(another) Report From Demoff Luncheon

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhxRam

Posted by: LetsGoRams

First of all, it's a treat to be able to attend luncheons like that. It's great to hear first hand what's going on in the organization directly from Kevin.

1. Regarding Saffold - they are talking to his agent and talked to him at the Senior Bowl this week. He said that Saffold likes it here and wants to be here. He said that he really liked playing guard a lot more than he thought he would and thinks he can be a really good one. Rams agree. They are not going to franchise him (cost of around $10 mil) or transition tag him (cost of about $9 mil). They will offer him a fair contract and hope he decides to accept it. If his agent decides to shop him around as a 'premier' left tackle and gets an offer as one, he's probably gone. From what I heard, it sounds like we'll get something done with him at guard, which is great news.

2. Regarding the stadium / lease - no news there. I feel bad for Demoff because he has to be Stan's mouthpiece and Stan doesn't say anything. There are ongoing talks with CVC that are staying private. He said that fans shouldn't worry about the lease expiring because it's not a unique thing for a team to go year to year on leases. He mentioned both San Diego and Minnesota have been doing it for years. Oakland does it - mentioned others but can't recall who. One thing that was interesting regarding the new stadium - is that no one really can decide what they want. He did a poll in the room. He asked who wanted an outdoor stadium and half the hands went up. He asked who wanted an indoor stadium and half of the hands went up. He asked if they wanted it in the city and half the hands went up, and then half went up when he asked who wanted it in the county. So 25% want a domed stadium in the city, 25% a domed stadium in the county. 25% want an outdoor stadium in the city and 25% want an outdoor stadium in the county. I thought that was interesting. I think what they would love is to have something similar to Lucas Oil over in Indy - one that could be built close to the convention center but with a lot of upgrades to the infrastructure where they can use the stadium for more than just 10 events a year, and more than just moto-cross, monster trucks, etc. They want final fours, bowl games, big concerts, etc. He said not to expect any news for about a year. But to me, it was pretty clear that they aren't going to pump hundreds of millions into the dome to make it 'Tier 1' - but will build a new stadium at some point. Said it would hold around 61,000.

3. Upgrades to the dome include a new sound system and new and better food choices are coming this year. Better food at same or better prices is coming. Can't remember any more updates.

4. Was asked about all of the other teams fans coming to the dome - he said what most of us have said - if we win and win consistently, our fans will fill the seats and not the other teams. Said that is their responsibility to put a winning product on the field to where the fans want to come.

5. For those of you who don't know or don't believe in the Rams commitment to STL and the community - Rams have been #1 in community outreach and philanthropic activities in the league the last 2 years running. Most of this stuff doesn't get reported, but they are give more money, more time, more items, more food, more tickets than any other team in the league. Each Rams player donated on average 700 tickets to charity this year.

6. Said about half of the Rams players live here year round. Mostly the veterans. A lot of the young guys don't. They will live in apartments from say April til end of December, then usually go to where it's warm. Specifically mentioned Janoris Jenkins who trains down at this training center in Phoenix. Others train in Bradenton. Said who can blame a 22-23 year old - would you rather train in STL during the winter or in Phoenix or Bradenton. I agree.

7.. Regarding Sam - Rams are committed to him and think he has been dealt a tough hand (first few years with poor talent around him), then with the injury this year. As far as being committed long term, that was a bit iffy. They are going to draft a QB and develop him and see where they are in 2 years. They have him for 2 more under contract, then can franchise him, so they control Sam for 3 more years... We'll see what happens, but I think they liked what they saw from him before he got hurt this year. Said in a 3 game stretch before he got hurt, he was the #2 rated passer in the league over those 3 weeks.

Sorry for the long post - but just wanted to share what I heard. I was asked to attend because I completed a 'voice of the fan' survey that they sent. One thing that was really cool was that James Laurinaitis walked through the room while it was going on. He walked back to the PR room to pick up something (he was in a walking boot but Demoff said he's fine and not to worry). He stopped to thank the fans - was cool to see him. If I think of more, I'll post.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
If we can keep Saffold, that will solve so many problems and make the offseason so much easier, hope it works out that way. Also good to hear how connected they are to the STL community.

PhxRam

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
As far as being committed long term, that was a bit iffy.

I think that maybe the OP is trying to stir up some controversy.

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we can keep Saffold, that will solve so many problems and make the offseason so much easier, hope it works out that way. Also good to hear how connected they are to the STL community.

Just get it done. Give him a huge signing bonus to make him happy and keep the base salaries on the low side. Don't let him play tackle at all, just as a guard. Even if a tackle goes down. As we saw against seadderall the line wasn't better and all that happened was he predictably got injured paying the tackle position.

PhxRam

Just get it done. Give him a huge signing bonus to make him happy and keep the base salaries on the low side. Don't let him play tackle at all, just as a guard. Even if a tackle goes down. As we saw against seadderall the line wasn't better and all that happened was he predictably got injured paying the tackle position.

They need to give Saffold one of those oversized helmets like Wes Welker.

Welker reminded me of The Great Gazoo from The Flintstones with that helmet on

download (1).jpg

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron

I agree, give him a nice bonus and the rest incentive based that hinders on his health and games played would be a good idea i think. He is a beast at guard, and could easily make the pro bowl playing there solely. We can draft a back up tackle in the draft who could learn on the bench and take over LT or Rt if one goes down. Saffold needs to stay inside like you said. Was our best player on the line till he was moved outside.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disagree. Don't give Saffold a large signing bonus because it makes him difficult to cut. Give him larger base salaries with a modest signing bonus and guarantee the first 2 base salaries while adding in escalators based on snaps/games played. That way, if he stays healthy, we hold onto him and he makes the money he deserves. If he doesn't, we can cut him after Year 2 of the deal.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Wow, thank you so much for sharing! I hung onto every word. Demoff is one hell of a classy guy that gives accurate, no shady BS, information to the fans year in and out. Not to mention he's excellent with the numbers. We should franchise him... lol

I want a Dome stadium outside the city. I'm a country guy so I'd love it but love the "speed track, GSOT" feel of the dome.

Not worried about the lease. For what I hear the year to year lease is still a great deal.

Rams are great about giving back. You can see they love their fans. We do have a classy group of fans that loves to get loud. They just can't do it spontaneously lol.

Rams are approaching Sam the right way. Top 3 passer over those three games? Heck yeah! That's have of his total games! Lol

Love the news on Saffold, I think he'll stay. Players actually love playing in STL which is a great change.

Thanks again

Off Topic: I saw on another Rams board majority of the guys want Cogs back lol. That's completely differentiates from the opinions here! :D

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Saffold may stay here SO he can play guard,everyone else will want him to move back to tackle

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disagree. Don't give Saffold a large signing bonus because it makes him difficult to cut. Give him larger base salaries with a modest signing bonus and guarantee the first 2 base salaries while adding in escalators based on snaps/games played. That way, if he stays healthy, we hold onto him and he makes the money he deserves. If he doesn't, we can cut him after Year 2 of the deal.

That will make it hard to get him under the cap next season. A signing bonus of $10m over 5 years is only $2m per year. If he doesn't work out 3 years down the track it will be a $4m hit to the cap, hardly a basis not to cut him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That will make it hard to get him under the cap next season. A signing bonus of $10m over 5 years is only $2m per year. If he doesn't work out 3 years down the track it will be a $4m hit to the cap, hardly a basis not to cut him.

That's still $4 million in dead money. We can get him under the cap if we want. For example:
$35 million over 5 years(max value)
$5 million signing bonus
$14 million guaranteed
Year 1 - $3.5 million base salary(guaranteed) + $1 million SB = $4.5 million cap hit
Year 2 - $5.5 million base salary(guaranteed) + $1 million SB = $6.5 million cap hit
Year 3 - $6 million base salary + $1 million SB = $7 million cap hit
Year 4 - $6 million base salary + $1 million SB = $7 million cap hit
Year 5 - $4 million base salary + $1 million SB = $5 million cap hit
Escalators = $5 million($1 million escalator earned to base in Years 2-4 if he plays 75% of offensive snaps, $2 million escalator in Year 5 if he plays 75% of offensive snaps in Years 2-4)

That's $7 million a year which would be 7th most among Guards and 16th most among Tackles(roughly what Gosder Cherilus got paid last off-season in FA). So it's fair market value. But he has to stay healthy. And $4.5 million is very workable for us under the 2014 cap.

PhxRam

That's still $4 million in dead money. We can get him under the cap if we want. For example:
$5 million signing bonus
$14 million guaranteed
Year 1 - $3.5 million base salary(guaranteed) + $1 million SB = $4.5 million cap hit
Year 2 - $5.5 million base salary(guaranteed) + $1 million SB = $6.5 million cap hit
Escalators = $5 million($1 million escalator earned to base in Years 2-4 if he plays 75% of offensive snaps, $2 million escalator in Year 5 if he plays 75% of offensive snaps in Years 2-4)

That's $7 million a year which would be 7th most among Guards and 16th most among Tackles(roughly what Gosder Cherilus got paid last off-season in FA). So it's fair market value. But he has to stay healthy. And $4.5 million is very workable for us under the 2014 cap.

I cant really see Saffolds agent agreeing to any contract that has any incentive bonus attached to it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I cant really see Saffolds agent agreeing to any contract that has any incentive bonus attached to it.

In that case, I think I'd take a hard-line stance. Injury risks are a big thing. I'd be willing to give him fair market value and more but I'd need insurance for myself. Escalators are a way to do that.

tonyl711

Starter
if Saffold signs that opens up the draft a little, you would be able to grab a Tackle in the second or third who you could move to guard if need be and the Oline would be ok IMO. That allows you to trade #2 for the 4th or 5th pick and still be able to draft Watkins and get an extra second or third this year plus a first next year (hopefully), at #13 if we don't trade out of it too, you can grab on of the top DBs, that would leave you three picks at least in rounds 2 and 3, you grab that OT a QB and a safety with those three picks and you filled the most glaring needs on this team IMO.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
$5 million signing bonus
$14 million guaranteed

If the rams could get him to agree to something like that it would be perfect.

PhxRam

In that case, I think I'd take a hard-line stance. Injury risks are a big thing. I'd be willing to give him fair market value and more but I'd need insurance for myself. Escalators are a way to do that.

When do you think his fate will be decided? I would hope before the draft at least.

tonyl711

Starter
we will know if we still have Roger long before the draft FA starts in Feb I think, we will know where Roger is playing within the first 2 weeks of FA I would think.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
anyone ever wonder what our line would be like if we drafted Robinson signed Saffold and moved Long to guard?