Are Electric Vehicles This Next Decade’s E-Book?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Eliminating jobs without supplying better ones is not wise.

If that's your argument against innovation and tech, good luck.
I can't get into more detail on your comment because politics are frowned upon in these parts, but there are alternatives being discussed on a national level on how to combat job displacement in a modernizing world as robotics & many other forms of high tech cause a never ending stream of job losses in many sectors of the labor force.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
If that's your argument against innovation and tech, good luck.
I can't get into more detail on your comment because politics are frowned upon in these parts, but there are alternatives being discussed on a national level on how to combat job displacement in a modernizing world as robotics & many other forms of high tech cause a never ending stream of job losses in many sectors of the labor force.
Talk won't do when bills need to be paid.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
The jobs do get replaced with better ones, which is why it won't get cheaper. The technology to coordinate all those autonomous vehicle will be supremely expensive and the people to manage it all and recover it when it good in the ditch are just as expensive. You're replacing cab drivers making 30ka year with tech support making from 50k (depending on the city) to 175k depending on skill set and responsibilities. And your buying more expensive cars and then a crap ton of servers and software to manage it.

So the labor replacement is there... It's just also a problem for keeping the cost low.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Well, I certainly hope they flood the market with electric cars. Demand for gas would go down and so will the price. I seriously doubt I'll be owning an electric vehicle in my lifetime. Cheaper gas would be great.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
The jobs do get replaced with better ones, which is why it won't get cheaper. The technology to coordinate all those autonomous vehicle will be supremely expensive and the people to manage it all and recover it when it good in the ditch are just as expensive. You're replacing cab drivers making 30ka year with tech support making from 50k (depending on the city) to 175k depending on skill set and responsibilities. And your buying more expensive cars and then a crap ton of servers and software to manage it.

So the labor replacement is there... It's just also a problem for keeping the cost low.
You're equating cab drivers with tech support and such support when not available or becomes "too expensive" is frequently acquired by H1B visas. Can't say more since it might be considered political.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
You're equating cab drivers with tech support and such support when not available or becomes "too expensive" is frequently acquired by H1B visas. Can't say more since it might be considered political.
I'm not equating can drivers with tech support. I said better jobs would replace the cab driver jobs. Not equal, better. That was what you said.

Better ones. Tech jobs are better than cab driving jobs. The cab
driving jobs would go away and more tech jobs would be available.

Eliminating jobs. Replacing with better jobs.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think the electric cars are cool... but they aren't gonna work for me.

My next vehicle is going to be either an F250 or F350 diesel. I'm still considering a Dodge because of the Cummins engine, but I'm leaning towards the Ford now.
Found On Road Dead? Fix Or Repair Daily?

Seriously though, I would lean toward that Cummins if you are thinking along the lines of better truck for towing. They're also more comfy to ride in.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Have you thought about going Chevy?
Ford throws my back in their seats for some odd reason.
That has been my experience as well. I always feel like I'm sitting ON a seat in a Ford. Dodge and Chevies are WAY more comfortable for MY body whether it is short or long trips. Over 30 miles in a Ford and my back is wanting to sell.

@Selassie I - you may want to see if you can rent a couple trucks and drive them for a bit before buying. Use them like you plan to use this one.

I personally hate the way Fords drive but you may want to feel like you're sitting on a cardboard seat. The fuck do I know? :tongue:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the electric cars are cool... but they aren't gonna work for me.

My next vehicle is going to be either an F250 or F350 diesel. I'm still considering a Dodge because of the Cummins engine, but I'm leaning towards the Ford now.
You a yogurt eating hippee?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Getting back on topic, they just installed like 6 stalls for Tesla recharging at the end of a small shopping parking lot in a bigger town nearby. I'm pretty sure there are no Teslas sold in this town of 25,000. I've never seen a car charging there yet, and the Tesla site says it takes about 50 minutes to fully charge your car.

Takes me about 5 minutes to charge my GMC Sierra 4x4...

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Model X Tesla goes 325 miles on a charge, and then you have to charge up for 50 minutes (perfect spacing, which is not realistic, I know} So a 650 mile trip will cost you another hour and 40 minutes, adding almost 2 hours to a long day.

Screw that, skippy.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Model X Tesla goes 325 miles on a charge, and then you have to charge up for 50 minutes (perfect spacing, which is not realistic, I know} So a 650 mile trip will cost you another hour and 40 minutes, adding almost 2 hours to a long day.

Screw that, skippy.
I'm curious about the work places where there's chargers. Indeed has one in one of it's buildings around here. Are employees supposed to fight over who gets the charger for the day when they only use it for 50 minutes or are you supposed to move your vehicle an hour after getting to work or is there a schedule of who gets it which days at what times?

It doesn't seem like a big deal now, but with the increasing numbers or dirty hipsters who won't use gasoline or diesel because they're too mainstream and some governments putting timelines on when all vehicles some must be electric (pretty sure I read some European nation did that) it will be a big deal sooner than we want it to be.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm curious about the work places where there's chargers. Indeed has one in one of it's buildings around here. Are employees supposed to fight over who gets the charger for the day when they only use it for 50 minutes or are you supposed to move your vehicle an hour after getting to work or is there a schedule of who gets it which days at what times?

It doesn't seem like a big deal now, but with the increasing numbers or dirty hipsters who won't use gasoline or diesel because they're too mainstream and some governments putting timelines on when all vehicles some must be electric (pretty sure I read some European nation did that) it will be a big deal sooner than we want it to be.
Not sure. These chargers are just for those travelling long distance across Kansas, providing a network of sorts. They are open 24 hours, I know.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
That has been my experience as well. I always feel like I'm sitting ON a seat in a Ford. Dodge and Chevies are WAY more comfortable for MY body whether it is short or long trips. Over 30 miles in a Ford and my back is wanting to sell.

@Selassie I - you may want to see if you can rent a couple trucks and drive them for a bit before buying. Use them like you plan to use this one.

I personally hate the way Fords drive but you may want to feel like you're sitting on a cardboard seat. The fuck do I know? :tongue:

A lot, imo. I've owned Ford, Dodge and GM (2004 Escalade EXT, which I have had since 2004, and just turned 78,000 miles on).
and I would never buy another Ford. The new Rams are really nice. That said, I don't know anything about GM's diesel engines.