Behold. Your Quarterback.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I love it! But check GR out on the play. He didn't look to be 3 yards past the line of scrimmage. What's the rule? How far can an OL venture?

Ramer

Been a Ram fan too long to quit now
Even some of the lineman looked surprised that he was able to evade the rush...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What's the rule? How far can an OL venture?
Can't go past the line of scrimmage unless it's a screen play.
It's a stupid rule if you consider that linemen aren't targeted in the passing game unless reporting as eligible anyway.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
I love it! But check GR out on the play. He didn't look to be 3 yards past the line of scrimmage. What's the rule? How far can an OL venture?

I wondered the same, so I Googled it...

In gridiron football, ineligible receiver downfield is a penalty that is called when a forward pass is thrown and an ineligible receiver is beyond the line of scrimmage without blocking an opponent at the time of the pass.

He was pass the LOS (by about 2 feet) and not blocking at the time of the throw.

Bruce2980

Starter

In gridiron football, ineligible receiver downfield is a penalty that is called when a forward pass is thrown and an ineligible receiver is beyond the line of scrimmage without blocking an opponent at the time of the pass.

He was pass the LOS (by about 2 feet) and not blocking at the time of the throw.
Well then it's a damned good thing the refs caught that, God forbid the Rams get away with such a game altering competitive advantage.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Greg ended up about 5 yards past the LOS when Keenum started to run backwards.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Greg ended up about 5 yards past the LOS when Keenum started to run backwards.

Yes, that is correct but he did come back towards the LOS but was just a tad over when the throw was made. Judgement call.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
To be fair to GR, they don't have that superimposed line running across the field, and there was a ton of shit happening on that play. Is he gonna run and I have to block? Is he coming back and gonna throw? Is he getting sacked? THE HELL IS GOING ON????

Picked4td

Pro Bowler

I believe its 3 yards downfield for it to be called

Debacled

Starter
Are they allowed to cross and come back? Its pretty standard to give the guys 1-2 yards as a cushion even on non-screen plays. Saw it happen against the Rams against Detroit a couple years back.

That said, he was virtually back on the LOS when the pass was thrown. If your gonna be on his back for that Saffold was just as far over the line as he was at that point. Called it a scrub call when it happened, and still think thats the case. Written or otherwise like I said above its pretty normal to see them give the linemen a couple extra yards over the LOS before calling it.

Heck the ref that threw the flag was standing on the first down marker not even the LOS line, if anyone was lost on this play it may as well have been him.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
It's a rule that IMO needs to be re-evaluated, along with intentionally spiking the ball to kill clock behind the Center in the pocket...it's INTENTIONAL GROUNDING!! .

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Who believes that the ref makes that call if it's Russell Wilson scrambling around ?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Saffold did the same but GR got the flag. They both thought Keenum was taking off and were ready to clear the way.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Yes, that is correct but he did come back towards the LOS but was just a tad over when the throw was made. Judgement call.

To be fair to GR, they don't have that superimposed line running across the field, and there was a ton of crap happening on that play. Is he gonna run and I have to block? Is he coming back and gonna throw? Is he getting sacked? THE HELL IS GOING ON????

Who believes that the ref makes that call if it's Russell Wilson scrambling around ?

Saffold did the same but GR got the flag. They both thought Keenum was taking off and were ready to clear the way.
Exactly to all of these. As @x noted (and shows in the video), this was a tough call for Grob and usually left alone by the refs. The game was nearly altered by this BS but credit the Rams. They hung in there.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
It's a rule that IMO needs to be re-evaluated, along with intentionally spiking the ball to kill clock behind the Center in the pocket...it's INTENTIONAL GROUNDING!! .
It is very much a contradiction

~lyser

Rookie
It is very much a contradiction

Ah, I'm ok with that one. It is explicitly a legal play in the rule book and it used to be the QB would immediately throw the ball out of bonds, toward the sideline and over the WR to stop the clock. 6 and 2 3s.