Aquarium hood?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
I have a 55 gallon fish tank that's hood ballast just went out. So no lighting. Does anyone know where I can find a decently priced replacement it a 48" inch long hood. All I can find is in the 70+ dollar range. All I can really afford atm is in the 30-40 dollar price range lol. Any help is appreciated.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I can ask my aquarium guy for you if you tell me exactly what kind you need. I may be able to hook you up Brudda.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can ask my aquarium guy for you if you tell me exactly what kind you need. I may be able to hook you up Brudda.

I'm really not picky it's for my son's goldfish minnow ruby minnow tank(yes I know he's spoiled) I like the shimmer led provides but florescent isn't bad either.

Measuring the outside gives me 48" long by 13" wide

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I'm really not picky it's for my son's goldfish minnow ruby minnow tank(yes I know he's spoiled) I like the shimmer led provides but florescent isn't bad either.

Measuring the outside gives me 48" long by 13" wide

So it sounds like you just want to replace the whole light. If that's the case, tell me what color you need to match your tank.

If you're wanting to just fix it by replacing the ballast... I can get a price on that too.

I assume you know it's not just in need of a new bulb.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So it sounds like you just want to replace the whole light. If that's the case, tell me what color you need to match your tank.

If you're wanting to just fix it by replacing the ballast... I can get a price on that too.

I assume you know it's not just in need of a new bulb.

Yea I've replaced the lights and tried other outlets to no avail. The one we were using was for a 20 gallon tank so it was to small to begin with we just cut a hole in plexiglass and set it on that.

The tank I have is "oak" trimmed. And just wanna replace this lil one now that
It's broke with one that goes completely across

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Yea I've replaced the lights and tried other outlets to no avail. The one we were using was for a 20 gallon tank so it was to small to begin with we just cut a hole in plexiglass and set it on that.

The tank I have is "oak" trimmed. And just wanna replace this lil one now that
It's broke with one that goes completely across

Do you need the whole hood,,, or just the light?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
@Rabid Ram

Here's what my guy told me... Apparently the manufacturers are making a move to get completely away from the type of hood you are looking for. They have actually raised the prices of the old style hoods/lights you are looking for to lead customers towards the newer style lights like T5s and leds. Buying a full glass top and a T5 light is now the same basic price as buying one of those old models.

You are going to have to find a used one somewhere if you are looking to pay $40... For $100 you can upgrade. I did ask him if he happened to have a used one,,, but he didn't.

Good luck on your search.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Wouldn't it be cheaper to poke the fishes eyes out so they don't know they don't have any light anymore?

grease

I have a 55 gallon fish tank that's hood ballast just went out. So no lighting. Does anyone know where I can find a decently priced replacement it a 48" inch long hood. All I can find is in the 70+ dollar range. All I can really afford atm is in the 30-40 dollar price range lol. Any help is appreciated.

If not the bulb then try the ballast. Two types of ballast. Old style ballast doesn't have a starter. New ballast has the starter sealed inside. If it is the old style ballast you will see the end of an aluminum cylinder sticking somewhere out of the hood. It is easily removed and is a cheap fix, $1-$2. If it is the ballast then probably cheaper to replace with new ballast, $4-$10. With a new style ballast you would bypass the old starter.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
T5's, T5HO and led are great for reefs and planted tanks. They are overkill for a goldfish tank and you will end up with an algae problem.

Try homedepot. They probably have a cheap 48" shop light that will get the job done.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
T5's, T5HO and led are great for reefs and planted tanks. They are overkill for a goldfish tank and you will end up with an algae problem.

Try homedepot. They probably have a cheap 48" shop light that will get the job done.

You got yourself a tank VC ?

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
You got yourself a tank VC ?

Yes sir. I used to have several going but now I just have one planted tank running. It's a planted tank with co2 and high light. Livestock is N class Endlers and shrimp.