Andrew Whitworth was willing to play guard if Rams traded for Trent Williams last year

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
My point is that the Rams offense declined first because of the decline of the offensive line after losing Saffold. Not sure what part of that is hard to understand.

I understood your post. Just having a little fun with people who are done with the Goff debate

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I suggest this in a thread. Though, I now wonder what we would have to give up?

We have plenty of young lineman and what they need is a pure RT. If they are not getting what they thought well Havenstein fits perfectly there. He is ok pass blocker excellent run blocker. What does Baltimore do run run run and when they do pass Havenstein is more than capable but with Jackson back there Havensteins value to Baltimore is very good. Him and whatever pick. Brown in this draft or next year's draft a top 4 pick at minimum. Fact is he plays right tackle. We also have traded with Baltimore before so here's to hoping and praying!!!

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Count me out fully on this idea my Ram bud "The Tackle". I want no part of Orlando Brown on this team.

We usually on same page but I need to ask why? What has Brown done? Is it skill? Malcontent? Or other reasons? Just curious.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
We usually on same page but I need to ask why? What has Brown done? Is it skill? Malcontent? Or other reasons? Just curious.
Good late morning payote! :fistbump::)

I see a manipulating OT in Brown he is far more RT than LT. He will not come cheap by any means either.

Rams OL unit is stuffed with RT's currently & with so little draft assets along with nothing in the Rams bank account why would you even ponder this ...you tell me? Where is the desired improvement? Rams need a future LT, not an RT.

I am a believer in Joseph Noteboom @ LT. This young OL'er is a fine person & a full team-first player. Quality over quantity all the time!

Last edited:

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Good late morning payote! :fistbump::)

I see a manipulating OT in Brown he is far more RT than LT. He will not come cheap by any means either.

Rams OL unit is stuffed with RT's currently & with so little draft assets along with nothing in the Rams bank account why would you even ponder this ...you tell me? Where is the desired improvement? Rams need a future LT, not an RT.

Good afternoon my friend.

He wants to ay LT and was an all pro at the position but the ravens have a very good LT being paid a lot of dough so he won't play RT. If big whit is ok with guard he would be an excellent LT now and for the future and our line could be a wow with Whit at guard if he ok with the move I'm sure he is more than confident he can ay guard. I know the cost supposed to be high but garafolo and I believe wyche at one point or another said ravens will not get back what they think and may settle for less. So if that is the case an all pro LT and one that can be there for Staffords future golden years lol. All in. Obviously it depends on if the media is correct. I do trust those two though. I know KC tried but the ravens would never have done that. Other teams surely trying so let's see might be a draft thing. Even if you had to give up the 57th pick those guys don't co.e often. This is opportunity because he "technically" he is a RT not like Tunsil situation. We shall see. Skill wise though he is a tremendous LT so if possible I'd be all for it depends on asking price of course.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Good afternoon my friend.

He wants to ay LT and was an all pro at the position but the ravens have a very good LT being paid a lot of dough so he won't play RT. If big whit is ok with guard he would be an excellent LT now and for the future and our line could be a wow with Whit at guard if he ok with the move I'm sure he is more than confident he can ay guard. I know the cost supposed to be high but garafolo and I believe wyche at one point or another said ravens will not get back what they think and may settle for less. So if that is the case an all pro LT and one that can be there for Staffords future golden years lol. All in. Obviously it depends on if the media is correct. I do trust those two though. I know KC tried but the ravens would never have done that. Other teams surely trying so let's see might be a draft thing. Even if you had to give up the 57th pick those guys don't co.e often. This is opportunity because he "technically" he is a RT not like Tunsil situation. We shall see. Skill wise though he is a tremendous LT so if possible I'd be all for it depends on asking price of course.
"depends on the asking price of course".

You nailed it!

Rams are in NO position to consider entering into this free-for-all. Stand Clear! The team will be in a much better position in the long run. Plus we have Andrew Whitworth under contract for 2021 & 2022!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's also obvious that our starting RT since 2015 Rob Havenstein is highly prized by the Rams Org. he is another example like OT Joseph Noteboom of being a high-quality person. Snead also invested a 3rd round selection in OT Bobby Evans who can play both sides.

In 2019 another OT the 6-6/320 plus pound ex-cancer fighter Chandler Brewer snatched on as a UDFA to end up being Ram's 6th top reliever in 2019. If the FIVE beforehand mentioned OT's were not enough there is also David Edwards who is over 6-6 & many here @ ROD think would be a better OT than OG. I have not brought up last year's prized OT who Snead constantly brags on Tremayne Anchrum yet either.

If there are any salary pennies to be spent on purchasing veterans from other NFL teams it better be a veteran corner or veteran edge rusher.

Last edited:

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
"depends on the asking price of course".

You nailed it!

Rams are in NO position to consider entering into this free-for-all. Stand Clear! The team will be in a much better position in the long run. Plus we have Andrew Whitworth under contract for 2021 & 2022!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yea if he willing to play guard that's aweso.e Stafford needs to be protected at all costs as we invested much in him. Also whit is getting up no guarantee he plays beyond this year and schedule is now 17 games it's a big ask at his age.

All that said of course cost always the key but we need to investigate lol. If the ravens aren't getting back what they think an we have any kind of shot well we need to examine and take our best shot. Havenstein means more to Ravens then he does to Rams for the offenses each team runs. So that's worth considering

I see where your at though.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
When Training Camp settles down to where OL Carberry selects Austin Corbett as the best strongest prospect to start @ OC then there will be a new starting ORG.

I would think that David Edwards could easily return to the right side where he has started as a rookie in the NFL & where he started for all his college seasons.

Now it is very important for the Rams to see where Joseph Noteboom is starting @ LT for the future of this team now that he is entering his last season under contract. If Andrew Whitworth is still open to starting LG then I would consider this matter strongly.

Two major unanswered questions lurk on Joseph Noteboom. #1-JN's (injury-prone) previous two seasons (2019/2020) beginning as a starter & then succumb to injuries both seasons. #2- Can Joseph Noteboom be a highly effective starting LT in 2021 & going into the future for our veteran QB Stafford.

Rams must make a decision on the UFA status of Joseph Noteboom in 11 months. Having Andrew Whitworth starting next to him @ LG on that left side would bring a conclusion to those very important questions.

LT- Noteboom/ Brewer
LG- Whitworth/ Anchrum
OC- Corbett/ Shelton/ Allen
RG- Edwards/ Demby
RT- Havenstein/ Evans

This would certainly increase the overall size of this interior Ram OL by a large margin over last season. This is something that many of us here in ROD have been desiring now for some time. You would field a taller, larger 7 bigger RG/ LG & OC from last season. Would provide Stafford a serious pass blocking interior OL to step up into to make those deep throws.

I’m in agreement with most, but not all of this, Bonifay.

My disagreements are few, however.

1. I’m no fan of moving Whit inside to LG. Boom ain’t no Trent Williams. I say leave Big Whit at LOT unless injured or he gets ‘veterans rest’ in a blowout. It is then, in addition to practice, that Boom must prove that he can handle LOT in the future and thereby justify an extension. I’m a Boom fan but it’s time to put up or shut up without injury in his contract year. Sorry.

2. Here’s how I then see the OL depth chart.

LT- Big Whit/ Boom/ Brewer
LG- Edwards/ Anchrum
C- One of Shelton, Anchrum, Allen, or Corbett and in that order. Have to assume Carberry is committed to one of these guys.
RG- Corbett/ Anchrum
RT- Hav/ Evans/ Brewer

Clearly, I’m a big Anchrum fan. Lol. Btw, this starting lineup would provide the least possible disruption from last year’s finishing starters, which is no small thing.

I have still not ruled out a draft day Hav trade. As you’ve pointed out so well, Rams seem loaded with RT’s and I would love to get cap savings for other moves OR a juicy player-for-player trade at a Ram position of future need.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I’m in agreement with most, but not all of this, Bonifay.

My disagreements are few, however.

1. I’m no fan of moving Whit inside to LG. Boom ain’t no Trent Williams. I say leave Big Whit at LOT unless injured or he gets ‘veterans rest’ in a blowout. It is then, in addition to practice, that Boom must prove that he can handle LOT in the future and thereby justify an extension. I’m a Boom fan but it’s time to put up or shut up without injury in his contract year. Sorry.

2. Here’s how I then see the OL depth chart.

LT- Big Whit/ Boom/ Brewer
LG- Edwards/ Anchrum
C- One of Shelton, Anchrum, Allen, or Corbett and in that order. Have to assume Carberry is committed to one of these guys.
RG- Corbett/ Anchrum
RT- Hav/ Evans/ Brewer

Clearly, I’m a big Anchrum fan. Lol. Btw, this starting lineup would provide the least possible disruption from last year’s finishing starters, which is no small thing.

I have still not ruled out a draft day Hav trade. As you’ve pointed out so well, Rams seem loaded with RT’s and I would love to get cap savings for other moves OR a juicy player-for-player trade at a Ram position of future need.
There's no real disagreement here. AW is still our starting LT & I expect that to be the case. I look at OT Noteboom as being our best OL'er outside of the main 4 (Whitworth/Edwards/Corbett/ Havenstein) @ this point in time.

The only reason for the discussion above on moving AW inside was in reference to the LG post was IF Corbett was designated the starting center. There is a strong case that that will not take place. I truly believe that Coleman Shelton or Brian Allen are the most probable starting OC prospects when the season begins.

The loss of Corbett (our starting OG 2019/2020) to the center post would not be ideal IF Corbett was replaced by Bobby Evans. I do not want Evans starting @ any OG posts & prefer he perfects his skills @ OT. IMO The sleeper here if an opening starting OG came open @ OG post, is the 6-6/320 Chandler Brewer & then the 6-1 5/8/314lbs Tremayne Anchrum.

My desired position for Whitworth/Noteboom is for them to share starting snaps @ the LT post in order to keep AW as rested & healthy as possible.....with Noteboom working on sharpening his skills backpack & earn more snaps to rest AW.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
There's no real disagreement here. AW is still our starting LT & I expect that to be the case. I look at OT Noteboom as being our best OL'er outside of the main 4 (Whitworth/Edwards/Corbett/ Havenstein) @ this point in time.

The only reason for the discussion above on moving AW inside was in reference to the LG post was IF Corbett was designated the starting center. There is a strong case that that will not take place. I truly believe that Coleman Shelton or Brian Allen are the most probable starting OC prospects when the season begins.

The loss of Corbett (our starting OG 2019/2020) to the center post would not be ideal IF Corbett was replaced by Bobby Evans. I do not want Evans starting @ any OG posts & prefer he perfects his skills @ OT. IMO The sleeper here if an opening starting OG came open @ OG post, is the 6-6/320 Chandler Brewer & then the 6-1 5/8/314lbs Tremayne Anchrum.

My desired position for Whitworth/Noteboom is for them to share starting snaps @ the LT post in order to keep AW as rested & healthy as possible.....with Noteboom working on sharpening his skills backpack & earn more snaps to rest AW.

I am 100% on board with this post, Bonifay. As usual.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have still not ruled out a draft day Hav trade. As you’ve pointed out so well, Rams seem loaded with RT’s
I agree with almost everything you said above, except for trading Havenstein. I just don't think the depth is there to trade away a decent starting tackle (think Stafford). Evans is still a question mark at RT, Big Whit is 40, Big Rob could be released next year in a cost-saving move, and Boom is in his contract year, so he might not be here next year either. This is why I'm pretty sure the Rams are going to draft a tackle this year. Or they could always move David Edwards out there, especially if Evans or Anchrum stay inside at guard. Sometimes I think the Rams over-train their guys, but who knows what this new O-line coach will do. The only safe one right now is probably Whit.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I understood your post. Just having a little fun with people who are done with the Goff debate
I’m done with it too. But I’m not done with my perspective with respect to other weaknesses in the offense the last couple of years and whether they can be fixed going into this year.

I was thrilled that we signed DeSean Jackson to stretch the field, and totally ok with letting Blythe, Reynolds and Everett walk— they were all weak links in my estimation. But improving the oline remains a key to whether the offense can perform as we hope.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
And Sullivan to be real. It was really what changed combined with Gurley declining, once the run game fell apart with those 3 pieces, and don't kid yourself Sullivan, Saffold and Gurley were awesome in the run game and especially around the goaline. Goff's passing yards didn't decline whatsoever, it was the scoring in the red zone due to the lack of run game. Of course we lost Havenstein to injury and had the 2019 season of shuffled Oline due to injury and new faces everywhere. Then 2020 it was a carryover of those 3 players missing but an improved defense and off and on injuries to Cam followed by more injuries to Goff and then Edwards in the playoff game. Evans and Blythe up front was not sufficient and paled in comparison to what Green bay had up front. Which is why we could beat Green Bay a few years ago but could not in 2020. The failure to re-sign Saffold and replace Sullivan was indeed where it fell apart.

Well stated TRam!!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Well stated TRam!!

I have questions about the truth of it all. In whole The Rams offensive line is better than it has been in the past.
—Sullivan being released & 2019 was A Joke in terms of Mcvay thinking outside the box.

—It’s called growing pains,depth & injuries.Saying why The Rams lost to GREEN BAY was on Edwards injury ??
Gurleys injury in 2019 ??

Tell me about CJ Anderson ?
Tell me about the Sullivan hold in the SuperBowl,which was his last game as a Ram.
Tell me about Aaron Donald’s last game as a Ram & say he either has a Temper problem or he is selfish.He injury was one thing,but that Personal Foul lead to putting The Game on a injured Jared Goff.

Brian Allen’s injury has been apart of Sullivan being missed.He was still having issues late in 2020.Why Mcvay didn’t let Allen& Noteboom play in the preseason was crazy.