All In?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Ok so the Rams went all in. They won the Super Bowl at SoFi then suffered an injury riddled season last season. Then they had to get through salary cap deficits this season. But McSnead did an amazing job to go 10-7 and had a chance to advance in the playoffs, losing by one point to the Lions. IMO, this might have been McVay's best coaching job.

The whiners basically went all in this season and they've got some credit card bills to pay next season, which will start to close that window when Joe Montana (cough cough), Uhm, Brock Purdy needs to be paid more than minimum wage,

This is a happy day in Ram's country.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok so the Rams went all in. They won the Super Bowl at SoFi then suffered an injury riddled season last season. Then they had to get through salary cap deficits this season. But McSnead did an amazing job to go 10-7 and had a chance to advance in the playoffs, losing by one point to the Lions. IMO, this might have been McVay's best coaching job.

The whiners basically went all in this season and they've got some credit card bills to pay next season, which will start to close that window when Joe Montana (cough cough), Uhm, Brock Purdy needs to be paid more than minimum wage,

This is a happy day in Ram's country.
I wonder if they pay Purdy. He's smart and a capable QB but the arm strength is missing.

Turducken

Starter
Their window is still open next season (subject to the SB hangover). Purdy can't be extended until after next season. I can't imagine they don't do it. He's a good QB with a long runway for improvement.

But he doesn't have the tools to be truly elite. That's true of most starting QB's. You don't have to have an elite QB to win a SB (Foles, Flacco) but it doesn't happen very often.

I predict another decade of frustration for niners fans.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Their window is still open next season (subject to the SB hangover). Purdy can't be extended until after next season. I can't imagine they don't do it. He's a good QB with a long runway for improvement.

But he doesn't have the tools to be truly elite. That's true of most starting QB's. You don't have to have an elite QB to win a SB (Foles, Flacco) but it doesn't happen very often.

I highly doubt that the Rams lose both matchups with the whiners next season.

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
It just goes to show that those who think that what the Rams did in 2021 was easy don't have a clue.

If going "all in" was so straightforward, everyone would do it.

oldnotdead

Legend
The Niners have a top heavy roster and I believe they are at least $3M in the red right now. Factor in 11 draft picks and they are probably close $7-$8M in the hole just to break even. plus teams need at least $5M in free cap at the beginning of the season. The window for their current roster is closed. Changes are coming.

Their LT Trent Williams is 36 years old with a cap hit in 2024 of $36.5M with a $30M dead cap. They have about 11 players with cap hits this coming season of over $9.5M with many over $20M. That isn't sustainable and it got them 2nd place. You have to wonder how safe Shanny's job is. He got out coached again. He makes probably about $14M to fail when it matters most with a top heavy roster built to get multiple Lombardi trophies.

Changes in their coaching staff and roster IMO would be reasonable to expect. Kyle has been in SF since 2017 and has gotten to the championship game at least 4 maybe 5 times with two SB appearances losing both. He had the roster, so that isn't the excuse. This was a coaching failure plain and simple. The Yorks can't be happy. They can always trade him to the AFC LOL.

I love it when the Yorks are unhappy. They simply have to look at LA with more being done with less.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame

Purdy did well on the 9ers bread and butter: short and intermediate rhythm passes, screens. He missed on a couple of deep balls. He looked like Jared Goff without the arm strength. And that’s not an insult to either of them

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Purdy did well on the 9ers bread and butter: short and intermediate rhythm passes, screens. He missed on a couple of deep balls. He looked like Jared Goff without the arm strength. And that’s not an insult to either of them
I agree with most of what you said here but Purdy seems to be a little better when under pressure.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Purdy is a good game manager on a team with talent and good game planning. He missed some passes (under pressure) last night. KC contained his scrambling. Pressure him smartly and he's not going to beat you. Even with a loaded roster.

Only 1 starter on offense and 3 on defense aren't under contract for 2024. And they'll get Hufanga back to take one of those spots on D. So they still have 1 year of window left. Too bad they played halfway into February for nothing. That hangover is gonna be something. And there will be some financial decisions to be made.

KA210927

Rookie
Name
Kevin
I would love if the Rams somehow went “all in” and got Chris Jones in FA to put on the DL with AD for a year or two and go for another chip. Then when AD retires Chris Jones can be a cornerstone on defense for 4+ more years.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I would love if the Rams somehow went “all in” and got Chris Jones in FA to put on the DL with AD for a year or two and go for another chip. Then when AD retires Chris Jones can be a cornerstone on defense for 4+ more years.

Man, Chris Jones, AD, and Kobie on the same DL ... that's just not fair!!!

:laugh4::laugh3:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

Or just get Jer'Zhan Newton. Kid definitely gives me AD vibes. Imagine that kid learning under AD for a year.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Ratboy has had only 2 seasons where his starting QB stayed healthy for most or all of the season. And he lost the Super Bowl both times. History says Purdy will not make it through next season healthy and their window will slam shut.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Ratboy has had only 2 seasons where his starting QB stayed healthy for most or all of the season. And he lost the Super Bowl both times. History says Purdy will not make it through next season healthy and their window will slam shut.
I believe Purdy will take a huge step next year and believe he can do special things. As a result, he has a bad season, is benched by December and becomes Mr. Irrelevant again.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
If the Niners had JG they definitely would've won.

methomas50

Rookie
IDK that Purdy is good enough to get over the last hurdle. I believe he is a top 15 QB. When teams get deep in the playoffs you have to have the guy that can put the team on his back and will the team to victory. I have doubts about that. I am also not sure this was not the 9ers best chance to win and may decline.

oldnotdead

Legend
This game wasn't lost by Purdy. In overtime Shanahan became one dimensional in the red zone and took the ball out of Purdy's hand. Even then the game wasn't lost. But the vaunted Niner D couldn't get one stop to seal the deal. Coaching on both sides of the Niner ball, failed and that's what lost that game. The Niners got out coached as KC adjusted in the second half and that is when the Niners lost the game. They went into half time up by 7 and didn't score in the 3rd quarter.

Purdy did his job going 23/38 for 255 with 1TD and no INTs. They had a bit over 100 yds on the ground. They got out coached at critical moments on both offense and defense. Purdy played well enough to win. Hell even the defense sacked Mahomes 3 times and got an INT as well. Again good enough to win but when it counted most the D failed to get crucial stops.

Shanahan plays passing to open the run game up. He assumes he can control the game flow with his run game. Take him out of that mode and he struggles with his calls. He has a QB in Purdy who is better than most starters. But Shanahan rarely plays him that way. This is why McCaffery is such a huge part of Shanahan's offense. Christain accounted for about 160 yds of offense (run & pass). But they still lost.

They lost because Shanahan got out coached and he made some bad decisions. This loss sits squarely on his shoulders. So what makes people think they are a shoo-in to return to the SB next year? IMO they are going to lose at least 2 of their high priced players. If they couldn't win a Lombardi this past season what makes people think they can in the next SB? This defense has been exposed. They have to blitz to get pressure against a good OL.

They beat a green Ram roster by only 7 points. This is a completely different team now. They are seasoned with an improved offensive scheme. If the defense under Shula can improve to say a top 15 unit they will be a tough team to beat. They are looking to fill holes at PK (though Maher might improve enough to keep the job), QB1 (of the future), CB, OT, WR and perhaps at edge though IMO that is TBD as they have options.

At RB, CB, LB, safety, OL (especially OT) they are drafting for depth. This roster is mostly built and now they have one year of seasoning. Time to make a SB run.

One more draft as good as last year's and this will be a deep roster that will fill future vacancies.