Are some getting too carried away over Evan Engram?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Engram is definitely not a good blocker so there is his big weakness.

His biggest strength is his ability to be a mismatch which is key to McVay's offense. McVay did a really good job of scheming his WRs open in many different ways, but Reed was the constant mismatch guy with his ability to beat LBs and Safeties one on one wherever he lined up. That is the key role engram potentially Engram brings to the table as well. I personally prefer Gerald Everett a little later, but I am fine with either.

Ingram is not a good blocker but he is a willing blocker. He tries and does not shy away from contact. Can he learn to block with that attitude? I think so. However he is light for blocking. I love his threat potential, but Higbee was a receiving TE in college that looks like he could pull off the Jordan Reed role. Hemingway is more of that sort and Harkey can block, but isn't all that fast. So, they could roll with what is already in place at TE.

Looking at how integral TE is in McVay's offense, it seems unlikely that the Rams stand pat at the position when they should have a good shot to get an impact TE in this draft. I think McVay's will really like Engram. That explain's my enthusiasm for him. McVay's has been talking up the need for weapons. If that isn't smoke, then TE and WR should be on the menu. Godwin, and Engram would fit the bill. I don't think Shaheen makes it to round 5, but he and a few others would be good third or fourth round picks.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I think we are just doing due diligence in trying to find the BPA at our first pick, which we have to hit on. Not picking until the 2nd round, really makes us concentrate heavily on that pick, which it appears we are doing. I'm sure that our mind set going in is that we would love to grab 1st round talent with our pick. We should be able to. Engram is compelling, if that is so important to our offense. McVay will definitely have some input on that. Wade will want to get his guy too.

I think one of the things that really hurt with an all new staff, is that they don't really know we they have, or how well developed Hemingway, or Higbee are.

If we value him as that guy, then I'm OK with it also, but put me in the other popular category, if Watt is there, I want him, for he will be a perfect fit in WP's defense.

To answer the OP, I think that a TE is a perceived need, who could fit our offense perfectly, and his consensus value/ranking fits with our draft position. If someone of higher value slips, then I don't think anyone will be upset, when we pick them.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is JMO but I really feel like George Kittle should be the guy for us. I think Higbee can play either an inline or a move TE role. I think Kittle offers the same potential. The reason I like Kittle is that there won't be pressure for him to be the weapon as a rookie. Kittle is such a good blocker that he can be used as an inline TE while we develop his receiving skills. Higbee can be used as the move TE. I liked Higbee last year. I still like him now. I think he has a lot of potential.

Kittle, likewise, has a lot of potential. He tested off the charts.(4.52 40, 38.5" VJ, 11'00" Broad, 6.78 3CD) He can be used as a blocker while he develops as a receiver. McVay is supposedly a TE whisperer. Let him do work with Kittle.

My issue with Engram is that as much as his physical tool-set excites me, he's still a toughish projection. He's not an inline TE. That means he'll end up being a big slot WR.(kind of like Aaron Hernandez) The issue with that is that he ran a very limited route tree at Ole Miss. He'll come into the NFL and be facing off against DBs. He's going to have to be able to win with route running. That might take him time. That means he may not be the instant impact player we're all hoping he'll be.

I trust McVay with a guy like him (I would not trust Fisher). If McVay says he's the guy, I'm game. But I don't think Engram fits every offense. And I don't think his projection is as easy as it could be. I like the kid, though.

In the second, I'm more tempted to go with a NFL ready, true WR.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'd rather have shasheen in the 5th....bet he can block. And looks fast as hell too.

I think I'd have a heart attack if they were to get Shaheen in the 5th round. His measurables are so good that I doubt he makes it that far, but man it would be nice. I really think the sweet spot for TE is rounds 3-4 in this draft, depending on whether they covet one of the top guys. But again I don't think it's wise to use that round 2 pick on a guy who will not be providing impact year one which is most TEs historically.

I'd get after a high impact player in round 2, one of the legit round 1 talent options who slide to us. Then from rounds 3 on look for your TE, C, WR value/need.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I think I'd have a heart attack if they were to get Shaheen in the 5th round. His measurables are so good that I doubt he makes it that far, but man it would be nice. I really think the sweet spot for TE is rounds 3-4 in this draft, depending on whether they covet one of the top guys. But again I don't think it's wise to use that round 2 pick on a guy who will not be providing impact year one which is most TEs historically.

I'd get after a high impact player in round 2, one of the legit round 1 talent options who slide to us. Then from rounds 3 on look for your TE, C, WR value/need.

There's no way Shaheen will fall that far, unless he gets arrested. He's a poor man's Jimmy Graham, in my opinion. Huge target, almost 6'7", basketball background, great catch radius, underrated speed, etc.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Kittle blew me away at the combine. I'm a big fan, after doing some research on him. This is a really deep TE draft. I can't remember one quite as deep in a long while.

Ram Pat

Rookie
Engram is definitely not a good blocker so there is his big weakness.

His biggest strength is his ability to be a mismatch which is key to McVay's offense. McVay did a really good job of scheming his WRs open in many different ways, but Reed was the constant mismatch guy with his ability to beat LBs and Safeties one on one wherever he lined up. That is the key role engram potentially Engram brings to the table as well. I personally prefer Gerald Everett a little later, but I am fine with either.
Everett hands 8 1/2" : o

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I want somebody that will come in and make the team better from day one. Don't care what position it is just need somebody who can play and isn't a project or needs coaching.
Stamp-of-Approval-Act-On-Achieves-Built-for-NetSuite-Verification-300x300.jpg

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Count me in the overhyped club. I dont even view him as a TE either, which complicates things. He rarely lined up on the line in a stance as a TE in college, and rarely stayed in to block. He was basically a slot wr

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
Count me in the overhyped club. I dont even view him as a TE either, which complicates things. He rarely lined up on the line in a stance as a TE in college, and rarely stayed in to block. He was basically a slot wr

I dont think anyone has called him a traditional TE. Hes not at his size and neither is Jordan Reed. He wont be asked to block alot cause thats not his strength. He is a willing blocker though and not as bad as people make him seem and he wasnt asked to block alot at Ole Miss. Yes hes like a big slot WR that causes mismatches. This is a new age of NFL football and isnt like the old days of just having a big blocking TE who can catch a few passes. The game has evolved to a game of mismatches and Engram brings that to this particular offense under Coach McVay. It seems Rams fans are 50/50 on Engram. Im on the bandwagon myself :D

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buaC5jlUFiA
Block_on_Demarcus_Walker.gif

giphy.gif

70f2fe_364e248072834a318741392100efc07d~mv2.gif

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dont think anyone has called him a traditional TE. Hes not at his size and neither is Jordan Reed. He wont be asked to block alot cause thats not his strength. He is a willing blocker though and not as bad as people make him seem and he wasnt asked to block alot at Ole Miss. Yes hes like a big slot WR that causes mismatches. This is a new age of NFL football and isnt like the old days of just having a big blocking TE who can catch a few passes. The game has evolved to a game of mismatches and Engram brings that to this particular offense under Coach McVay. It seems Rams fans are 50/50 on Engram. Im on the bandwagon myself :D

I'm going to fence-sit. But he's not Jordan Reed. Jordan Reed is listed at 6'2" 246. Engram won't play at 246. Reed is squattier and much more thickly built in the lower half. He's actually grown to be a serviceable inline blocker. I remember him blocking well against us a couple years ago.

Engram is a big slot WR. He's an intriguing player. I trust McVay's determination. Personally, I prefer a few pure WRs to Engram in the second. Engram's athletic gifts could make him a very effective WR, and his size/strength will definitely make him an outstanding blocking WR. The problem is that Engram played TE at Ole Miss. He never ran anything approaching a NFL route tree. He hasn't mastered some of the nuances of the WR position yet. He's still kind of raw if you look at him as a pure WR.(especially in the slot)

However, I will say that I don't at all see him as an inline TE. He'll get manhandled if you ask him to line up on the LOS and block reasonably often.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Is there any value to Engram not playing TE in year one? In other words, I've read he has the ability (speed & hands) to play slot receiver. Is it possible they look at him as a WR in year one with the idea of growing into the TE role down the road as he matures and adds weight? A two for one pick.......WR now, TE later.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is there any value to Engram not playing TE in year one? In other words, I've read he has the ability (speed & hands) to play slot receiver. Is it possible they look at him as a WR in year one with the idea of growing into the TE role down the road as he matures and adds weight? A two for one pick.......WR now, TE later.

No. If you're taking him, you're taking him as a big slot WR. You can call him a TE, but he'll be playing that Marques Colston/Aaron Hernandez role. He's just not going to ever play consistently inline. NFL edges will manhandle him. And you're not going to waste his athleticism by asking him to put on too much weight.(nor do I think he has the frame to handle 250ish pounds)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So if he could be a Marques Colston/Aaron Hernandez type of player, is there value to taking him at #37?

Yes. The question is, though, if there's a guy who could be something better.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Thanks Jrry. Always respected your opinion and the intensity with which you endeavor to keep us all informed. It's much appreciated by this Rams fan.

This seems like a draft deep in the positions we need the most. Hopefully McVay & Co can restock the roster with premium talent.

I'd love to see C, WR or TE in the first two picks.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
I'm going to fence-sit. But he's not Jordan Reed. Jordan Reed is listed at 6'2" 246. Engram won't play at 246. Reed is squattier and much more thickly built in the lower half. He's actually grown to be a serviceable inline blocker. I remember him blocking well against us a couple years ago.

Engram is a big slot WR. He's an intriguing player. I trust McVay's determination. Personally, I prefer a few pure WRs to Engram in the second. Engram's athletic gifts could make him a very effective WR, and his size/strength will definitely make him an outstanding blocking WR. The problem is that Engram played TE at Ole Miss. He never ran anything approaching a NFL route tree. He hasn't mastered some of the nuances of the WR position yet. He's still kind of raw if you look at him as a pure WR.(especially in the slot)

However, I will say that I don't at all see him as an inline TE. He'll get manhandled if you ask him to line up on the LOS and block reasonably often.

When Reed came into the league he was 236 and Engram is 234. So yeah Reed has beefed up more since then. Whos to say Engram cant beef up within a few years? They are 2 lbs difference coming into the league but ill admit Reed looks beefier coming out then Engram. Reed wasnt ever known as a blocker coming out of college either and wasnt expected to be much of a blocker but as you said he has improved since going pro. Reed might be thicker but Engram is a better athlete. None of us know if Engram can improve as an in line blocker. Its all a projection and sometimes projections dont go as planned (see Reed). In the end it will matter what McVay thinks (if Engram is even availiable ofc). I respect your analysis on the draft as I find myself agreeing with you most the time on players but I think im higher on Engram than you, buts thats ok. I certainly wouldnt mind grabbing a stud WR in the 2nd round cause I like quite a few of those guys as well. We can both agree we just want whats right for our team. :cheers:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When Reed came into the league he was 236 and Engram is 234. So yeah Reed has beefed up more since then. Whos to say Engram cant beef up within a few years?

I'm saying that. Reed had much more growth potential. Engram doesn't have the frame to support 246 pounds without it adversely affecting his athleticism. A team isn't going to ask him to do it.

They are 2 lbs difference coming into the league but ill admit Reed looks beefier coming out then Engram. Reed wasnt ever known as a blocker coming out of college either and wasnt expected to be much of a blocker but as you said he has improved since going pro. Reed might be thicker but Engram is a better athlete.

Reed was a pretty solid blocker coming out of UF. He had some technical flaws, but that's to be expect of a guy like him. UF used him a lot as an inline TE in Muschamp's (terrible) ground and pound scheme. Reed could hold his own as a blocker.

None of us know if Engram can improve as an in line blocker. Its all a projection and sometimes projections dont go as planned (see Reed). In the end it will matter what McVay thinks (if Engram is even availiable ofc). I respect your analysis on the draft as I find myself agreeing with you most the time on players but I think im higher on Engram than you, buts thats ok. I certainly wouldnt mind grabbing a stud WR in the 2nd round cause I like quite a few of those guys as well. We can both agree we just want whats right for our team. :cheers:

The point I'm making is that you should not be trying to improve Engram as an inline blocker. Use his size, strength, and athleticism in the slot. It's a better use of his skill-set.

I agree that I trust McVay's determination on Engram.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
I'm saying that. Reed had much more growth potential. Engram doesn't have the frame to support 246 pounds without it adversely affecting his athleticism. A team isn't going to ask him to do it.

Reed was a pretty solid blocker coming out of UF. He had some technical flaws, but that's to be expect of a guy like him. UF used him a lot as an inline TE in Muschamp's (terrible) ground and pound scheme. Reed could hold his own as a blocker.

The point I'm making is that you should not be trying to improve Engram as an inline blocker. Use his size, strength, and athleticism in the slot. It's a better use of his skill-set.

I agree that I trust McVay's determination on Engram.

These are valid answers. I wouldnt give up on Engram as a blocker right away as he said hes willing to put the effort into it and the couple gifs and the senior bowl practices i found shows hes capable if he wants to block. That being said, hes a passing game weapon first and foremost and thats what he should be used for. Im with you in that whatever McVay chooses I will trust in his decision wether its Engram, a WR, or hell a defensive player. Im confident we are in good hands with this new staff and I look forward to having a competent team finally. All of us as fans have the best intentions and different opinions is healthy to discuss. (y)