Allen And Noteboom Could Make Or Break Rams In 2019

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NoCoNite

ILoveGoffBalls
Name
ILoveGoffBalls
hopefully Goff handles pressure consistently better this year. There are times he looks spastic when the pocket starts closing and makes bad decisions.
I think that’s why Bortles is here.
If Goff regresses and expects a bunch of money he might be gone.

I think the defense will be top 5.
We have vets that hold themselves accountable and won’t be scared to hold other players accountable.

It won’t be surprising to me to see the rebirth of Clay Matthews for a season or 6-10 games then an exciting playoff run.

There’s been plenty of teams that have been exposed in the Super Bowl and teams take that game planning into the next season.

This year will really show what kind of coach McVay is. He’s a good coach, but this year will determine if he’s a great one.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
hopefully Goff handles pressure consistently better this year. There are times he looks spastic when the pocket starts closing and makes bad decisions.

We have vets that hold themselves accountable and won’t be scared to hold other players accountable.

It won’t be surprising to me to see the rebirth of Clay Matthews for a season or 6-10 games then an exciting playoff run.

There’s been plenty of teams that have been exposed in the Super Bowl and teams take that game planning into the next season.

This year will really show what kind of coach McVay is. He’s a good coach, but this year will determine if he’s a great one.

What on earth makes you think Goff is gonna regress?

oldnotdead

Legend
WestCoast - The Rams like a lot of teams carry only 8 oline on the active 53. Teams that carry 9 usually do so because they are protecting a developing playing who projects as a near term starter. Teams like the Rams stash oline on the PS that can continue to be coached up and called upon, i.e. activated to the 53 on short notice.

IMO the front runners for the 8 active roster are:
Whitworth, Noteboom, Allen, Blythe, Havenstein, Demby, Evans, and Edwards. Normally teams keep at least 2 OTs and one OG/C on the PS. The idea being most OT's can play OG but the reverse isn't true. Please note as well, that Jamil Demby was an OT at Maine. He projects as an OG and possibly backup RT. A lot of teams and myself personally, prefer drafting OT's for oline positions. They usually are longer armed and usually have better quicker feet and generally more athletic.

MauiRam

Rookie

I think Bortles is here because Mannion proved ineffective. I have a lot more faith in Bortles than Mannion as I'm sure McVay and Snead do. Goff is a really smart guy - he knows he must speed up his reads. McVay knows there is plenty of film out there for opposing defensive coordinators to sift through, I'm sure Sean is acutely aware he must up his game/playcalling. I believe he will ..

NoCoNite

ILoveGoffBalls
Name
ILoveGoffBalls
I think Bortles is here because Mannion proved ineffective. I have a lot more faith in Bortles than Mannion as I'm sure McVay and Snead do. Goff is a really smart guy - he knows he must speed up his reads. McVay knows there is plenty of film out there for opposing defensive coordinators to sift through, I'm sure Sean is acutely aware he must up his game/playcalling. I believe he will ..
Yea I agree. He’s growing every year. He does weird things sometimes.
He doesn’t like to give up on the pass, his offense is a lot of misdirection, which tends to have pattern. Seems like pats figured that out.

Pessimistic views, but I’m really excited for this year. Even if our offense does stutter (which it shouldn’t) our defense will be able to win us ball games.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
WestCoast - The Rams like a lot of teams carry only 8 oline on the active 53. Teams that carry 9 usually do so because they are protecting a developing playing who projects as a near term starter. Teams like the Rams stash oline on the PS that can continue to be coached up and called upon, i.e. activated to the 53 on short notice.

It's also important to note that the bottom roster guys compete for the last few spots regardless of position. With the OL the top 8 are just about wrapped up, but the question of whether they stick with 8 or go with 9 comes down to the relative strength of that 9th OL vs the bottom roster WR, OLB, etc.

Last year they kept 8 OL because they wanted to keep some other guys instead of the 9th guy they had on the depth chart.

WR is a good example of a position group that can influence things for us in that way, where we have 3x very young wideout starters in their prime and a fourth young wideout in Reynolds the Rams feel is a starter. Then you have Hodge who won a roster spot based on upside (he wasn't a standout on teams really). Or Jojo who can handle returns. Plus a young rook who has looked good across many camp reports thus far in Webster.

I mean really JRey is a surplus right now but that's another conversation. But point is for those guys competing for the 9th OL spot their competition is not only their linemates but also the other positions.

mikedlo23

UDFA
Name
mike
i still don't think that the pats or anyone really figured out the offense......we can all agree on a couple of things.....when kupp was in there we were on fire.....when he got hurt.....that took away goffs security blanket and things were never the same......lets look at the games where we didn't produce....

week 14 @ chi- a few things about this game.....away game....travel....in colder temps......no kupp.....gurley i believe got hurt in the KC game (2 weeks prior)...and i think mcvay didn't want to tip his hand so much as we could have played Chicago a few weeks later in the playoffs

week 15 philly- for those who watched this game i believe our defense didn't show up....one of the more disappointing games in the mcvay era....we played like shit and sometimes that happens.....

week 16- we dominate
week 17- we dominate

playoffs vs dallas- we run all over them and this was a beauty to watch......it wasn't as close as the score said....they scored with about 3 minutes left in the game....was 30-15

playoffs @ saints- offense started off slow but in the NFC Championship game its expected to be a close one.......

superbowl- this game kills me because we played a near perfect defensive game besides a few plays in the 4th qt.......yes i believe mcvay was out-coached in this game and goff played bad....he missed some wide open WRS and EASILY could have had 17 points in this one......BUT....

i certainly don't believe teams have figured out our offense......if we have cooper kupp in the game our offense is a completely different offense......when kupp went down i think i read that on play action passes goff had a qb rating of over 105 and when he went down the qb rating on play action passes went down in the 60s .........

with kupp back.....gurley being a little limited and another dynamic weapon in henderson along with a motivated mcvay... i believe the offense can be even greater this year.....i know that Super Bowl ate at mcvay for weeks.....im excited to see how our offense starts up this year.......i don't like predictions but i see a monster year from goff (4800 yards and 35 touchdowns)

nighttrain

Legend
with kupp back.....gurley being a little limited and another dynamic weapon in henderson along with a motivated mcvay... i believe the offense can be even greater this year.....i know that Super Bowl ate at mcvay for weeks.....im excited to see how our offense starts up this year.......i don't like predictions but i see a monster year from goff (4800 yards and 35 touchdowns)
5000 for Goff
train

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I disagree the defense will be worse. The defense seemed to get better when Talib returned. Also we definitely strengthened the secondary as a whole. Our younger players have a full year under their belt so I doubt the defense is worse.

Sure anyone can say that Noteboom and Allen are one of the keys to the offense succeeding, but there is the best trio of WRs in the league a monster RB one of the 3 best in the league with strong complimentary backups and most of all strong OL/Hc coaching the offense.

Lastly it always seems no one gives Les Snead enough credit. I am sure he Komer and the scouts worked in concert to draft Allen, Noteboom and the others this year. Rams are going to be as good if not better than last year all around.

Remember Sully was liability especially in the SB so Allen should be fine.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
i still don't think that the pats or anyone really figured out the offense......we can all agree on a couple of things.....when kupp was in there we were on fire.....when he got hurt.....that took away goffs security blanket and things were never the same......lets look at the games where we didn't produce....

week 14 @ chi- a few things about this game.....away game....travel....in colder temps......no kupp.....gurley i believe got hurt in the KC game (2 weeks prior)...and i think mcvay didn't want to tip his hand so much as we could have played Chicago a few weeks later in the playoffs

week 15 philly- for those who watched this game i believe our defense didn't show up....one of the more disappointing games in the mcvay era....we played like crap and sometimes that happens.....

week 16- we dominate
week 17- we dominate

playoffs vs dallas- we run all over them and this was a beauty to watch......it wasn't as close as the score said....they scored with about 3 minutes left in the game....was 30-15

playoffs @ saints- offense started off slow but in the NFC Championship game its expected to be a close one.......

superbowl- this game kills me because we played a near perfect defensive game besides a few plays in the 4th qt.......yes i believe mcvay was out-coached in this game and goff played bad....he missed some wide open WRS and EASILY could have had 17 points in this one......BUT....

i certainly don't believe teams have figured out our offense......if we have cooper kupp in the game our offense is a completely different offense......when kupp went down i think i read that on play action passes goff had a qb rating of over 105 and when he went down the qb rating on play action passes went down in the 60s .........

I was thinking the very same thing regarding games 16 and 17.

Even in the Super Bowl, McVay was effective once he started waiting until just before 15 seconds remaining to line his offense, but at that point they really needed the time on the clock, and that really speaks to Goff adjusting to Belichick's adjustments which were coming at 15 seconds before the clock.

Goff is good, but he was clearly as reliant on McVay as the Patriots defense were on Belichick, which in fairness is probably linked to coordinators in the booths as well, which is something that every team in the NFL should be doing (along with applying statistical tendencies). That could be another reason that they picked up a veteran backup - as an option to run with a no huddle offense when necessary.

So, I guess in that light you could argue that he shouldn't expand on the offensive system so much as allow Goff to complete master the 11 personnel variations they're seeing now, but then other teams would likely game plan for Goffs tendencies.

I would rather hope that they game plan to prioritize or weight the value of other formations against different defenses and their adjustments ongoing, similar to what Wade's defense does, rather than holding back for fear of tipping your hand, because live practice just includes more variables, much like testing anything else.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Goff is good, but he was clearly as reliant on McVay as the Patriots defense were on Belichick, which in fairness is probably linked to coordinators in the booths as well, which is something that every team in the NFL should be doing (along with applying statistical tendencies). That could be another reason that they picked up a veteran backup - as an option to run with a no huddle offense when necessary.

Honestly I don't really feel like Goff's issues had as much to do with when Belichick made his calls as they did with the fact that the Patriots were sitting on everything the Rams ran, with DBs breaking on tendencies with extreme accuracy. It demonstrates how good Belichick is and how McVay should have installed a ton of new stuff just for that game to debunk what everyone knows, which is that BB will outcoach anyone if they don't have new material. And re: Goff he's just the latest QB who went into a game vs Belichick and got taught some lessons, that game reminded me a lot of the Giants vs Bills way back in the day where Jim Kelly and one of the best offenses ever got stuffed all day long and dragged into a low scoring Super Bowl that they lost. Or our own Rams in '01 with Kurt Warner looking confused and mortal for much of the game.

Also and in regards to Goff and the 15 secs and McVay... Look at the Saints NFC Championship matchup. Goff really grew up in that game and he was why we got to the Super Bowl. There was no way he could hear a damn thing in that noise, no way he was getting tips up to the 15 sec mark to help him. He got it done from his side of the ball with a lot on the line.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Honestly I don't really feel like Goff's issues had as much to do with when Belichick made his calls as they did with the fact that the Patriots were sitting on everything the Rams ran, with DBs breaking on tendencies with extreme accuracy. It demonstrates how good Belichick is and how McVay should have installed a ton of new stuff just for that game to debunk what everyone knows, which is that BB will outcoach anyone if they don't have new material. And re: Goff he's just the latest QB who went into a game vs Belichick and got taught some lessons, that game reminded me a lot of the Giants vs Bills way back in the day where Jim Kelly and one of the best offenses ever got stuffed all day long and dragged into a low scoring Super Bowl that they lost. Or our own Rams in '01 with Kurt Warner looking confused and mortal for much of the game.

Also and in regards to Goff and the 15 secs and McVay... Look at the Saints NFC Championship matchup. Goff really grew up in that game and he was why we got to the Super Bowl. There was no way he could hear a damn thing in that noise, no way he was getting tips up to the 15 sec mark to help him. He got it done from his side of the ball with a lot on the line.
I do remember that game, and being disappointed with the Bills. Kelly was really one of the best at reading defenses, so your point is well made. Belichick is just that good.

A55VA6

Legend
I think we'll be just fine with Noteboom, but I need to see more from Brian Allen. I'm not sold on him yet.. but we'll see.