Albright on Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
I'm not a draftnit guy that does a ton of research. But everything I've seen of Peat. He seems soft. Good PB but just doesn't have the mean streak that fisher likes. Watching him at the combine, he is built so damn weird. He has fat guy legs and arms with an average guys midsection. Makes me wonder if he will have weight issues down the road. Nothing to back that thought, it was just a reaction I had. Again, I don't research this stuff, I depend on others and I can be way off. Truth is, I'm gonna be pissed if we draft an OL in the 1st. But what do I know lol

Yeah, I agree with you...Although Peat is only 21. So he has time to muscle up...My biggest concern?

Does Peat love playing football? I can't answer that question with game tape. Only interviews, detective work, and due diligence studying Peat's personality tendencies can answer my question.

But hey Flowers is only 20 years old. Scherff is 23. Imagine what kind of player Scherff was 3 years ago? And I know Scherff will play guard.

We all want to win NOW, but Snead has factor in the Future. Two years, three years, four years from NOW.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yeah, I agree with you...Although Peat is only 21. So he has time to muscle up...My biggest concern?

Does Peat love playing football? I can't answer that question with game tape. Only interviews, detective work, and due diligence studying Peat's personality tendencies can answer my question.

But hey Flowers is only 20 years old. Scherff is 23. Imagine what kind of player Scherff was 3 years ago? And I know Scherff will play guard.

We all want to win NOW, but Snead has factor in the Future. Two years, three years, four years from NOW.

And you are hitting on the reports that Flowers is a true blue all out 'Football Player'. Maybe the coaches are not getting that warm fuzzy feeling from Peat. I know it would sway my thinking a bit. If Flowers loves football so much it would make me think he is willing to work as hard as anyone to improve his game. If Peat is thinking about life after football already, then I would have my doubts.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Scherff is the guy I want, or move down for Erving. I was a Collins guy but the murder stuff has me a tad scared. I wouldn't even mind moving down multiple times amassing a ton of second round picks and picking multiple linemen. Shotgun theory.

If the line is the direction they are going in the 1st round, then I completely agree with all your points. Perfect world would be the trade down and getting Erving IMO.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Peat is better than Flowers and Scherff by a pretty big margin, imo. Just as much upside as either one of them, but a much higher floor as well.

Respect your opinion to rate Peat higher but to say its a big margin seems like a stretch. Each has their own strengths and weakness, but I don't think there is a large gap regardless of who you prefer.

Athos

Legend
Looks like Rams are drafting for need instead of BPA this year.

I'm resigning myself to disappointment lol. The Rams have drafted, I think, only 2 players I've REALLY wanted since 2010.

EJ Gaines and Aaron Donald.

jjab360

Legend
Respect your opinion to rate Peat higher but to say its a big margin seems like a stretch. Each has their own strengths and weakness, but I don't think there is a large gap regardless of who you prefer.
Maybe, but I just don't see what the media sees in Flowers and Scherff, they look like late 1st/2nd round draft prospects to me. I came away way more impressed with Collins and T.J. Clemmings, tbh.

V3

Hall of Fame
Hopefully, BPA will feel a need.
It's a good draft to need olinemen.
Perhaps. I'll wait to see what's available. I've just heard from too many NFL people that many times, knowingly or not, teams will "magically" have their BPA at their position of need- that is, they'll inflate players of need up their board.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Because I think your opinion is wrong. I think the three are not separated by a wide margin, I think they are close together and, if all are available, the decision as to which to select would be based more on what you plan for the player to do than on some absolute best player scale.

If I was drafting my LOT for the future, I'd take Peat.
If I believe I have my LOT for the future and wanted a bookend ROT, I'd take Flowers.
If I have both my tackles and I want a top notch OG who can cover OT in a pinch, I take Scherff.

I can agree with everything but #2. I'm not taking Flowers, period. Jjab is right. His technique is just too poor.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I can agree with everything but #2. I'm not taking Flowers, period. Jjab is right. His technique is just too poor.
In the coaching arena, a big saying is that you can't teach size, speed, and desire.

You can teach technique.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I'm not a draftnit guy that does a ton of research. But everything I've seen of Peat. He seems soft. Good PB but just doesn't have the mean streak that fisher likes. Watching him at the combine, he is built so damn weird. He has fat guy legs and arms with an average guys midsection. Makes me wonder if he will have weight issues down the road. Nothing to back that thought, it was just a reaction I had. Again, I don't research this stuff, I depend on others and I can be way off. Truth is, I'm gonna be pissed if we draft an OL in the 1st. But what do I know lol

His body shape is really weird - that says his lower half is huge. Don't think many people will push him back in a straight up match up but I bet he'll have loads of trouble with the little guys that get up under his helmet at the next level. One of the strength's people talk about with him is his ability to play with leverage - and with a body shape like he's got it better be.

I'm with FRO on this I think. Scherff or trade down to get Erving - unless of course there is a shock and one of the stud WR's falls to 10.

jjab360

Legend
His body shape is really weird - that says his lower half is huge. Don't think many people will push him back in a straight up match up but I bet he'll have loads of trouble with the little guys that get up under his helmet at the next level. One of the strength's people talk about with him is his ability to play with leverage - and with a body shape like he's got it better be.

I'm with FRO on this I think. Scherff or trade down to get Erving - unless of course there is a shock and one of the stud WR's falls to 10.
I don't see why that's a negative.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I don't see why that's a negative.

Maybe not. He looks like he's got a low center of gravity and is anchored to the ground. I'm not an offensive line guru or scout so I don't know how beneficial it is. I just thought he looks like he'll struggle a bit with shorter, squat, powerful guys (like Aaron Donald for example) who use leverage to get up under his helmet chinstrap.

Additionally, seeing him at the combine in gym shorts he just looked kind of weird. Like the "Big Tuna" Bill Parcells body shape!

jjab360

Legend
Maybe not. He looks like he's got a low center of gravity and is anchored to the ground. I'm not an offensive line guru or scout so I don't know how beneficial it is. I just thought he looks like he'll struggle a bit with shorter, squat, powerful guys (like Aaron Donald for example) who use leverage to get up under his helmet chinstrap.
Seems like it would be the opposite to me. Those top heavy guys seem like they would be the ones to struggle against leverage. Ever hear Mayock raving about "bubble butts"? No, it's not because he's a huge fan of twerking, it's because there's a big physical advantage to having a strong base and a powerful lower body.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Im not a big fan of Peat or Flowers, Id rather Draft Collins as I think he is the best lineman in the draft, Id also take Scherff and probably Erving over Peat or Flowers.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Seems like it would be the opposite to me. Those top heavy guys seem like they would be the ones to struggle against leverage. Ever hear Mayock raving about "bubble butts"? No, it's not because he's a huge fan of twerking, it's because there's a big physical advantage to having a strong base and a powerful lower body.

I think your probably right to be honest. Peat plays with leverage and he's a big man so yeah I can get behind him if he's the pick.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Peat has the perfect body type for an OT - what he lacks (in my opinion) is the desire. He plays passively out there - and this is the NFC West. We need the nasty.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In the coaching arena, a big saying is that you can't teach size, speed, and desire.

You can teach technique.

And then you go back over all the busts and you realize that sort of arrogance is exactly what gets you in hot water. There are a lot of things you can teach and a lot of things you can't teach. But it's not as simple as you can teach technique. Some players just don't get "it". When a guy is a junior in college at a major university and has the sort of technique you'd expect from a high school kid, it makes it fairly hard to believe that he'll suddenly get it in the NFL.

I'm sorry but it's hard for me to believe that Flowers is going to get it. The guy doesn't use his hands. He doesn't understand how to punch or even where to hold his arms/hands. His kick-slide and pass sets are poor. His feet look uncoordinated. And about the best example of a waist bender that you can find.

I'm not betting on him learning technique. If there were some minor technical flaws or even a major one with a few minor ones, I'd be okay with taking a shot at him. Because that would indicate he can learn but just hasn't gotten there yet. That's not Flowers. His game is riddled with major technical flaws.

How do you overlook that?

And even getting past that, I think that statement is just plain bad on its face. It's why teams overdraft physical talent every year and why we continue to have 40% to 45% of first rounders end up as busts.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion

Additionally, seeing him at the combine in gym shorts he just looked kind of weird. Like the "Big Tuna" Bill Parcells body shape!
Low center of gravity and is actually a huge advantage to a linemen. Ever heard "Lowest man wins"?

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion

You can teach technique.
I actually learned a somewhat different saying. Something like technique beats size and speed. I agree that desire wins out over the others though.