Av’s 2022 7 Round Rams Mock Draft (Version 1.0)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Here's my first effort of this offseason.

Yes, its way too early. Yes, I know I probably have players slotted a bit early or late. Yes, I know that things will change with free agency, the combine and pro days.

That said, this mock encompasses some concepts I have regarding position and scheme fits. So... here we go!

Round 3 (Comp): Leo Chenal, LB, Wisconsin (Soph/RS), 6’2, 250 lbs
Chenal is a big, inside run-stuffer, who is also adept at inside blitzing. I think that an ILB rotation of Ernest Jones, Trevin Howard and Chenal would be very versatile and effective.

Round 4 (Comp): Bubba Bolden, S, Miami (Sr./RS), 6’3, 200 lbs
What I like about Bolden is that he has the skill set to contribute at both the FS and SS spots. The Rams will have to decide whether they have enough at the position. Given that they turned to Eric Weddle, I think that’s a fair question.

Round 5: Brian Robinson, Jr., RB, Alabama (Sr.), 6’1, 225 lbs
2021 showed the importance of RB depth, so I think this is a good spot to take a guy who can replace Sony Michel (likely departing in FA). I like Robinson’s size, pass blocking, and receiving skills. Could make Darrell Henderson expendable when his contract runs out in 2023.

Round 6 (COMP): Emil Ekiyor, OG, Alabama (Sr./RS), 6’3, 324 lbs
With two starters (Brian Allen, Austin Corbett) and one potential starter (Joe Noteboom) all headed for FA, we will likely need to bolster the OL. Ekiyor has a ton of experience in high-level competition, and should be able to contribute early in his career.

Round 6 (COMP): Montaric Brown, CB, Arkansas (Sr./RS), 6’0, 190
Cornerback depth will be an issue this offseason, in all likelihood. Brown is reputed to be a good fit in a zone scheme and a very good tackler.

Round 6 (COMP): James Empey, C/OG, BYU (Sr./RS), 6’4, 309
This pick, again, accounts for the possibility of losing Brian Allen and/or Austin Corbett to FA. Another player with a lot of game experience.

Round 7: Matt Araiza, P, San Diego State (Jr.), 6’2, 200
The Rams flirted with replacing Johnny Hekker, but kept him, allowing him to get a ring. Now, it may be time to save some money and move on. Araiza could be gone by this point, but would be a good choice if he’s still on the board.

Round 7: Aqeel Glass, QB, Alabama A&M (Sr./RS), 6’5, 215
How about a flyer on a developmental QB here? Glass was a standout at the recent HBCU all-star game. No harm in a bit of competition behind Matthew Stafford.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Personally, I'd prefer a greater emphasis at OG than a couple of likely 6'th-7'th round prospects, and I believe Ekiyor mentioned he was remaining at Alabama for the 2022 season if I'm not mistaken. Another year at school and Ekiyor might just boost his draft stock into 2'nd or 3'rd round territory. I like the players, but also see us having to move up in the draft for guys like Chenal & Robinson.
jmo.

Last edited:

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You’re right about Ekiyor returning to Alabama. Draft sites with his profile not yet updated, I guess.

I’d replace him with another OG. Perhaps we go back to the OL factory in Wisconsin and go with Logan Bruss (projected to move from OT to OG).