Answering top offseason question: Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Nick Wagoner
http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/5647/answering-top-offseason-question-rams

ST. LOUIS -- Earlier this morning on ESPN Insider, they rolled out the top 50 offseason questions, including at least one related to each team.

There are plenty of questions people want answered about the Rams this offseason such as: How will they fix the offensive line? Will they get another top receiver? Will they stay in St. Louis? Can they catch up to the rest of the league's hardest division? But at the end of the day, there's one thing that always seems to rise above the rest when it comes to building a team: the quarterback.

So it was that the Rams' top offseason question asked our Ron Jaworski, quarterback expert extraordinaire, whether Sam Bradford is the long-term answer at quarterback in St. Louis.

I won't give away the farm on Jaworski's response but let's just say that Jaworski believes the 2014 season is a critical one for Bradford.

My take: Given the conversations I've had and what the Rams are saying publicly, there's no reason to think anyone but Bradford is the long term guy in the team's eyes. As we've written here multiple times, the Rams are committed to Bradford as their starter so, unless they are pulling the biggest smokescreen of all time, don't expect the team to take a quarterback in the first round of this year's draft.

However, the Rams are likely to draft a quarterback, perhaps as early as the second or third round. That's still relatively lofty territory and if the team does that, it's not out of the question that player could eventually be the long term starter while providing a better backup option in the meantime.

For Bradford, he's made it pretty clear he's willing to bet on himself and attempt to put up a big season before he would want to do a contract extension. First and foremost, he needs to stay healthy for another full season and in doing so, needs to rise to the level of performance many have expected of him since his Offensive Rookie of the Year award in 2010.

I'm not sure this is the top offseason question for the team right now because it seems to have already answered it but it certainly will be one of the most important when the actual 2014 season rolls around.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
It's a no-brainer that Bradford will be given the 2014 season to prove himself (again).

The biggest question of the off-season is: who will the Rams pick if they can't trade down from #2 in May?

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I would take Watkins ... but we all know they are not gonna take another WR high.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Very disappointing for me that that is their biggest question for the Rams this offseason. Do they have no one who actually has a clue about this team? How about looking that the stats and figuring out they need some help in the defensive backfield? How about going with the keeping Bradford healthy angle and seeing that it is the O line that counts most in his injuries and they haven't got that all figured out?

I think we do a better job here on ROD

iced

I would take Watkins ... but we all know they are not gonna take another WR high.

Not really.. For all we know Fisher might buck the trend and take a lineman...I doubt it, but it's possible.

Fisher's a defensive guy - he's gotta look at the NFC West corners, our wide receiver core, and realize we need another playmaker like Watkins

Patrick Peterson and Sherman atleast twice a year, every year..Two of the best at their position. Average talent isn't going to cut it against the cream of the crop

A55VA6

Legend
In order for the #2 pick, I want:

1. Watkins
2. Clowney

And please nobody say Jake Matthews at 2.. that's a waste of a pick imo.

ramsaddiction

Rookie
Name
Anthony
I think they have to take Clowney if they stay at 2 (and if the Texans don't take him 1). Having said that, I don't think there will be a shortage of offers to trade down. I think the goal should be to move down and acquire a 2015 first, even if it means dropping to the middle of the first round. If Bradford has another significant injury, or simply does not play well, I think you want to have the ammo to go get Mariota or Winston (if he comes out) in the 2015 draft. I believe Bradford can play well enough to earn extension, but I want to hedge. Mariota or Winston as backup plans for the future of the QB position is a lot more enticing to me than drafting Garoppolo, Mettenberger, or McCarron in the 2nd-3rd round this year.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
WHOA!!! .. wait a sec .... My mind is buzzin'!! What if .. we trade with Cleveland and get their #4 and 26 ... We get Clowney, Pryor AND Gilbert ..... I just crapped myself!

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
WHOA!!! .. wait a sec .... My mind is buzzin'!! What if .. we trade with Cleveland and get their #4 and 26 ... We get Clowney, Pryor AND Gilbert ..... I just crapped myself!
Lol, if that happened i'd be doing the Ray Lewis dance in my living room for the entirety of the 2nd round!

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

I think Cleveland is going to trade for Kirk Cousins. But I like the idea.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I think they have to take Clowney if they stay at 2 (and if the Texans don't take him 1). Having said that, I don't think there will be a shortage of offers to trade down. I think the goal should be to move down and acquire a 2015 first, even if it means dropping to the middle of the first round. If Bradford has another significant injury, or simply does not play well, I think you want to have the ammo to go get Mariota or Winston (if he comes out) in the 2015 draft. I believe Bradford can play well enough to earn extension, but I want to hedge. Mariota or Winston as backup plans for the future of the QB position is a lot more enticing to me than drafting Garoppolo, Mettenberger, or McCarron in the 2nd-3rd round this year.

This man understands risk arbitrage. +1

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I am with you on the fact that I would love to have the ammo for next yr and get either Mariota or Winston ... but, that should not preclude them from taking a QB in the 3rd or 4th rd. this year. (I like Murry or Mettenberger) as they still need to upgrade the back spot and IF Sam doesn't pan out, it would create a more even competition..... IF said scenario played out that way.... :)

Cory

UDFA

Gilbert could go as high as 10 to Detroit so I think we would have to choose between Pryor or Gilbert in your situation. Unless you see Pryor available with that last first rounder?

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Gilbert could go as high as 10 to Detroit so I think we would have to choose between Pryor or Gilbert in your situation. Unless you see Pryor available with that last first rounder?
... Uuummmm ... I'm really having a hard time right now slotting guys until after the combine... but I do think Dennard goes before Gilbert. But after all ... I was just dreaming lol

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I'll be positively shocked if the Rams don't trade down, so Clowney is little more than a trivia scenario.

I'm not sure how far down they are willing to trade, but I expect one of the picks to be a DB or LB and the other to be an OT. I don't think they are picking Watkins.