Av’s Preliminary Mock Draft (Picks 1-18) and Rams Draft Boards

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

methomas50

UDFA
I agree McConkey looks a Ram type WR. I dont think they would pick him any sooner than rd 3 however.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree McConkey looks a Ram type WR. I dont think they would pick him any sooner than rd 3 however.
Unfortunately, I don't think he'll last that long. A guy who could fit well who I think will be there in Round 3 (maybe even with our pick at the end of the round obtained due to Morris' hiring) is Jalen McMillan of Washington. I watched Washington a few times, primarily due to my interest in Rome Odunze, and McMillan was a guy who always seemed to be open and moving the chains.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Man, I just don't see the logic of going WR that early, especially with our scouting department being so excellent at spotting later round guys. So much more pressing needs IMO. Depending upon our resignings, we could need: starting LT, Starting Center, Starting RG, already need starting CB & edge. Throw in we will have a relatively unproven TE starting the season with a oft injured starter on IR. I'm all for grabbing a WR in this draft, but, past the 3rd IMO.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Man, I just don't see the logic of going WR that early, especially with our scouting department being so excellent at spotting later round guys. So much more pressing needs IMO. Depending upon our resignings, we could need: starting LT, Starting Center, Starting RG, already need starting CB & edge. Throw in we will have a relatively unproven TE starting the season with a oft injured starter on IR. I'm all for grabbing a WR in this draft, but, past the 3rd IMO.
Hard to fully assess needs right now. If we go into the draft having failed to (1) re-sign Dotson (and, to a lesser extent, Shelton), (2) not having signed an EDGE in FA, and (3) without a legitimate QB2 on the roster, my projections will almost certainly change.

What I'm really trying to do this year is put thought into finding guys who really fit our system and culture. That's what points me in the direction of guys like McConkey.

Memphis Ram

Legend

If the best player available is a WR, the Rams would be nuts to select another player, IMO. That's how the Ravens draft so well.

The Cowboys, too. When they do it.

That's how they got Micah Parsons instead of the 3rd best CB when Horn and Surtain (who they were targeting) came off the board. That's how they got Cee Dee Lamb instead of K'Lavon Chaisson who they were said to be targeting to fill a need. They went back to the need-based route last year and ended up with Mazi Smith who disappointed.

Badfinger

RamStalk Refugee
Name
-
If the best player available is a WR, the Rams would be nuts to select another player, IMO. That's how the Ravens draft so well.

That's how they got Micah Parsons instead of the 3rd best CB when Horn and Surtain (who they were targeting) came off the board. That's how they got Cee Dee Lamb instead of K'Lavon Chaisson who they were said to be targeting to fill a need. They went back to the need-based route last year and ended up with Mazi Smith who disappointed.
It's a deep WR class. There may very well be a point at which BPA is a wideout with the Rams on the clock. I have a feeling we may be trading back to acquire more picks, and that we might be looking at another big draft class. Including a WR.

Wisconsinram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mike
Memphis, love your posts and I get your point. Just keep in mind, we have to consider the difference between best player available and a team's draft board.
Using your example, I would surmise the Cowboys had Horn and Surtain in their sites (targets) because they offered the team the best combination of best player available and team need (why you sited Horn/Surtain) using their prognocations for their position. However, it's clear they had Parsons extremely high on their draft board, at least so high as they passed on their own targets for the position as it relates to best player available and need.
In short, I think a review of selections over time would indicate teams select based on team need and their evaluation of the best players available at that position relative to drafting order. The exception, rather than the rule, is that another player "drops" so far to them that they take them regardless of team need.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I definitely see CB as the strongest position group for the mid-late 1st round.
This is also in response @Londoner regarding a CB in the First round.
IMO, the CB class is Deep. I think we need a couple of them in addition to a veteran being added in Free Agency. But, there should be starter quality CB's in the 3rd round. There are no OL or Edge players in the 3rd round that can contribute immediately or improve what is already on the roster. The OT's and Edge players will start thinning out in the Second round.
I would have included Chris Braswell in your Rams Top 10 and removed Keon Coleman. I don't think Coleman fits the Rams offense.

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
This is also in response @Londoner regarding a CB in the First round.
IMO, the CB class is Deep. I think we need a couple of them in addition to a veteran being added in Free Agency. But, there should be starter quality CB's in the 3rd round. There are no OL or Edge players in the 3rd round that can contribute immediately or improve what is already on the roster. The OT's and Edge players will start thinning out in the Second round.
I would have included Chris Braswell in your Rams Top 10 and removed Keon Coleman. I don't think Coleman fits the Rams offense.
Whilst I fully understand your point, I’m just fed up of our secondary being full of JAGs.

I want to see a true difference maker back there- Antoine Winfield in free agency and/or one of the elite CB prospects at #19.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Memphis, love your posts and I get your point. Just keep in mind, we have to consider the difference between best player available and a team's draft board.
Using your example, I would surmise the Cowboys had Horn and Surtain in their sites (targets) because they offered the team the best combination of best player available and team need (why you sited Horn/Surtain) using their prognocations for their position. However, it's clear they had Parsons extremely high on their draft board, at least so high as they passed on their own targets for the position as it relates to best player available and need.
In short, I think a review of selections over time would indicate teams select based on team need and their evaluation of the best players available at that position relative to drafting order. The exception, rather than the rule, is that another player "drops" so far to them that they take them regardless of team need.
Yeah. I understand the difference between best player available and a team's draft board. And that's even to the point that I know that there are really only 32 opinions (draft boards) that really matters.

But I also understand that team needs don't influence player availability and that rookies aren't always the best panacea for immediate needs (probably why some teams seem to consider future years in their considerations a bit more than others).

IMO, the best way to go about drafting is closer to via the earlier mentioned exception. BPA within reason and fill needs with free agency is the best way to go. The draft is a crapshoot enough to do otherwise.

BTW, I've watched / listened to a lot of the Cowboys draft content over the years and the information I provided was via their "insiders."

Last edited:

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion

I don't disagree with this at all. I guess I also just am of the mind that McConkey won't be the BPA in that slot. I'd take every one of those 10 over him (maybe not the RB's). He has not performed as well as expected on the last 2 senior bowl practices and in fact, has been out performed by Roman Wilson IMO. I'm kind of really starting to hope we can nab Sanders on Day 2. That would fill a huge need and add another weapon to our offense.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I don't disagree with this at all. I guess I also just am of the mind that McConkey won't be the BPA in that slot. I'd take every one of those 10 over him (maybe not the RB's). He has not performed as well as expected on the last 2 senior bowl practices and in fact, has been out performed by Roman Wilson IMO. I'm kind of really starting to hope we can nab Sanders on Day 2. That would fill a huge need and add another weapon to our offense.
Oh. I agree wholeheartedly on McConkey in that slot.

But let's say a far more realistic option like Xavier Legette is the pick. If Snead walked to the podium and said that he was the BPA on their board, I would just take note and applaud (And make sure I didn't draft Cooper Kupp in any early best ball fantasy leagues).

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
A guy I’m adding to my day 2 board: Malachi Corley, WR, Western Kentucky. The self-proclaimed “YAC King” had a good Senior Bowl week, and his blocking ability makes him a McVay-type WR.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Here are my preliminary draft lists. I’ve mocked the first 18 picks leading up to the Rams’ selection at No. 19. I’ve then provided my Top 10 draft board, some guys I’m hoping to see fall to Rounds 2 and 3, and some Day 3 sleepers.

First Round Mock: Picks 1-18
1. Chicago Bears: Caleb Williams, QB, USC
2. Washington Commodes: Drake Maye, QB, North Carolina
3. New England Patriots: Jayden Daniels, QB, LSU
4. Arizona Cardinals: Marvin Harrison, Jr., WR, Ohio State
5. Los Angeles Chargers: Rome Odunze, WR, Washington
6. New York Giants: Joe Alt, OT, Notre Dame
7. Tennessee Titans: Olumuyiwa Fashanu, OT, Penn State
8. Atlanta Falcons: Laiatu Latu, EDGE, UCLA
9. Chicago Bears: Dallas Turner, EDGE, Alabama
10. New York Jets: Taliese Fuaga, OT, Oregon State
11. Minnesota Vikings: Jared Verse, EDGE, Florida State
12. Denver Broncos: Bo Nix, QB, Oregon
13. Las Vegas Raiders: Byron Murphy, II, DT, Texas
14. New Orleans Saints: Malik Nabers, WR, LSU
15. Indianapolis Colts: Brock Bowers, TE, Georgia
16. Seattle Seahawks: Jer’Zahn Newton, DT, Illinois
17. Jacksonville Jaguars: Terrion Arnold, CB, Alabama
18. Cincinnati Bengals: J.C. Latham, OT, Alabama

Rams Draft Board: Top 10
1. Cooper DeJean, CB, Iowa
2. Quinyon Mitchell, CB, Toledo
3. Nate Wiggins, CB, Clemson
4. Keon Coleman, WR, FSU
5. Jordan Morgan, OT, Arizona
6. Jackson Powers-Johnson, IOL, Oregon
7. Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
8. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
9. Ennis Rakestraw, Jr., CB, Missouri
10. Brian Thomas, Jr., WR, LSU

Guys I like for Day 2 (Rounds 2-3):
1. Ladd McConkey, WR, Georgia
2. Trey Benson, RB, FSU
3. Ja’Tavion Sanders, TE, Texas
4. Darius Robinson, EDGE, Missouri
5. Blake Corum, RB, Michigan
6. Jalen McMillon, WR, Washington
7. Junior Colson, LB, Michigan
8. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
9. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
10. Christian Mahogany, OG, Boston College

Guys I’d Love to See on Day 3 (Rounds 4-7)
1. Dylan Laube, RB, New Hampshire
2. Sedrick Van Pran, C, Georgia
3. Cade Stover, TE, Ohio State
4. Jaylan Ford, LB, Texas
5. Ben Sinnott, TE, Kansas State
I would be pretty happy landing anyone of your top 10 Rams Draft Board. Could be a great opportunity to trade back if anyone is looking to move up.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If the draft fell this way, I wonder if the Rams would have made an attempt to move up for Nabers or Bowers.
Lol. I just popped in here and immediately said to myself the same thing.

Either of those guys fell to #14 I’m on the phones. This offense needs to be more explosive at the skill spots.

I actually like Nabers for us over Harrison jr.