"All or Nothing" featuring the LA Rams (June 30th)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I'll start this off by saying that I was a big Fisher fan.

After 5 years of him... I feel like I have a full understanding of his "offense".

Fisher's offense is very easy to sum up. It consists of 3 things... Run the ball (preferably straight up the middle), trick plays on special teams, and punting. That's it,,, and I'm not certain which one he values more.

Calling it a Middle School offense is actually a compliment. It was much much worse than that. We have been stuck in the stone ages.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So, you don't think that a second NFL training camp may result in an improved Goff?

It's just all on Fisher?
I didn't say that. The emphasis on my original post about what this season means for Fisher, makes the result the only thing that matters in judging his coaching philosophy, imo. Yes, Goff could just improve by having his first training camp in the starters role, but Fisher won't get credit for that, McVay will (and his coaching staff). I think even if Fisher was here instead of McVay, Goff would not progress like he will with McVay. MacVay was hired mainly for developing Goff as a key tool in resurrecting the Rams offense...and winning as a team.

Psycho_X

Legend
You know, the team overall came off pretty well until episode 3 when Boras is running an offensive meeting with useless trivia giving players chocolate pretzels for getting questions right such as what tattoo does Rex Ryan's wife have on her ankle.... seriously? Followed by dog day at the practice facility. Seemed like they got to 3-1 and just went completely relaxed.

Now I'm sure it's not that cut and dry but really looked bad to me at least because it was a downhill shit show from that point.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
You know, the team overall came off pretty well until episode 3 when Boras is running an offensive meeting with useless trivia giving players chocolate pretzels for getting questions right such as what tattoo does Rex Ryan's wife have on her ankle.... seriously?

He could afford to waste meeting time on trivial nonsense like that, because his offense was such a well-oiled machine at that point.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
You know, the team overall came off pretty well until episode 3 when Boras is running an offensive meeting with useless trivia giving players chocolate pretzels for getting questions right such as what tattoo does Rex Ryan's wife have on her ankle.... seriously? Followed by dog day at the practice facility. Seemed like they got to 3-1 and just went completely relaxed.

Now I'm sure it's not that cut and dry but really looked bad to me at least because it was a downhill crap show from that point.

Dog day was their day off. A little chill needs to be had there.

As for the Boras thing, that drove me crazy too. You could tell, in all the segments about him, that he's a lousy teacher. One of his last clips, on the white screen he had a presentation going, I can't remember exactly what it said, but it was like "If you do this, you succeed". And he just points at it. "That's it boys, just be talented and you'll succeed". There was actually no teaching at all. To be fair, maybe we missed all of that stuff. If that's the case, epic fail by NFL Films for making these guys look like idiots.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
As I'm binge watching this all I can say is with this coaching I have no freaking idea how we got to 4 wins. Seriously
I will just never be able to understand how we can start at 3-1, and then go 1-11! It's just unbelievable! I watched it, and saw what happened, and why! It's just unbelievable that it could happen to MY RAMS!!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
After watching a few episodes, I'm glad Gregg Williams is gone. All of that screaming and yelling gets old real quick.
Yupppp. Don't act hard. Yeah the defense played well, but the attitude that GW was projecting was contagious ie. the Donald ejection, people just don't do that unless conditioned to feel that way.
I really don't have any problem with how Williams and his Defensive Staff did things! It worked and worked well, until our Offense let them down, and every game was on the "D" to Win, and they where warn-out late in games because of how long they where on the field!
Wade Phillips will turn this "D" into a Top 5 Team with Basically the same players Williams had! JMO!!

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I really don't have any problem with how Williams and his Defensive Staff did things! It worked and worked well, until our Offense let them down, and every game was on the "D" to Win, and they where warn-out late in games because of how long they where on the field!
Wade Phillips will turn this "D" into a Top 5 Team with Basically the same players Williams had! JMO!!
Don't get me wrong, I liked Williams overall and appreciated what he did for the Rams. I just think that his style only really works if you're defense is truly elite and shutting people down on a consistent basis. I agree that the team relied heavily on the D which eventually wore them out, but there has been plenty of games where the D can't stop the offense, at least 2 games a season. It might just be a continued fatigue from having to keep them in games. And that's where my problem lies, if things weren't going the D's way they'd start implode and act out a little, players start to get "chippy" and/or ejections happen. scuffle against the Giants/Bears/Seahawks/Panthers, AD getting ejected, Joyner getting ejected in preseason, unnecessary penalties. I think has to do with Williams and his style. Screaming and yelling and "we're going to defend every blade of grass" works but when it doesn't work it backfires. I agree with you on Phillips, which says something about the difference in coaches and their styles. Happy 4th.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...n-of-jeff-fishers-firing-from-all-or-nothing/

NFL Films producer explains omission of Jeff Fisher’s firing from All or Nothing
Posted by Mike Florio on July 5, 2017

c8u1jlwuiaicpwb-e1499263606800.jpg
Getty Images

When it comes to the firing of Rams coach Jeff Fisher and its aftermath, the second season of All or Nothing was closer to all than nothing. Still, as to the actual firing of Fisher, we got nothing.

NFL Films coordinating producer Keith Cossrow recently explained the omission of the actual Fisher firing from the eight-hour extravaganza.

“I think anyone who understands the nature of documentary filmmaking knows that it’s impossible to capture everything,” Cossrow told Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times. “You can have 10 cameras rolling 24/7 and you would still miss a thousand important moments. That’s just the nature of the beast.

So I think the fact that [director] Shannon [Furman] and the crew were able to capture so much of what happened the day Coach Fisher was fired, and that no one ever told us to turn off the cameras once they were rolling, is an extraordinary achievement and a testament to the job they did in the field building trust with the team.”

It would have been obvious, however, if the cameras had turned off during the various meetings that happened as Fisher revealed his fate to coaches and players, and after Fisher made his exit. And people like me would now be pointing out that the Rams/NFL had restricted the process of capturing the tense, emotional, and chaotic moments that occur as a coach makes an unexpected exit.

So it’s hard to give the Rams and the league credit for not avoiding one of the obvious potential consequences of having cameras and microphones present for a full football season. And it’s even harder to simply shrug at the failure of the show to catch the defining moment of the season by saying “it’s impossible to capture everything.”

Indeed, inherent limitations to the filming process madeit impossible to capture the firing of Fisher.

“We don’t have cameras in the coach’s office at all, and that’s one difference between Hard Knocks and All or Nothing,” Cossrow said. “After the Falcons game, Coach Fisher and [assistant head coach Dave McGinnis] were together on Monday morning, prepping for the Seattle game.

They were in Coach Fisher’s office. I touched base with Coach Fisher, and then left to grab a smoothie for breakfast. I got a phone call from my production assistant who works the robotics cameras, and he asked, ‘How far away are you?’ I said, ‘I can be there in three minutes.’ He said, ‘Coach just told the staff he was fired.'”

In other words, if they’d had cameras in the coach’s office during All or Nothing — cameras that routinely document the firing of players during Hard Knocks — we may have seen the Fisher firing or, at a minimum, the moment when he got word to go to someone else’s office to get the news.

And if the trust built with the Rams was truly significant, Kevin Demoff or someone else in upper management would have tipped someone off to the looming termination, allowing them to plan for covering it properly, up to and including lobbying to have a camera in the room where the firing took place.

As a result, the moment wasn’t expressly censored during or after the fact. The infrastructure of the show essentially pre-censored it.

Of course, that explanation doesn’t account for the failure of the show to mention that Fisher’s contract extension, which apparently had been signed months earlier and deliberately concealed from the public, was leaked and then announced not long before he was fired.

Likewise, Cossrow’s explanation doesn’t address for the absence of any mention of the reports of internal dysfunction that emerged days before Fisher was fired or his subsequent vow to find the leaker.

None of this changes the fact that All or Nothing was, all in all, entertaining most of the time and flat-out compelling in certain key spots. But it could have been better. If enough people point that out this time around, maybe the next time they do the show it will be.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I give up...
Can anyone view Amazon video on IOs enabled devices?? I have no issue viewing any content on any ipad/iphone/apple TV device I own but this Amazon is crap. Cant view on data, only wifi and if the signal isn't completely off the charts top level, it wont stream. And forget trying to air drop to Apple TV.
So after all this nonsense, I have to watch on my phone? What a joke.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Seems like we got confirmation that Fisher was indeed micromanaging the offense. "Let's open it up." "Let's take a shot."

The offense was 100% the reason he was fired. I wonder if it was an ego thing-- not hiring an experienced coordinator & letting him have full control over the offense.

I think that's why it's so refreshing that McVay hired Phillips.

I was going to start a thread about this very thing, but I wondered how many care to talk about the next step for FISH. I believe that if McVay's coaching of Jared Goff and the Rams Offense in general results in more wins (especially more than 6 wins), will this be an indictment of Fisher's coaching style? I think it would be, solidifying the idea that his run first, smashmouth football approach is no longer viable in the NFL. At least with the Titans, the guy had a 10 win season after 3 years of mediocre losing football. Not anymore.

I think he might get a job in NFL front offices maybe?

You know, going back to his window of success with the Titans, when he had a good OC in Heimerdinger and a good offensive line, I doubt he was that restrictive in allowing them to take shots. Question in my mind is whether he got to that point based on knowing his OC was in over his head, or whether he was just like that period. I mean I think I recall Vermiel doing something similar, saying "let's take a shot" or some such, but not sure if I'm remembering correctly. I also suspect that's pretty common for head coaches to suggest that kind of thing from time to time during games.

Either way though, it all falls on Fish. I don't think I've ever seen three OC hires in a row that bad for a coach who lasts as long as he did. And it's also amazing that this team started with three wins in the first four games too, given how terrible the line and offense was.

Strangely enough, this series has given me a lift. It reminds me how close this team was to opening the season with a very good record, in spite of an epically bad offense. And irt Fisher getting another shot elsewhere, I doubt it is going to happen but you never know. And if so I would hope he pulls his head out his @$$ and hires a real OC for whatever tortured fan base he'll be coaching for. Because the bottom line is you're only as good as the people who work for you, and in his case I do think he could win again in this league if he could set his ego aside and get a real offensive mind on his staff to run things.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...n-of-jeff-fishers-firing-from-all-or-nothing/

NFL Films producer explains omission of Jeff Fisher’s firing from All or Nothing
Posted by Mike Florio on July 5, 2017

c8u1jlwuiaicpwb-e1499263606800.jpg
Getty Images

When it comes to the firing of Rams coach Jeff Fisher and its aftermath, the second season of All or Nothing was closer to all than nothing. Still, as to the actual firing of Fisher, we got nothing.

NFL Films coordinating producer Keith Cossrow recently explained the omission of the actual Fisher firing from the eight-hour extravaganza.

“I think anyone who understands the nature of documentary filmmaking knows that it’s impossible to capture everything,” Cossrow told Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times. “You can have 10 cameras rolling 24/7 and you would still miss a thousand important moments. That’s just the nature of the beast.

So I think the fact that [director] Shannon [Furman] and the crew were able to capture so much of what happened the day Coach Fisher was fired, and that no one ever told us to turn off the cameras once they were rolling, is an extraordinary achievement and a testament to the job they did in the field building trust with the team.”

It would have been obvious, however, if the cameras had turned off during the various meetings that happened as Fisher revealed his fate to coaches and players, and after Fisher made his exit. And people like me would now be pointing out that the Rams/NFL had restricted the process of capturing the tense, emotional, and chaotic moments that occur as a coach makes an unexpected exit.

So it’s hard to give the Rams and the league credit for not avoiding one of the obvious potential consequences of having cameras and microphones present for a full football season. And it’s even harder to simply shrug at the failure of the show to catch the defining moment of the season by saying “it’s impossible to capture everything.”

Indeed, inherent limitations to the filming process madeit impossible to capture the firing of Fisher.

“We don’t have cameras in the coach’s office at all, and that’s one difference between Hard Knocks and All or Nothing,” Cossrow said. “After the Falcons game, Coach Fisher and [assistant head coach Dave McGinnis] were together on Monday morning, prepping for the Seattle game.

They were in Coach Fisher’s office. I touched base with Coach Fisher, and then left to grab a smoothie for breakfast. I got a phone call from my production assistant who works the robotics cameras, and he asked, ‘How far away are you?’ I said, ‘I can be there in three minutes.’ He said, ‘Coach just told the staff he was fired.'”

In other words, if they’d had cameras in the coach’s office during All or Nothing — cameras that routinely document the firing of players during Hard Knocks — we may have seen the Fisher firing or, at a minimum, the moment when he got word to go to someone else’s office to get the news.

And if the trust built with the Rams was truly significant, Kevin Demoff or someone else in upper management would have tipped someone off to the looming termination, allowing them to plan for covering it properly, up to and including lobbying to have a camera in the room where the firing took place.

As a result, the moment wasn’t expressly censored during or after the fact. The infrastructure of the show essentially pre-censored it.

Of course, that explanation doesn’t account for the failure of the show to mention that Fisher’s contract extension, which apparently had been signed months earlier and deliberately concealed from the public, was leaked and then announced not long before he was fired.

Likewise, Cossrow’s explanation doesn’t address for the absence of any mention of the reports of internal dysfunction that emerged days before Fisher was fired or his subsequent vow to find the leaker.

None of this changes the fact that All or Nothing was, all in all, entertaining most of the time and flat-out compelling in certain key spots. But it could have been better. If enough people point that out this time around, maybe the next time they do the show it will be.

Jeez, Florio....it was gut-wrenching enough to watch WITHOUT the footage of Fisher actually being handed his pink slip.

This is his second PFT post since Friday, whining about the firing being omitted. Hang in there, Florio -- maybe they'll release a Director's Cut, just to shut you up.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I liked hearing "if camp is any indication, we hit on all of our free agents."

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One other thing that is mentioned above that I like about "All or Nothing" is that the pieces are assembled after the season, which does allow for less club censoring of things as opposed to the Hard Knocks coverage of camp where they're worried about season impact. Not to mention Fish being out, as all of a sudden they don't have to worry about him vetting things too.

And re: Florio's suggestion of seeing the executive side... That needs to happen. Mic up the GM and owner meetings as well and give them some ability to censor certain comments where they might say what they're really thinking. It would have been even better with that, seeing the hand wringing that you know was there in Demoff's office leading up to it, not to mention Les squirming on the hot seat.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just finished binge watching and gotta say I totally enjoyed

It's weird going back over that dumpster fire of a season and it shows how close we were to having a better record but also how close we were to having an even worse record a couple of plays not made by the D and we would could have been sitting at 1-15

I tried to pinpoint what game it all imploded and it's hard to figure out but I think that Carolina game we left 2 tds on the field and when Hendricks scuffed that td it was all over

In saying that I freaking love McKay that clip at the end where is firing off all the terminology of concepts and routes and 10 yard bursts after the catch in all the footage they caught at training with the Fisher staff you heard nine if that and I think that may be the difference boys 8 wins and 8 close losses and I'll be one happy rams fan this year

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Fisher then gathers the defense together and to communicate the message directly to the players.

“The referee told me to talk to you guys,” Fisher says. Then he pauses, and a look of wide-eyed mischief emerges on his face.

“Crank it up even more.”

The players explode with approval. Fisher then tells them to watch their language, explaining that the referees primarily are listening for profanity and taunts.
This is why Fisher players....love him...If only Fish knew people that know 2017 offense.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is why Fisher players....love him...If only Fish knew people that know 2017 offense.

Yeah I'd still buy the dude a beer if I ran into him at the bar and talk some ball with him. I still respect him, and think he's got a lot of good qualities you want; he's got the leadership side of things down. I wish him well too even though his snarky comment about wanting to play the Rams got under my skin a bit.