Answering top offseason question: Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Agree. Wowing is not the key here. This is a very deep draft, I can see the Rams moving down to #8 with the Vikes for 2015 first rounder and a couple of additional picks this year.
A dream scenario has us trading with Cleveland then moving down again to 8. But, in reality I dont see Cleveland giving up that extra first rounder to move up a couple of spots.
If the Vikings were to give 8, their second and fourth round picks and their 1 in 2015 that is doable. The advantage (of course) to those extra picks is being able to package the extra 2 and 4 to move back into the end of the first round if you like, or trade one of the seconds down if you want to stock pile an extra 3rd or 4th. Gives a lot of options.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
A dream scenario has us trading with Cleveland then moving down again to 8. But, in reality I dont see Cleveland giving up that extra first rounder to move up a couple of spots.
If the Vikings were to give 8, their second and fourth round picks and their 1 in 2015 that is doable. The advantage (of course) to those extra picks is being able to package the extra 2 and 4 to move back into the end of the first round if you like, or trade one of the seconds down if you want to stock pile an extra 3rd or 4th. Gives a lot of options.

Yup. This makes sense to me. The Vikes have a new coach and a new stadium on the way. They also have a new GM who showed last year that he will trade up in the first round when he gave up a lot to move up and get Patterson. If Manziel is there at #2, I think the Vikes would make the trade up in a heartbeat.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
You sure? This is from 2010.

There are times Sam does lock onto receivers but that clip was an example of how effective he can be when he doesn't and boy was that a rocket into a very small window.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There are times Sam does lock onto receivers but that clip was an example of how effective he can be when he doesn't and boy was that a rocket into a very small window.
Of course he locks on. Most QBs do that when the play is designed for one guy. I agree that he tends to develop favoritism towards one receiver that proves to be the most reliable, but that kind of ended when Amendola went away. 2012 and 2013 showed that he began to see more of the field out of having no other options.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Of course he locks on. Most QBs do that when the play is designed for one guy. I agree that he tends to develop favoritism towards one receiver that proves to be the most reliable, but that kind of ended when Amendola went away. 2012 and 2013 showed that he began to see more of the field out of having no other options.

I agree 100%. I think the main issue is he had a hard time trusting other guys other than DA. Now that he's starting to get some real talent around him he's going through progressions more and spreading the ball around. That's why I think if we get a wall of an OL and can pound the rock Sam will pick people apart when we pass.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not really worried about it, and respectfully, I live in the same world as Larry Fitzgerald and Drew Brees. Just recently Brees came out publicly and said this. “Whatever I can do to help this team, if they want to come to me and extend me even further, that’d be great. Listen, there are so many possibilities as to what can happen here. Let’s just let this offseason start. It’s what, today’s the second day of it unfortunately. We all wish it wasn’t, but whatever helps this team win and puts the best team on the field.” As you can see, any player in Sams position wouldn't do the same thing. There are some who would take more years on their contract to lessen the blow now and help to add more pieces to the team instead of trying to parlay an already big contract into an even bigger one.

But like I said, if that's what he wants to do then it's a gamble. If he gets hurt again this year, any hope of an extension goes out the window.

brees makes $20m+ per year and is in the second or third year of a mega contract. why wouldn't he want to extend again for that type of money.

fitzgerald just turned salary into signing bonus. he gave the cards relief for this season. next season his cap number is $23m.

the rams could ask sam to change his salary into signing bonus but they don't want to or aren't inclined to. at least for now.

plus brees and fitz are not in sam's position. they are in a position of strength. sam is in a position of weakness.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You sure? This is from 2010.

Yeah I am pretty sure. Some plays he does it right but when he gets into his periods of not trusting his receivers he keys on the only one he trusts. He did it often with Amendola.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I can't believe anyone on this board "knows the Rams have not approached Sam about an extension" especially when it was all over the place that they were talking about it last year before he got injured. Thinking he is selfish please that is ridiculous and unfounded. How about he is unselfish because he let them not sign a big deal so he could earn what the next contract will be even after having a beginning where he was going to have career numbers. I also have a hard time with fans "worrying" about players contracts. The FO has shown they are light years ahead of the last group that stuck the Rams with terrible contracts that were back end loaded and severely unfriendly for the team as the players aged.

Being worried about the protection should be every Rams fans highest priority. Both of his injuries have been because of protection breakdowns. With Saffold missing 17 games in 3 years he is far ahead of Sam in missed time. A reasonable offer to play guard is still no guarantee he will be healthy . Jake was playing at a high level and hopefully will be fully recovered in time for preseason action.

How ever the O line is built, protecting Sam is paramount to any success the Rams will enjoy in the next 2 to 5 years. Without a dominant O line they are going NOWHERE in the NFCW let-alone playoffs.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can't believe anyone on this board "knows the Rams have not approached Sam about an extension" especially when it was all over the place that they were talking about it last year before he got injured
Technically (yeah, that's right, Sum) they didn't. Kevin Demoff said "If they came to us and wanted to do a contract extension right now, we'd do it in a minute." That was back in September of last year. They never reached out to Bradford about it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Bradford will earn an extension in 2014.

Dude is a very good QB. Just needs a healthy season to put this to rest.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Technically (yeah, that's right, Sum) they didn't. Kevin Demoff said "If they came to us and wanted to do a contract extension right now, we'd do it in a minute." That was back in September of last year. They never reached out to Bradford about it.
OK I suppose technically I have no proof they were talking so I will defer