Any Ram Fiscal Cliffs?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
I was wondering if the Rams have any 'fiscal cliffs' in the foreseeable future? A year where we could be in serious cap trouble without cutting players or have to restructure deals. Just based on current contract structures.

Also how would resigning/extending Chris Long and James Laurinaitis effect the out years cap situation?

One more. Is there talk within the organization about making SJ39 a Rams for life? I know it's a business and sometimes difficult decisions must be made, but I think I speak for most Ram fans when I say I truly appreciate the effort and leadership he has exhibited through the tough times.

Thanks!

kdemoff

UDFA
The fiscal cliff that has me most worried is 2015 and 2016 when our young draft picks for the next few years will be coming up for contract extensions. For example, with 5 players in the top 65 picks, and we expect all to become stars, we need to begin planning now to extend all of them in 2016 and beyond. With the haul from the RGIII trade we need to plan to absorb all of our young players as they will become our nucleus for years to come.

I'm not that concerned about 2013 as we have the ability to absorb contracts for #55, #91 and #16. Thankfully, most of our roster is now on their rookie deals so we have the ability to re-sign free agents and add new free agents without harming our core of young talent. That's the advantage of being the youngest team in the league.

The way to prevent a fiscal cliff is by not pushing out salary cap charges into the future. Pay the players you can afford now and plan for today's rookies to be tomorrow's stars. If your Super Bowl window is closing you can take the alternative philosophy, but I think we can all agree our window hasn't been open and isn't closing.