B.Y on Jared Verse OTA progress (DaSilva)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Byron Young can already tell Jared Verse is 'going to be really special​

USATSI_23346276.jpg

Cameron DaSilva

When Jared Verse was drafted 19th overall by the Rams in April, he became their first pick in Round 1 since Jared Goff in 2016. Needless to say, expectations are high for the rookie pass rusher out of Florida State and fans can’t wait to see him on the field this season.

Verse is currently going through OTAs before training camp opens in July and he’s already impressing at least one of his teammates. Byron Young, a standout defender as a rookie last season, can see the potential Verse possesses.
Young told J.B. Long and Maurice Jones-Drew last week that Verse is “doing way better” than he was this time last year, raving about his professionalism and talent on the practice field.

“Watching him, the way he’s doing right now, doing way better than me last year,” Young said. “Coming through OTAs, he’s handling it like a pro so I can already see he’s going to be really special. That’s what I like about him.”

Young was asked to name a teammate who’s stood out in OTAs thus far and he immediately went back to Verse.

“I’m going to start with Jared Verse. No lie, if you’ve been here so far, he’s just handling it like a pro,” Young said. “His get-off is insane, rushing the passer, every day just showing up, listening, being accountable.
Me being a vet and him being younger, he’s listening. He’s just a guy that wants to learn. Every day I talk to him and that’s what I love about him. He’s a guy that’s hungry. He’s definitely hungry.”
Verse might only be a rookie, but he’s making his voice known in practice. Young says Verse is vocal on the field, which provides some extra juice for the defense – something he loves to see from the first-year edge rusher.

“I love it. I was telling coach about that the other day. He definitely brings the dog out of me,” Young said. “His aggression, his love for the game. Every day he comes out there, you’re going to hear him and that’s what we need. We need that spark, man. It’ll be some days, I feel like we’re starting slow but you will hear him and he will spark up the team. when they drafted him, I already knew he was like that, so I was just happy. I was like, I’ve got to come out of my shell more so he’s definitely going to have me do that.”

Young and Verse are projected to be the starting outside linebackers for the Rams this season, with Michael Hoecht also in the mix. Young and Verse bring an abundance of speed and power on the outside, especially with Young bulking up and adding 10 pounds of muscle to his frame this offseason.

The loss of Aaron Donald is immeasurable but the tandem of Young and Verse should pay dividends for Los Angeles in 2024.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looks like Bruss has another season to rest up... unless something happens to our starting OG's.
Wouldn't that be great, hoping that is how it works out. I also hope Logan is capable if we need him to step up although our OL unit with or without him is solid or so it appears.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Sorry, I just caught this reply.
Optimism is the impetus more than anything, if you break it down my optimism is based on these factors.

Our proven scouting team through the McVay era deserves some latitude and by all evidence got quite excited over the Bruss pick.
Logan suffered the setback and then when he returned he didn't look the part. I draw my optimism from other players. Although players like Kupp and others had a history of production they still were slow to return to form (this confidently assumes that Kupp regains form this season) so maybe Logan wasn't even ready to step up. Who knows, confidence to trust your body after injury, pressure to perform when still not 100%? I think there are enough legitimate questions to hold out some hope and I think they will be answered early in pre-season. I believe we learned our lesson in regards to holding out hope and holding up roster spots with past unproven O.L prospects that didn't pan out.
Hey, there's always a chance. I'm far more encouraged by other talent we have on the roster though and want them to get the snaps.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
NFL: Combine

NFL: Combine© Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports
The new behind-the-scenes documentary from NFL Films and Roku; NFL Draft: The Pick Is In revealed the Los Angeles Rams several failed attempts to trade up in the 2024 NFL Draft. The Rams were targeting a handful of players in the first round and were aggressively attempting to position themselves to get one of them.

Of course, we know what eventually happened. The Rams stood pat at 19 and drafted one of their top prospects, Jared Verse. But before Verse, they were angling to get ahead of the Indianapolis Colts for Brock Bowers. They, then, wanted to trade ahead of the Seattle Seahawks for Byron Murphy II.

There were also reports that the Los Angeles Rams attempted to trade up with the Atlanta Falcons as well.

Los Angeles Rams Trade Attempts For Bowers​

Candice Ward-USA TODAY Sports

Candice Ward-USA TODAY Sports© Provided by LAFB Network
The Rams first attempted to trade up to 10 with the New York Jets to get Bowers. The Rams initially offered 19 and 52, which was rejected. They threw pick 99 in to sweeten the deal. No dice.

Rams general manager Les Snead then wanted to pivot to Minnesota. But head coach Sean McVay correctly surmised they would want JJ McCarthy at that spot. A quick phone call to Rams former QB coach and current Vikings head coach cleared up that notion.

McVay was convinced that the Colts would take Bowers if he fell that far. This caused them to pivot to the next team willing to trade back, the Las Vegas Raiders. It turned out the Raiders wanted Bowers, they turned away the Rams offer of 19 and 52 and drafted the tight end.

Los Angeles Rams Trade Attempts For Murphy​

Ricardo B. Brazziell / USA TODAY NETWORK

Ricardo B. Brazziell / USA TODAY NETWORK© Provided by LAFB Network
The Ram then shifted their attention to getting Murphy.

“We’ll be reasonable, but try and go up and get Murphy,” McVay said, “I would try to get this guy. He makes a huge difference to me. I just don’t think he’ll get past 16. I’m not saying reckless but he’s way better than anyone.”
The Rams attempted to sneak ahead of the Seattle Seahawks by offering the Colts’ picks 19, 99, and 154 to move up to 15. No go. The Colts picked Laiatu Latu and the Seahawks ended up taking Murphy at 16.

Los Angeles Rams Go Verse or Bust​

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports© Provided by LAFB Network
At this point, it was Verse or trade back for the Rams.

Snead: “If Verse goes, you think about trading back?”

McVay: “Definitely. If he goes, definitely. I’d move back. If not, stay there and take him.”

RamsinNV

UDFA
Thanks for posting the Roku documentary. Good inside look at the Rams. I’m happy it was Verse instead of a trade up.

On a side note: Drew Rosenhaus seems so fake and disingenuous. Glad he’s a family man and all, but watching him interact with Bullard and Brownlee’s families was kinda brutal.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
It woulda been intriguing to have a talented tight end for the next 5 years. Look at what Kelce does for Mahomes and KC. Get the right one and he's really tough to cover. But on the other hand, would we really need one? One that we woulda gave up a lot for? I know its all about offense. A good one can get you to the playoffs. But if you want to go deep in the playoffs you gotta have that defense. I think things worked out ok. Verse could be a top tier pass rusher very soon.