Andrew Whitworth was willing to play guard if Rams traded for Trent Williams last year

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LOURam85

UDFA

Andrew Whitworth was willing to play guard if Rams traded for Trent Williams last year
  • By Cameron DaSilva | 3:26 pm

• The Los Angeles Rams’ offensive line was a major weakness in 2019 as the team shuffled through a number of players across every position except left tackle. Andrew Whitworth remained healthy and played at a high level when protecting Jared Goff’s blindside, but the other four spots were almost revolving doors.
    That led to the team making some changes in 2020. But before the Rams landed on their starting five, they explored the possibility of trading for All-Pro Trent Williams, who Washington was looking to deal. According to Mike Garafolo, Sean McVay “dabbled with reuniting with Trent Williams as a guard,” but Washington wound up trading him to the 49ers.

Whitworth has only played left tackle with the Rams since 2017, but he told the front office and coaching staff last year that he would move to guard in order to make room for Williams.

• “When we lost Rodger Saffold, there was an opportunity out there where Trent Williams was still getting the mill of trades and all that stuff,” he told the LA Football Podcast. “I can remember at one point being like, ‘Go trade for the guy. I’ll move to left guard, I don’t care. We would monster mash people.’”

Loading video

A pairing of Williams and Whitworth along the left side of the Rams’ offensive line would’ve been absolutely incredible. Williams is a perennial Pro Bowler, being selected eight times since 2012. Whitworth is still one of the top left tackles in football and certainly has the strength and skill set to play guard.

He remains open to playing guard if the Rams need him to, even at this point in his career.

“I was always open to that throughout my career because I always kept it in the back of my head, like, ‘All right, early in my career I did that and I’m built with the strength to be able to play in there,’” he said. “For me, that fits my game a little better than probably some tackles and edge guys. But I’ve always kept that in my head and it’s one of those things that I prepare myself mentally if that happens. And it could happen, you never know. Right now, that’s the unique thing with the depth we have. You really look at it between our guys with Joseph Noteboom, Bobby Evans, Dave Edwards, (Austin) Corbett, (Rob) Havenstein. Brian Allen has played for us and got injured but is now back healthy. You really look at it, we’ve got an opportunity to create some competition at some positions. Who knows what happens? What if Joe Noteboom all of a sudden in the next six months is the best player we have and he’s a left tackle only? Where can you go beat out somebody and play beside him?

“I’ve got to go earn the position again, and if I don’t, I want to earn another one. So it’s one of those things where that depth helps. We’re gonna be able to create some competition up front and really get to get out there and hopefully if guys stay healthy with our best five, which is going to be an experienced group, finally in Year 3 of this group being together, so I think we’re excited about that.”

Whitworth is being modest, of course, because there’s almost no chance he’ll lose his starting left tackle job. Noteboom might be the future, or it could be Evans, but Whitworth remains the team’s best offensive lineman regardless of position.

Hearing him say he’s so open to moving around as needed is great, though, and just goes to show his dedication to helping the Rams any way he can.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Whit continues to amaze me. How was I not wowed by that signing. I was too wrapped up about his age I guess. I am such and idoit. :biggrin:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love Whit. He is the most unselfish dude that I know that's played for the Rams. My only regret is that he didn't play his whole career with the team.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Whit continues to amaze me. How was I not wowed by that signing. I was too wrapped up about his age I guess. I am such and idoit. :biggrin:
Brilliant "idoit"..lol

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Please get us Orlando Brown on that note. He has not been traded things have gone quiet on him. This all but cinches it for me. Would be a huge get. As I have stayed before NFL network keeps sticking to the ravens would not get back what everyone thinks. If that's true find a way.

jjab360

Legend
What if Joe Noteboom all of a sudden in the next six months is the best player we have and he’s a left tackle only? Where can you go beat out somebody and play beside him?
Wow, the fact that he's even wondering that question is interesting. Does he actually think that highly of Noteboom that he think that's a possibility? Noteboom definitely looked solid in pass protection last year, though his run blocking could use some work imo.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
HOLY SHIT! trent and whit on the left side? Yes, you would "monster mash them up"

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
HOLY SHIT! trent and whit on the left side? Yes, you would "monster mash them up"
Williams would have been awesome but I would have been happy if we had just kept Saffold. Imo letting Saffold walk was the first big step in the decline of the Rams' offense. Oh wait-- it was all the qb's fault.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
No but your grammar and spelling needs some work. :evil:

You missed "and". You failed at your basic grammar Natzi duties. :tongue:

Please don't.

BTW-your commitment to The Site ?

I am sure is unbelievable!! So Thank You !!

TexasRam

Legend
Please get us Orlando Brown on that note. He has not been traded things have gone quiet on him. This all but cinches it for me. Would be a huge get. As I have stayed before NFL network keeps sticking to the ravens would not get back what everyone thinks. If that's true find a way.
Agreed. Or Eric Fisher.

Oline problem solved once you move Corbett to center.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Williams would have been awesome but I would have been happy if we had just kept Saffold. Imo letting Saffold walk was the first big step in the decline of the Rams' offense. Oh wait-- it was all the qb's fault.

This is it, isn't it? This is where a thread about whit moving to guard is assimilated into the goff/borg collective. Well, I'm not going to be a part of it. Resistance is not futile.........There is one question I have though, when you say Oh wait--it was all the qb's fault, what exactly do you mean? Can you be more specific, and don't leave out any details.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
This is it, isn't it? This is where a thread about whit moving to guard is assimilated into the goff/borg collective. Well, I'm not going to be a part of it. Resistance is not futile.........There is one question I have though, when you say Oh wait--it was all the qb's fault, what exactly do you mean? Can you be more specific, and don't leave out any details.

My point is that the Rams offense declined first because of the decline of the offensive line after losing Saffold. Not sure what part of that is hard to understand.

TexasRam

Legend
My point is that the Rams offense declined first because of the decline of the offensive line after losing Saffold. Not sure what part of that is hard to understand.
And Sullivan to be real. It was really what changed combined with Gurley declining, once the run game fell apart with those 3 pieces, and don't kid yourself Sullivan, Saffold and Gurley were awesome in the run game and especially around the goaline. Goff's passing yards didn't decline whatsoever, it was the scoring in the red zone due to the lack of run game. Of course we lost Havenstein to injury and had the 2019 season of shuffled Oline due to injury and new faces everywhere. Then 2020 it was a carryover of those 3 players missing but an improved defense and off and on injuries to Cam followed by more injuries to Goff and then Edwards in the playoff game. Evans and Blythe up front was not sufficient and paled in comparison to what Green bay had up front. Which is why we could beat Green Bay a few years ago but could not in 2020. The failure to re-sign Saffold and replace Sullivan was indeed where it fell apart.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
When Training Camp settles down to where OL Carberry selects Austin Corbett as the best strongest prospect to start @ OC then there will be a new starting ORG.

I would think that David Edwards could easily return to the right side where he has started as a rookie in the NFL & where he started for all his college seasons.

Now it is very important for the Rams to see where Joseph Noteboom is starting @ LT for the future of this team now that he is entering his last season under contract. If Andrew Whitworth is still open to starting LG then I would consider this matter strongly.

Two major unanswered questions lurk on Joseph Noteboom. #1-JN's (injury-prone) previous two seasons (2019/2020) beginning as a starter & then succumb to injuries both seasons. #2- Can Joseph Noteboom be a highly effective starting LT in 2021 & going into the future for our veteran QB Stafford.

Rams must make a decision on the UFA status of Joseph Noteboom in 11 months. Having Andrew Whitworth starting next to him @ LG on that left side would bring a conclusion to those very important questions.

LT- Noteboom/ Brewer
LG- Whitworth/ Anchrum
OC- Corbett/ Shelton/ Allen
RG- Edwards/ Demby
RT- Havenstein/ Evans

This would certainly increase the overall size of this interior Ram OL by a large margin over last season. This is something that many of us here in ROD have been desiring now for some time. You would field a taller, larger 7 bigger RG/ LG & OC from last season. Would provide Stafford a serious pass blocking interior OL to step up into to make those deep throws.

Last edited:

TheTackle

Starter

I suggest this in a thread. Though, I now wonder what we would have to give up?