Aubry Pleasant to Coach Next Preseason Game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry, I do not have a link. I just heard it on Serious Channel 88. McVay is going to spend time in the broadcast booth. Is he gone after this year?

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think this means anything other than McVay might wish to get some real experience behind the microphone to see what it's like and if he is any good at it. I think a lot depends on how the Rams do this year. If they are very good and make a deep playoff run I would expect McVay to come back and try to win another ring, especially if Stafford comes back.

Maybe this is a good chance to get Aubry Pleasant some head coaching experience. Maybe the Rams are trying to give the guy some experience so some other team will draft him and they get another set of 3rd-round comp picks. Either way, if McVay chooses to retire from coaching, I have the utmost confidence that Les Snead will find an excellent replacement.

Sometimes I don't think Les Snead gets enough credit for the job he's done, at least from the league's standpoint. Let's go back a few years... it was Snead who convinced Demoff and/or Kroenke to keep him after firing Jeff Fisher. Then he hires a 30 year-old "offensive assistant" with no head coaching experience who gets the team in the playoffs the very first year. In addition to that, Les brought on 35 year-old Andrew Whitworth to solidify the LT position, Robert Woods, John Sullivan, Nickell Robey-Coleman and Sammy Watkins. The team went from basically last place to first place in almost every offensive category. Then the team reaches the super bowl in 3 seasons and wins it in 5. It doesn't get any more successful than that.

And most important (to Stan anyway) his success has helped improve the Rams standing in the league, in Stan's net worth, and popularity in the Los Angeles area 5 times over what they were worth before.

For an encore... Les drafts late-round prospects that turn into incredible rookies/stars after a disaster-filled year when the team didn't even have a 1st or 2nd round pick and no one, including me, expected them to be any good and especially not make the playoffs. This year's draft appears to be another incredible draft for Snead. Maybe even better than last year, if you can believe that (we'll see). I'm sure McVay has Snead's ear in the draft room and is certainly a "decision-influencer", but I think Les makes the final decisions on most picks. After all... it is Les Snead's team who scouts college players every year. And now, it looks like Snead has done it again in this year's draft. I swear... the guy is King Midas.

Bottom like is that IF/WHEN we lose McVay, I will be very sad. But I would expect Les to go find another gem in the football world. Who knows... maybe it will be Aubry Pleasant.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Sorry, I do not have a link. I just heard it on Serious Channel 88. McVay is going to spend time in the broadcast booth. Is he gone after this year?
It's my opinion that Coach Mac is pretty much joined at the hip with Matty Staff.
Once he goes Sean will probably transition to the broadcast booth for a good while.
Just my .02

~ArkyRamsFan`

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Guess I look at this a little bit differently.

I don't see it as having ANYTHING to do with McVay's coaching future. Absolutely Zero, in my opinion.

This is ALL ABOUT McVay genuinely supporting his coaches; and doing so in the most proactive ways.

He allowed Matt LaFleur to make a Lateral Move in 2018 from his Offensive Coordinator to the OC in TN because it was in substance a promotion. Rather than being the OC under an offensive-mined/experienced HC in Los Angeles, LaFleur became the OC under a defensive-mined/experienced HC in TN (Mike Vrabel).

McVay has vocally promoted his coaches throughout his time with the Rams ... coordinators for head coaching roles, and position coaches for coordinator positions.

He has allowed coordinators to take-on additional responsibilities in games that have no real meaning, with regard to results ... in the pre-season, and even in the regular season (final game last season).

Other head coaches have done these things but few have been as aggressive and consistent in their efforts.

This one is the Best Examples to Date.
McVay is taking himself off-the-sidelines. Pleasant will have control. Players and other coaches can't even look over their shoulders to see if McVay agrees with a nod or a wink. I am sure, McVay will be on the head-set in the Coaches Booth but this is new.

I can not recall another head coach who has done this under these circumstances ... EVER.
Perhaps not the first time but Man! ... THIS is Not common. I think this is a terrific thing McVay is doing.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
He did the same thing last season with LaFluer I believe it was. Prob did it years prior as well with other coaches, but my memory sucks.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
He did the same thing last season with LaFluer I believe it was. Prob did it years prior as well with other coaches, but my memory sucks.
Yes, LaFleur called the offense but wasn't McVay on the sidelines?

I can't recall a head coach taking himself off-the-sidelines before ... even in a pre-season game.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Yes, LaFleur called the offense but wasn't McVay on the sidelines?

I can't recall a head coach taking himself off-the-sidelines before ... even in a pre-season game.
But he's going to be in the coaching booth. I know it was mistakenly reported as the broadcast booth before. Seems like nothing at least in my opinion.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Chargers will be a tough game as preseason goes. Harbaugh is trying to lay down a new attitude so they're gonna come out like it's their opener.

Hope Bennett is ready for some heat. :hot:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
But he's going to be in the coaching booth. I know it was mistakenly reported as the broadcast booth before. Seems like nothing at least in my opinion.
I was building-off my much longer post above.

I think this is a big deal but not because it says anything about McVay's future.

It's a big deal because of what it says about McVay's efforts to support and promote his coaches.

I think it's great that McVay is doing this for Pleasant, and can't think of another coach taking himself off the sidelines to give an assistant this degree of attention and responsibility.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I was building-off my much longer post above.

I think this is a big deal but not because it says anything about McVay's future.

It's a big deal because of what it says about McVay's efforts to support and promote his coaches.

I think it's great that McVay is doing this for Pleasant, and can't think of another coach taking himself off the sidelines to give an assistant this degree of attention and responsibility.
I agree with you that McVay doing this is a big deal because of the opportunity given to his staff. I only used your post because you added the part of him not being on the sidelines. I feel this is just another of McVay's idea that will take the NFL coaching by storm. Just like his not playing starters in preseason games. I think you would agree that this move has nothing to do with McVay wanting to step away from coaching. Just our HC being ahead of the curve.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Good for Coach Pleasant, and good on McVay. I remember when Mike LaFleur (and I believe Raheem Morris at one point, if I'm not mistaken?) was coaching in preseason instead of McVay last year, that Shula, Henderson, and Pleasant alternated coaching duties for the defense for each preseason game. McVay has a huge coaching tree, and he genuinely believes in helping his staff succeed, no matter where they land. He's a boss I'd love to work for because he knows and believes that if you put in the work, you deserve success.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Chargers will be a tough game as preseason goes. Harbaugh is trying to lay down a new attitude so they're gonna come out like it's their opener.

Yup. If you are into betting, the Chargers in this one seem like a good bet. We know the Rams don’t care about preseason; but Harb is trying to win the room now (what’s your deal!).

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I agree with you that McVay doing this is a big deal because of the opportunity given to his staff. I only used your post because you added the part of him not being on the sidelines. I feel this is just another of McVay's idea that will take the NFL coaching by storm. Just like his not playing starters in preseason games. I think you would agree that this move has nothing to do with McVay wanting to step away from coaching. Just our HC being ahead of the curve.

Way Ahead!

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I don't think McVay gives a shit about pre-season F**k it, let someone else do it.
I'm thinking quite the contrary. I'm guessing the booth gives McVay an angle on the field he can't get from the sidelines. He may very well be looking at it as an opportunity to see things in bubble players he couldn't normally see. I think it's just another way McVay is looking for out of the box ways to get any edge he can.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception

Good Bennett needs to feel that heat as if they’re in a real game. Those reps will be good for him and gauge where his head is…

sloramfan

Starter
i think you're right ramfan503...

remember, when martz waz OC, he was up in the booth calling plays...

mcvay may be on to something, like he usually is...

go rams

slo

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm thinking quite the contrary. I'm guessing the booth gives McVay an angle on the field he can't get from the sidelines. He may very well be looking at it as an opportunity to see things in bubble players he couldn't normally see. I think it's just another way McVay is looking for out of the box ways to get any edge he can.
Isn't there film for that?