Being a TA at University. Much Respect to Teachers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok, although I have been a Teaching Assistant going on two years, I have been doing independent work for most of that time. This semester is my last as a TA, and it's eye opening.

I'm not a teacher and never wanted to be, especially after this semester. I'm dealing with college freshmen and sophomores, mostly, and they are driving me batshyte. How do you do it? I'm grading the papers of people who care little about the subject (Early American History to 1877). For the majority, they don't read the course material and they gain such a surface level understanding it drives me insane trying to find cogent arguments in the crap they submit for grading.

I'm handing out so many "F's" right now, I feel guilty in a way.....until I start thinking how little they care. I think I'd rather dig ditches than be a teacher for 30+ years in High School or lower.

Teachers, much respect.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok, although I have been a Teaching Assistant going on two years, I have been doing independent work for most of that time. This semester is my last as a TA, and it's eye opening.

I'm not a teacher and never wanted to be, especially after this semester. I'm dealing with college freshmen and sophomores, mostly, and they are driving me batshyte. How do you do it? I'm grading the papers of people who care little about the subject (Early American History to 1877). For the majority, they don't read the course material and they gain such a surface level understanding it drives me insane trying to find cogent arguments in the crap they submit for grading.

I'm handing out so many "F's" right now, I feel guilty in a way.....until I start thinking how little they care. I think I'd rather dig ditches than be a teacher for 30+ years in High School or lower.

Teachers, much respect.

When I was an adjunct instructor years ago in philosophy (late 80s, early 90s) I had one student who if not functionally illiterate was pretty darn close. She was in the paralegal program. Paralegals of course basically read and write for their job. I was amazingly nice, and gave her a D-. She came to me hysterically crying, since it meant she wouldn't graduate. I didn't relent, since I was generous already. The next semester she signed up for my class, not realizing I was teaching it since adjunct instructors don't have their names listed during signups. She walked in, saw me, and turned around and walked out.

One employer saved from hiring an incompetent. The University saved from the embarassment of graduating somebody like that.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut

Teachers, much respect.
That was my experience as a TA. Only students interested in the department or those who had to maintain a certain GPA gave a crap. The department is somewhat to blame since at least one class had to be an easy 101 type to help the liberal arts students get their science requirement. Also helped advertise the department to those undecided on a major or minor. As a TA I ran the lab part of the course and whatever grade I submitted it was the prof who gave the course grade of record. Depends upon the school too.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That was my experience as a TA. Only students interested in the department or those who had to maintain a certain GPA gave a crap. The department is somewhat to blame since at least one class had to be an easy 101 type to help the liberal arts students get their science requirement. Also helped advertise the department to those undecided on a major or minor. As a TA I ran the lab part of the course and whatever grade I submitted it was the prof who gave the course grade of record. Depends upon the school too.
I'm going to continue grading as I see fit. If the Prof. decides I am too harsh, then put me out of my goddam misery and fire my ass! lol

bluecoconuts

Legend
I stopped caring pretty early on. You earn what you earn, my office hours were usually spent with me watching YouTube videos or working on my own stuff. Every so often I'd get someone, and of course by the end I'd get one or two girls trying to show off their tits hoping I would give them a better grade.

We'll see how the new batch of kids go this quarter, new school so we shall see.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Most of us have graduated college by now. It's the post-millennials, that are in college.
Millennials are moving into being the teachers, the next generation are the students now, no longer millennials. Gen Z or whatever we're calling them.
True. I should know, having 3 millennial sons close to 30, and a teenage daughter.

So the gen Z kids are the ones that will take out @LoyalRam . Tear him limb from limb, I tell 'ya.
:unsure: Why do they get to have all the fun?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I stopped caring pretty early on. You earn what you earn, my office hours were usually spent with me watching YouTube videos or working on my own stuff. Every so often I'd get someone, and of course by the end I'd get one or two girls trying to show off their tits hoping I would give them a better grade.

We'll see how the new batch of kids go this quarter, new school so we shall see.
Tits? Looks like they are Grade "A"!
sIXdx4W.gif

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Teachers, much respect.

I come from a family of teachers, college professors actually.

One got into the administration end of the biz and was a Dean at two respected universities.

That part was shittier than teaching according to her.

Most of us have graduated college by now. It's the post-millennials, that are in college.

Still, a millenial "subgroup".

Same species, just different reticulation LOL.

kidding you..............sorta.

Every so often I'd get someone, and of course by the end I'd get one or two girls trying to show off their tits hoping I would give them a better grade.

My father had that happen a handful of times and as he was a bit "Victorian" it was always uncomfortable for him. He got a couple of beaver flashes too.

I'm sure it worked on some professors but not on my Dad. And not on you either so that is awesome!!!

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Still, a millenial "subgroup".

Same species, just different reticulation LOL.

kidding you..............sorta.
Nah, they're better than us. Well some are. I've seen quite a few that are generally just not the same garbage that my fellow millennials tend to be. You know, not to be offensive or anything.

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Leaving High School my goal was to be a teacher. I was inspired by a ninth grade history teacher who for me made his course come alive. It set me on that path. In my second year of college, life was to present me with some roadblocks and obstacles that I believed were insurmountable. Causing me to take a different path. In hindsight they weren't but I couldn't see that at the time. I have never forgotten that teacher or the goals that I had at that time. I guess what I am saying is as a teacher or instructor you may not be able to affect the masses but if you can reach that one student maybe it all would be worth it.