B.Y on Jared Verse OTA progress (DaSilva)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Byron Young can already tell Jared Verse is 'going to be really special​

USATSI_23346276.jpg

Cameron DaSilva

When Jared Verse was drafted 19th overall by the Rams in April, he became their first pick in Round 1 since Jared Goff in 2016. Needless to say, expectations are high for the rookie pass rusher out of Florida State and fans can’t wait to see him on the field this season.

Verse is currently going through OTAs before training camp opens in July and he’s already impressing at least one of his teammates. Byron Young, a standout defender as a rookie last season, can see the potential Verse possesses.
Young told J.B. Long and Maurice Jones-Drew last week that Verse is “doing way better” than he was this time last year, raving about his professionalism and talent on the practice field.

“Watching him, the way he’s doing right now, doing way better than me last year,” Young said. “Coming through OTAs, he’s handling it like a pro so I can already see he’s going to be really special. That’s what I like about him.”

Young was asked to name a teammate who’s stood out in OTAs thus far and he immediately went back to Verse.

“I’m going to start with Jared Verse. No lie, if you’ve been here so far, he’s just handling it like a pro,” Young said. “His get-off is insane, rushing the passer, every day just showing up, listening, being accountable.
Me being a vet and him being younger, he’s listening. He’s just a guy that wants to learn. Every day I talk to him and that’s what I love about him. He’s a guy that’s hungry. He’s definitely hungry.”
Verse might only be a rookie, but he’s making his voice known in practice. Young says Verse is vocal on the field, which provides some extra juice for the defense – something he loves to see from the first-year edge rusher.

“I love it. I was telling coach about that the other day. He definitely brings the dog out of me,” Young said. “His aggression, his love for the game. Every day he comes out there, you’re going to hear him and that’s what we need. We need that spark, man. It’ll be some days, I feel like we’re starting slow but you will hear him and he will spark up the team. when they drafted him, I already knew he was like that, so I was just happy. I was like, I’ve got to come out of my shell more so he’s definitely going to have me do that.”

Young and Verse are projected to be the starting outside linebackers for the Rams this season, with Michael Hoecht also in the mix. Young and Verse bring an abundance of speed and power on the outside, especially with Young bulking up and adding 10 pounds of muscle to his frame this offseason.

The loss of Aaron Donald is immeasurable but the tandem of Young and Verse should pay dividends for Los Angeles in 2024.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It sounds like Young, actually looks up to Verse as far as approach and leadership.
Could be that we need another vocal leader and Verse is the answer.
Also could be Verse helps to elevate Young's game and if so would further
the potential impact of this draft.
Hoping this front gels and gels rather quickly.
They are an exciting group on paper let’s translate that to the field.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I expect Verse will be solid in year one because he is very physical, but if dominance is in his future it will probably take him a year or two to get there.

Young now going into year two is my hope to see an increase of rush threat in that front. Otherwise what we are looking at is a median pressures and sacks total, which puts pressure on the secondary. Though I do expect very good run defense from this front. Seems like they'll be quite tough to run on so hopefully they can get most teams into plenty of third and longs and maybe end up with more pressures than expected.

If Young makes significant strides then we should be in business, as the overall physicality of that front should play well with a good edge and there's another talented youngster coming into his own game by game.

Feels to me like the defensive front will be a strength basically. But a strength moreso vs the run for this season. Hopefully the rush improves as we go forward, or we see strides made by several players so it's a group lift.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
For all his generational talent, Donald was more times than not a quiet leader. Verse sounds like he brings a high level of emotion to the defense. Can't wait for the Rams D to get loud and nasty! Bark at those whiners! Would love to see as the Rams are routing them Verse looking back to a teammate, saying it loud enough for the whiners to hear "I thought you said this was a rivalry? This more like a slaughter!!" :laugh4:

Angry Dog GIF by DevX Art

Last edited:

WestCoastRam

Legend
It's good to hear, that's the kind of thing you hear that will at least point to a high floor with him if not a high ceiling.

Teams draft busts all the time. Really will be remarkable if we keep our very good to great drafting streak alive. Hopefully Bruss keeps us out of the bust category for awhile.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Gotta think this kid is another one of those "force multiplier" types, who get more outta his teammates just because he's there.
Man, can't wait until TC to see him & Fiske & Young & Turner on the same field. BBIII plugging the nose, hopefully sticking around for 3rd downs, would be killer.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Hopefully Bruss keeps us out of the bust category for awhile.
Not to derail the Verse thread but if we can get Bruss to a solid back up and dressed on Sundays that would be a great start.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And let's not forget Hoecht sacks the QB too. D-line has good depth. McSnead has given Shula a lot of tools to work with. Same with the secondary, although built differently. Hopefully the oveeall team Defense will come together and start strong this year.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
@RamDino exactly this. It’s the first time in years we have depth. Oline I’m confident we have depth between Boom, Leve, Limmer, and McC. If Bruss is cut, so what?

Depth at QB. Depth at TE. Depth at WR. Depth at RB. The only place we don’t have good backups is MLB and CB.

If we get hit by the injury bug, no biggie. We got players to get us a couple of wins during the regular season.

Last edited:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I expect Verse will be solid in year one because he is very physical, but if dominance is in his future it will probably take him a year or two to get there.

Young now going into year two is my hope to see an increase of rush threat in that front. Otherwise what we are looking at is a median pressures and sacks total, which puts pressure on the secondary. Though I do expect very good run defense from this front. Seems like they'll be quite tough to run on so hopefully they can get most teams into plenty of third and longs and maybe end up with more pressures than expected.

If Young makes significant strides then we should be in business, as the overall physicality of that front should play well with a good edge and there's another talented youngster coming into his own game by game.

Feels to me like the defensive front will be a strength basically. But a strength moreso vs the run for this season. Hopefully the rush improves as we go forward, or we see strides made by several players so it's a group lift.
I think Byron Young has a big year. The kid was really raw last yr and still ended up with 8 sacks. Now imagine him with better technique and more size/strength.

He was interviewed during OTA's by DeMarco & the play by play guy...he said he was currently at 260 lbs and felt great. The guy will be a beast this yr, which will also help Verse & Turner.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think Byron Young has a big year. The kid was really raw last yr and still ended up with 8 sacks. Now imagine him with better technique and more size/strength.

He was interviewed during OTA's by DeMarco & the play by play guy...he said he was currently at 260 lbs and felt great. The guy will be a beast this yr, which will also help Verse & Turner.
It was Jones-Drew who interview him.He knows Jared Verse from camps & a visit to Tennessee where he tried to recruit him.

This report was basically from the interview.The thing Ram Fans want to forget about is The Rams depth.

Young said he wants the same amount of REPS(snaps) as last season. I think he wouldn’t get as many Snaps in 2024,but will have better totals.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
It's good to hear, that's the kind of thing you hear that will at least point to a high floor with him if not a high ceiling.

Teams draft busts all the time. Really will be remarkable if we keep our very good to great drafting streak alive. Hopefully Bruss keeps us out of the bust category for awhile.

I think he is a high floor guy. That floor being an above average NFL starter.

That’s good enough to make the pick worthwhile and keep our window open.

If he turns into an all-pro that would be a bonus. Cant wait to see him strap it up!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I love that at 23 Verse is already a vocal leader. Its impressive that he's already motivating a 26 year old teammate and it isn't even training camp yet. The last guy the Rams had up front that really talked it up was probably Von Miller.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I love that at 23 Verse is already a vocal leader. Its impressive that he's already motivating a 26 year old teammate and it isn't even training camp yet. The last guy the Rams had up front that really talked it up was probably Von Miller.
Agreed. I think BY and Verse will motivate each other. Meet me at the QB type stuff. Can't wait.

200w (2).gif

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Jared Verse won't dial back his fiery and loud personality on the field: 'That's just who I am'​

Jared Verse may only be a rookie but he’s going to make his voice heard on the field. He was vocal at Florida State and he’s been the same way during OTAs up to this point, which his teammate Byron Young loves to see.

In the latest episode of “Behind The Grind”, Sean McVay can be heard talking about how important it is to have a vocal leader on defense.

“Dog. You need a guy that has some (expletive) bark to him to go talk some (expletive) to people, too,” McVay said.

Verse is unapologetically loud. He spoke to Stu Jackson of TheRams.com recently and said he isn’t going to dial back his fiery attitude on the field – and he shouldn’t.

“That’s who I am,” Verse said. “I’m not going to shy away from hiding who I am. This is who I am. I talk a lot. I’m loud. I’m vocal. You gonna hear me. I make a play, you gonna see me hyped up. That’s just who I am. I can’t hide it. I’m not gonna pull back from anybody.”

With Aaron Donald no longer in the locker room, the Rams are looking for someone to step up as the leader of the defense. Ernest Jones will unquestionably be one of those guys, as will Kobie Turner, Tre’Davious White and Darious Williams. But it sounds like Verse is doing a great job of making himself heard on defense.

It’s a sign of his confidence and passion, and it stems from the fact that he’s been always felt doubted.

“I mean, it just comes from me always being doubted, and I really like to hear my voice. I want others to hear it, I want to be loud,” Verse said. “I really just like people to hear me. (Well), not even like to hear me, but it gets me more involved. When other people hear you talking, it gets them more involved, and just gives me, like, a lot more energy. It gives those around me a lot more energy, especially when we’re out there making plays. It just gets everybody hyped up and it just hypes me up. It’s more of a mental thing than anything.”

Verse is an essential piece of the defense in Los Angeles, even though he has yet to play an NFL snap. If he can bring leadership qualities in addition to being a productive pass rusher, the Rams will be elated.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
The energy he brings + the competence of the coaching staff... look out.
But that sword can cut both ways. He just needs to keep it constructive, and we'll be fine.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don

Not to derail the Verse thread but if we can get Bruss to a solid back up and dressed on Sundays that would be a great start.

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think Bruss can do that?
Sorry, I just caught this reply.
Optimism is the impetus more than anything, if you break it down my optimism is based on these factors.

Our proven scouting team through the McVay era deserves some latitude and by all evidence got quite excited over the Bruss pick.
Logan suffered the setback and then when he returned he didn't look the part. I draw my optimism from other players. Although players like Kupp and others had a history of production they still were slow to return to form (this confidently assumes that Kupp regains form this season) so maybe Logan wasn't even ready to step up. Who knows, confidence to trust your body after injury, pressure to perform when still not 100%? I think there are enough legitimate questions to hold out some hope and I think they will be answered early in pre-season. I believe we learned our lesson in regards to holding out hope and holding up roster spots with past unproven O.L prospects that didn't pan out.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Sorry, I just caught this reply.
Optimism is the impetus more than anything, if you break it down my optimism is based on these factors.

Our proven scouting team through the McVay era deserves some latitude and by all evidence got quite excited over the Bruss pick.
Logan suffered the setback and then when he returned he didn't look the part. I draw my optimism from other players. Although players like Kupp and others had a history of production they still were slow to return to form (this confidently assumes that Kupp regains form this season) so maybe Logan wasn't even ready to step up. Who knows, confidence to trust your body after injury, pressure to perform when still not 100%? I think there are enough legitimate questions to hold out some hope and I think they will be answered early in pre-season. I believe we learned our lesson in regards to holding out hope and holding up roster spots with past unproven O.L prospects that didn't pan out.
Looks like Bruss has another season to rest up... unless something happens to our starting OG's.