Behind the Grind Episode 2: Inside the Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Man, if you watch that as a true Ram fan, it has to give you a sense of extreme appreciation for our leadership. It's frickin' ego-less! I mean, giving lower-level scouts the opportunity to deliver life-long dream-news to picks? Jerry Jones ain't doin' that. What a class organization that makes me so proud to be a fan of!
Yeah I was thinking same. They sure enjoy building people up. What a culture. 2nd to none!!

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I will say, however, that the Director of Scouting is trying a bit too hard to be McVay, lol. He got on my nerves with all of his hand motions while talking.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Honestly, I love this organization. McSnead giving the lower-leveled scouts, the ones with the boots on the ground, the opportunity to tell these kids that their dreams are coming true, is fucking awesome. Verse and Fiske being together made my heart melt and made me cry; you can tell these guys care for each other and love being teammates.

That said, I'd love to see some of their thought processes on the UDFAs. Those are the guys you don't often see, the ones who almost get lost in the scramble: the guys who just missed out on the draft process.

Ram65

Legend
I'm fired up. They had a plan and were able to execute it. Players that can lead and leaders that can play!

Go Rams!!!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Seems like teams weren't lining up to fleece the Rams. When Mcvay said "just make it happen" Snead obliged. When they want a player that much the picks don't seem to be as important.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger

Seems like teams weren't lining up to fleece the Rams. When Mcvay said "just make it happen" Snead obliged. When they want a player that much the picks don't seem to be as important.

Agreed. If the trade was so lopsided against the Rams why were the teams ahead of the Panthers not biting. Sounded like they were offering the same thing and maybe more for the higher picks.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed. If the trade was so lopsided against the Rams why were the teams ahead of the Panthers not biting. Sounded like they were offering the same thing and maybe more for the higher picks.

I take it slightly different.

They didn't want to move down for what the Rams were offering. Which was probably just a 2nd next year and a low pick this year. Remember when Snead was on the phone and he said they wanted something this year they could work with.

Eventually Mcvay couldn't wait any longer because he figured Fiske was going very soon and told Snead just to get a deal done. That's when they upped their offer.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

They didn't want to move down for what the Rams were offering. Which was probably just a 2nd next year and a low pick this year. Remember when Snead was on the phone and he said they wanted something this year they could work with.

Eventually Mcvay couldn't wait any longer because he figured Fiske was going very soon and told Snead just to get a deal done. That's when they upped their offer.

I took that comment to mean the Rams were offering their 2nd (#52 overall) and their 2025 second round pick to move-up to #39; and the 'something this year' turned-out to be the fifth rounder (#154) that was eventually added to the trade offer.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger

Disagree. Next years second alone and a low draft pick was never going to move the needle for a high second this year. They were probably offering a similar package to other teams as what they gave Carolina. They even stated in the video that they felt Carolina would be a team to take their offer. The video shows Snead offering next year's second to another team (before talking with Carolina) and whoever it was did not budge. Of coarse we do not know what the full offer was but the gist is next year's second was not enough to entice the mystery team, yet offering next years second is the part of the trade has been panned by so many pundits as giving up too much.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Maybe so. Though of course every team had guys like that in their draft, who they probably had higher than many other teams, and who "they could not believe" made it to them. So just a matter of whether they're right about him. It would be a big deal if they hit on him though, because with the FA addition that means the safety position is completely rebuilt and we'll get more consistency on that back end. Our corners are iffy, so they're gonna need things to go their way and getting good play by the safety pairing will help in that regard.

Lot of moving parts on defense. So many new pieces, plus AD being gone, plus the new shot caller. It's hard to say what we're gonna get but it does feel like the talent level jumped significantly this offseason.
The corners are iffy? Darius Williams is a very good corner. Texaco’s White is an excellent corner. Plus, we saw what leadership in the secondary can do for young players, when Weddle joined the second time.

I get the health concerns with White, but his Dr is the Rams team Dr. I think the Rams are comfortable in thinking that Tredavious will be back healthy at some point.

I feel much better about this years corner group, than I did last years. Plus the safeties are all younger and faster. It’s a clear upgrade for the entire secondary imo.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Disagree. Next years second alone and a low draft pick was never going to move the needle for a high second this year. They were probably offering a similar package to other teams as what they gave Carolina. They even stated in the video that they felt Carolina would be a team to take their offer. The video shows Snead offering next year's second to another team (before talking with Carolina) and whoever it was did not budge. Of coarse we do not know what the full offer was but the gist is next year's second was not enough to entice the mystery team, yet offering next years second is the part of the trade has been panned by so many pundits as giving up too much.
The pundits are hyper focused on the risk of that trade. When reviewing the Rams draft it totally dominates the conversations

It’s stupid for them to be so intense about it. They have no idea how it will play out. It could end up being a great move.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The corners are iffy? Darius Williams is a very good corner. Texaco’s White is an excellent corner. Plus, we saw what leadership in the secondary can do for young players, when Weddle joined the second time.

I get the health concerns with White, but his Dr is the Rams team Dr. I think the Rams are comfortable in thinking that Tredavious will be back healthy at some point.

I feel much better about this years corner group, than I did last years. Plus the safeties are all younger and faster. It’s a clear upgrade for the entire secondary imo.
They look better than last year but yes that group is good IF. If, if, if. Thus the term. :laugh1:

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
Even if everything doesn’t go right, I think the unit is still upgraded considerably.
Agreed. Hypothetically, would you trade Witherspoon, Fuller and JJ3 for Curl, Williams, and Tre White while you've also got Lake, Yeast, Kendrick, Durant and J Taylor coming back and then nab Kinchens in the draft?
We know what we had with the first three, and it was underwhelming. The potential for growth and improvement with what we now have is impressive.