drums. rbs couldn't do shit bacause they were greeted by a defender when they cradled the ball in their arm. qbs couldn't do shit because they didn't have time to do anything. wrs couldn't do shit because it's difficult to shake loose in one second.

chargers defenders weren't stressed because the rush was getting there quickly. how can you evaluate your defenders when the other team doesn't have time or any holes to put stress on the defense?

My belief is that the real problem was that 5 random OL guys who would normally be somewhat acclimated to playing with each other and developing at least a little chemistry had no such benefit other than in a very few practice sessions. UDFA Alaric Jackson received his very first NFL snaps, Brewer had to dust off a years worth of rust and was also now playing at a new position. Shelton is likely his own version of a 3'rd team Center in the same manner that Blythe was a 1'st team Center, and Kolone may not be employed by any NFL team following the next round of cuts. On top of their own inexperience, they also played next to guys with similar inexperience, except for RG Evans who was perhaps the days biggest disappointment.
The right side of the OL played better once another undrafted rook in Jordan Meredith entered the game at RG and got some good reviews, RT Anchrum also received some pretty high praise. Unfortunately, neither the press or fans watching the game have broken down the film in a way that allows us to understand which RB's were running towards the right side, the left, or up the gut, so it's pretty tough to determine exactly where the rush blocking broke down. Based on the oppositions lack of sacks and QB hurries, we can assume that our pass protection was better than our rush blocking.
We were also led to believe that the Chargers employed a few 1'st and 2'nd team players in their defense. Still, it was basically one bunch of 3'rd teamers going up against another group of 3'rd teamers, and the fact that our guys didn't look good because the opposition chose to blitz is just an excuse that has little meaning for me. The fact is that there will be tape and these guys can see where they can improve and be better prepared.
When it comes to forming OL chemistry with fellow 2'nd & 3'rd teamers, it can only be created if each player is lined up at the same position continuously, but if the 2021 pre-season games are handled anything like our 2019 pre-season games, there is no telling who you might be playing next to with each game. We have Carberry now as offensive line coach instead of Kromer, so this next game should tell us more on how they approach pre-season game personnel. jmo.

Last edited: