Behold. Your Quarterback.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
giphy.gif

fearsomefour

Legend
To be fair to GR, they don't have that superimposed line running across the field, and there was a ton of crap happening on that play. Is he gonna run and I have to block? Is he coming back and gonna throw? Is he getting sacked? THE HELL IS GOING ON????
"How am I supposed to find a defender right in front of me I can lunge at and lose my balance? How can I find someone to block and then fall down despite being bigger, stronger and more athletic than the guy Im blocking? With the QB out of the pocket how do I give up the edge to the rusher then turn around and watch the play?.....I DONT KNOW WHICH GUY TO MISS!!"

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Ah, I'm ok with that one. It is explicitly a legal play in the rule book and it used to be the QB would immediately throw the ball out of bonds, toward the sideline and over the WR to stop the clock. 6 and 2 3s.
Wow, you're right. Now that you mention it, I vaguely remember Montana doing that.

But I think I'd still prefer they go through the motion. A lot of things can go wrong.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
just neeed to be put to benny hill music and youre on to a winner

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
"How am I supposed to find a defender right in front of me I can lunge at and lose my balance? How can I find someone to block and then fall down despite being bigger, stronger and more athletic than the guy Im blocking? With the QB out of the pocket how do I give up the edge to the rusher then turn around and watch the play?.....I DONT KNOW WHICH GUY TO MISS!!"
Surely you meant to use blue font for this one. Otherwise, totally uncalled for...

fearsomefour

Legend
Surely you meant to use blue font for this one. Otherwise, totally uncalled for...
Well, it was in quotation marks. I'm assuming everyone would get it was a joke and not a real quote from Grob. Although the honesty of such a quote would be refreshing.

fiveten

UDFA
Wow, you're right. Now that you mention it, I vaguely remember Montana doing that.

But I think I'd still prefer they go through the motion. A lot of things can go wrong.

"In the NFL Rule Book, intentional grounding occurs when 'a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage because of pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion.'" (emphasis added)

Item 3: Stopping Clock. A player under center is permitted to stop the game clock legally to save time if, immediately upon receiving the snap, he begins a continuous throwing motion and throws the ball directly into the ground.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
"In the NFL Rule Book, intentional grounding occurs when 'a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage because of pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion.'" (emphasis added)

Item 3: Stopping Clock. A player under center is permitted to stop the game clock legally to save time if, immediately upon receiving the snap, he begins a continuous throwing motion and throws the ball directly into the ground.
Well, I get that it's in the rule book. And I understand the philosophy that the trade off is an immediate loss of down. That still doesn't mean I have to like it. I just think that spiking the ball is wrong. It takes an element of offensive readiness out of the game. Yeah, okay so you have a quick play the QB can call to line up immediately to spike the ball, big deal.

I changed the highlight to illustrate what pains me. Realistic, to me, means that the receiver has to have a chance to get his hands on the ball and pull it in. I don't think that's the case very often when the quarterback throws the ball away to avoid a sack. Can you tell I like quarterback sacks?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for that. (y)

Funny listening to Al Michaels giggle when Keenum scrambled for that big gainer against the Colts. I did the same thing on that long run he had against the Cards. And it's not like we're laughing *at* him, inasmuch as we're laughing at how he doesn't look like the greatest athlete, but he plays like the greatest athlete. I once compared him to a Chihuahua on a podcast, and that still stands for me. You don't fuck around with a Chihuahua, because they don't see themselves as having ANY limitations. They'll tear your shit up - or at least give it one hell of a try.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Thanks for that. (y)

Funny listening to Al Michaels giggle when Keenum scrambled for that big gainer against the Colts. I did the same thing on that long run he had against the Cards. And it's not like we're laughing *at* him, inasmuch as we're laughing at how he doesn't look like the greatest athlete, but he plays like the greatest athlete. I once compared him to a Chihuahua on a podcast, and that still stands for me. You don't freak around with a Chihuahua, because they don't see themselves as having ANY limitations. They'll tear your crap up - or at least give it one hell of a try.

Sounds like a dachshund to me.

Yeah, everyone thinks they're funny. Weiner Dog.

But this is a dog that hunts Badgers underground in their hole.

I had one that would walk the perimeter of our yard whenever I put him out.
There was a big, ol Rottweiler that lived in the next yard.
My dachshund would stop and hike his leg and piss on that Rottweiler and then continue walking his perimeter.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I believe its 3 yards downfield for it to be called

NFL - Article 8, Section 3
This covers ineligible player downfield.

Article 1: Legal and Illegal Acts.

On a scrimmage play during which a legal forward pass is thrown, an ineligible offensive player, including a T-formation quarterback, is not permitted to move more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage before the pass has been thrown.

Item 1: Legally Downfield.

An ineligible player is not illegally downfield if, after initiating contact with an opponent within one yard of the line of scrimmage during his initial charge:

(a) he moves more than one yard beyond the line while legally blocking or being blocked by an opponent; or

(b) after breaking legal contact with an opponent more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage, he remains stationary until a forward pass is thrown; or

(c) after losing legal contact with an opponent more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage, he is forced behind the line of scrimmage by an opponent, at which time he is again subject to normal blocking restrictions for an ineligible offensive player.

No originally ineligible receiver shall be or have been more than three yards beyond the neutral zone until a legal forward pass that crosses the neutral zone has been thrown (A.R. 7-3-10-I and II).

This means that a pass thrown behind the neutral zone (line of scrimmage) does result in a penalty for ineligible players down field. Also the "buffer zone" in college is 3 yards vs. 1 yard in the NFL, but the NCAA does not have the blocking rule that allows a player to leave this buffer zone until the pass in complete.

http://sports.stackexchange.com/questions/8549/what-is-meant-by-ineligible-receiver-downfield

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
NFL - Article 8, Section 3
This covers ineligible player downfield.

Article 1: Legal and Illegal Acts.

On a scrimmage play during which a legal forward pass is thrown, an ineligible offensive player, including a T-formation quarterback, is not permitted to move more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage before the pass has been thrown.

Item 1: Legally Downfield.

An ineligible player is not illegally downfield if, after initiating contact with an opponent within one yard of the line of scrimmage during his initial charge:

(a) he moves more than one yard beyond the line while legally blocking or being blocked by an opponent; or

(b) after breaking legal contact with an opponent more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage, he remains stationary until a forward pass is thrown; or

(c) after losing legal contact with an opponent more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage, he is forced behind the line of scrimmage by an opponent, at which time he is again subject to normal blocking restrictions for an ineligible offensive player.

No originally ineligible receiver shall be or have been more than three yards beyond the neutral zone until a legal forward pass that crosses the neutral zone has been thrown (A.R. 7-3-10-I and II).

This means that a pass thrown behind the neutral zone (line of scrimmage) does result in a penalty for ineligible players down field. Also the "buffer zone" in college is 3 yards vs. 1 yard in the NFL, but the NCAA does not have the blocking rule that allows a player to leave this buffer zone until the pass in complete.

http://sports.stackexchange.com/questions/8549/what-is-meant-by-ineligible-receiver-downfield

yea someone corrected me earlier. I didnt realize this was one of the differences in rules between the 2 leagues. Learn something new everyday I suppose

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
yea someone corrected me earlier. I didnt realize this was one of the differences in rules between the 2 leagues. Learn something new everyday I suppose

Yea I didn't know the exacts rules of both leagues until last weekend myself... I think the rule should be 3 yards for both leagues.. 1 yard is just freaking ridiculous imo...

I heard a show on the radio this week and they mentioned the college refs let the 3 yard rule slide all the time and on many occasions wont even throw a flag unless the Lineman is 5 yards down field. The NFL is flag happy and this one yard rule should be changed yesterday...

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Yea I didn't know the exacts rules of both leagues until last weekend myself... I think the rule should be 3 yards for both leagues.. 1 yard is just freaking ridiculous imo...

I heard a show on the radio this week and they mentioned the college refs let the 3 yard rule slide all the time and on many occasions wont even throw a flag unless the Lineman is 5 yards down field. The NFL is flag happy and this one yard rule should be changed yesterday...

yea its really bad in college, and thats why the whole run or pass (RoP) option plays are so big right now. And 1 yard is way too short but I doubt they are that strict on in and Grob was probably only called cuz it was much more than a yard, but thats kinda to be expected in a long play like that