Around the NFL: Stefon Diggs reportedly has issues with Buffalo Bills’ play-calling, role in offense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I am not sure if you heard this story over the weekend, but there are signs of trouble in Buffalo with Stefon Diggs.

What is odd, he is unhappy with the offense… After a season he just had 108 receptions, 1,429 receiving yards, 11 touchdowns in 16 games.

Anyway… drama in Buffalo. This article does a good job with short description of what is going on.

Stefon Diggs reportedly has issues with Buffalo Bills’ play-calling, role in offense​

Buffalo Bills wide receiver Stefon Diggs returned to minicamp before players and coaches were dismissed until training camp. However, the issues that caused his brief departure may still remain.

After initially appearing for minicamp, Diggs left the team with head coach Sean McDermott stating he was “very concerned” about the absence. All-Pro quarterback Josh Allen immediately came to Diggs’ defense and as rumors swirled regarding the cause, Diggs took to social media.

Already one of the highest-paid NFL players, Diggs’ absence wasn’t related to his contract. The 29-year-old signed a lucrative extension in 2022 and it was made clear money wasn’t the issue. In addition, Diggs’ cap hit and the Bills’ situation ruled out the All-Pro receiver wanting a trade.

Stefon Diggs contract: $14.875 million cap hit (2023), $27.854 million cap hit (2024), $18 million salary (2025), $19.09 million salary (2026)

While the Bills’ coaching staff and Allen have spent multiple days working through a resolution with Diggs, the specific root of the problems hasn’t been known. Now, new insight has shed some light on what’s happening in Buffalo.

According to Ben Volin of The Boston Globe, Diggs’ frustration is with his role in the offense and his lack of input in the Bills’ play-calling

Diggs is coming off three consecutive seasons with 100-plus receptions and 1,200-plus receiving yards. In each of the last two campaigns in Buffalo, he scored double-digit touchdowns and combined for 2,654 receiving yards in 33 games.

Stefon Diggs stats (2022): 108 receptions, 1,429 receiving yards, 11 touchdowns in 16 games.

While Diggs had the fifth-most targets in the NFL (154) last season, his production dipped late in the year. As Allen played through an elbow injury, Diggs averaged just 63.4 receiving yards per game on 55 targets in his final seven regular-season contests.

Furthermore, per Volin, the issue traces back to the playoff loss against the Cincinnati Bengals. After Diggs got into a heated confrontation on the sideline with Allen, he stormed out of the Bills’ locker room immediately after the game and skipped voluntary workouts this offseason.

While Diggs attended mandatory minicamp, went through his physical and fulfilled his obligations to the team, issues still remained. It led to additional conversations at team headquarters this past week, which resulted in Diggs leaving the team.

Diggs’ departure from the Minnesota Vikings was both due to his lack of involvement in the offense and his growing frustration with the poor play of Kirk Cousins. While he has no issues with Allen, it’s clear the three-time Pro Bowl selection believes he should have an even larger role in the offense moving forward.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe he can call Katherine Heigl and ask her how that worked out for her?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Sean McDermott has taken that team as far as he can. That's what I have seen over the last few seasons. Hopefully they keep him for many more.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Diggs is stupid. I get that he wants to do more in the offense (he probably watches Kupp clips with envy) but you can't shit on your coordinator when he's getting results in total scoring and he has you putting up over 1400 yards.

What a fucking idiot.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Diggs is stupid. I get that he wants to do more in the offense (he probably watches Kupp clips with envy) but you can't shit on your coordinator when he's getting results in total scoring and he has you putting up over 1400 yards.

What a fucking idiot.

And… he’s BEEN getting the ball per the article; Diggs is coming off three consecutive seasons with 100-plus receptions and 1,200-plus receiving yards.

Hello GIF by Tashi Condelee

dang

Legend
Another “Me” player that can’t see how good he had it because of his inflated ego like that fuckwad down in ‘Norleans Michael Thomas.

Last edited:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
It's weird that these players want to have FO and coach input.

I'd still take him here tho. No one will care about this when he's catching tuds.

Ram65

Legend
He is talented and enjoyable to watch play.

According to Ben Volin of The Boston Globe, Diggs’ frustration is with his role in the offense and his lack of input in the Bills’ play-calling

I would like to know exactly what he thinks the Bills can do better with the play-calling.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
They need a running game beyond Allen keeping it. They've become predictable on offense.

dang

Legend
Allen sits in the pocket too long trying to be super man. They need RB/TE action that he can dump to when WR1/WR2 aren’t open. And Allen needs to quit looking for contact when he runs. He’s big. He’s bad. But he needs to play smarter.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Trying to think back if the Rams ever had any DIVA WR's. Can't remember any. I can only think of Woods, who is NOT a DIVA, going to McVay in 2021 asking to be used more. But he did have a case. And then DeSean Jackson same year. But he wasn't being used like we thought he would when they first got him so there's that. But media DIVA WR's the Rams have had none AFAIK.

Interesting how Kupp's "greatest WR season ever" caused 2 WRs on the team to go hey you aren't using me enough!