Alaric Jackson Looks Like Real Deal

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
In fairness I really don't see anything the Evans does well besides being able to stay healthy. I will give him that.
When he first got playing time he was an effective run blocker....that was also when McVay was interested in running the ball, unlike now.
Staying healthy is an important skill to have I suppose, haha.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Skura bumped Kolone back to the practice squad just before the 49'er game, so he likely knows the 'calls' now.
Then please explain to me why this solid way above average offensive lineman scurrah has not bumped Evans to the bench?

It's obviously really bothering me.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Then please explain to me why this solid way above average offensive lineman scurrah has not bumped Evans to the bench?

I don't know if he's 'way above average' as he was stolen by us off of a practice squad, although he does have plenty of valuable experience at Center and less so as an OG. I assume the powers that be were more concerned with exiting Kolone & getting Skura familiar with the line calls asap. Whether he could have done it as quickly while replacing Evans at LG is debatable. Either way, McBerry sees far more in Evans for some reason than us fans, so I'm not yet seeing an end to the debacle. jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If they can get the two guard spots to play marginal ball this OL could end up being ok. Not good enough for the playoffs but good enough to not get punked and disrespected on the field by the quality fronts. Right now that is my hope.

Still not sure what we have in our OL coach but he did a fine job last year in the pass pro efficiency of the OL, where they got better and better as the season went on. The overall gain from week one to the Super Bowl was impressive. So if he can just improve their pass pro things will look a ton better. That will allow McVay to go back to his short pass game as a run game alternative, and then maybe they can get some better run game efficiency down the stretch to settle things down.

Then this offseason go get a run game coordinator who knows how to get the most from the limited looks the run game gets in a McVay called offense. Because with McVay if you can't show quickly on the ground he disregards it and it's all pass. It is what it is.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

Has anyone described Matt Skura as a 'way above average' player? Because he's not.

Skura was signed by the Giants last year to be a back-up but wound-up starting due to injuries. The Giants' OL-play in 2021 was awful. Skura was not on any teams' off-season or training camp roster.

Players like Skura, Oday Aboushi and Ty Nsekhe were pure street free agents before the Rams signed them (Nsekhe was signed to the Colts' Practice Squad one week before the Rams signed him). These guys were not final cuts in September. Now they are a starter and the two top reserves.

If the Rams don't have excessive O-Line injuries, these guys are only at a Rams' game if they have a ticket.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Yeah.
I will admit that saying WAY above average concerning Skura may be based on hope and prayers.

But I'm a big fan of gritty lineman that refuse to give up.
65 starts at Guard and Center is nothing to sneeze at.

There is a reason a player sticks around for seven seasons.
It is because he CAN play.

I'm not sure I can say that about Evans.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting this Sunday though that would make it tight at backup Center.
Let's hope he's hitting his peak at 29.
It does happen.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Yeah.
I will admit that saying WAY above average concerning Skura may be based on hope and prayers.

But I'm a big fan of gritty lineman that refuse to give up.
65 starts at Guard and Center is nothing to sneeze at.

It is because he CAN play.

I'm not sure I can say that about Evans.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting this Sunday though that would make it tight at backup Center.
Let's hope he's hitting his peak at 29.
It does happen.
Optimism is a good thing; and I am also hopeful. Unfortunately, sometimes, reality gets in the way.

Not sure if Skura fully came-back from a 2019 knee injury ... in a game against the Rams.

Live in NYC, and get to see all the Giants games. The 2021 Giants' O-Line (not a team strength to begin with) suffered a ton of injuries; and needed to scramble for bodies ... Sound Familiar? ... Skura was one of those bodies. The O-Line was a major weakness, and the offense was completely ineffective for most of the season ... Again, Sound Familiar?

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
We need to revamp a huge part of the line. Honestly Hav is the only one I'd not worry about upgrading. Rams should do their best to upgrade the talent across the board on the o-line and let the best 5 on the field. No way am I giving any of our o-line (except Hav) the starting job after a year like this. I'd even entertain trading up for a legit LT or G in the draft if we see a blue chipper we like. If we get a run game going and give Stafford time to throw, our offense would be much better for it.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think a starting Oline of Jackson, Bruss, Allen, Anchrum and Havenstein would be very interesting...
I say if Jackson keeps playing well, they move or cut Boom for cap space, but we'll see.. who knows, maybe the left side is Boom at tackle and Jackson at guard with Bruss on the right side?
I'd like to see them draft two linemen next year.. one of them who can play center.. the other who can play guard and RT.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I don't know, man. We'll see. He whiffed on some run blocks early and obviously gave up a sack late (before I turned it off). McVay focused the offense today on protecting the OL, so I'm not sure how much stock we can put into it. At a minimum, he seems like a good backup OL.

It was FUNNY, at the end of the game Bosa beat him. The next play was a screen play to the left.He let Bosa come around him & CLUBED him with his right arm extended as hard as he could.Then went to run block.I had to laugh & just think wow.Not sure if I had ever seen that move before?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
PDbv7Jz.gif

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Optimism is a good thing; and I am also hopeful. Unfortunately, sometimes, reality gets in the way.

Not sure if Skura fully came-back from a 2019 knee injury ... in a game against the Rams.

Live in NYC, and get to see all the Giants games. The 2021 Giants' O-Line (not a team strength to begin with) suffered a ton of injuries; and needed to scramble for bodies ... Sound Familiar? ... Skura was one of those bodies. The O-Line was a major weakness, and the offense was completely ineffective for most of the season ... Again, Sound Familiar?
But he did start 11 games at Right Guard and Center for the Baltimore Ravens when they went 11-4.

I'm not sure I'm going to blame him too much for the Giants awful line that year he came in and subbed.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I think a starting Oline of Jackson, Bruss, Allen, Anchrum and Havenstein would be very interesting.

I could easily see that plus draft a stud Center.

Or resign Oday Aboushi.

And Skura.

And Nesheki if he looks good.

I could honestly not care any less what these guys did PRIOR in their careers in certain situations and I'm only interested in what they can do RIGHT NOW to make this o line better.

Let the rest of the guys fight it out in Camp again but I'm almost done with Brewer and Noteboom.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I think Jackson could be the future at LOT. In fact I sort of predicted he would replace Boom and emerge this season (See Below).
"A player I am really high on is AJ Jackson. Noteboom has a history of injuries so I think Jackson will be called upon at some point in the season and I think he will deliver and elicit discussion about whether Noteboom should get his job back." Link:
https://ramsondemand.com/threads/wh...-2021-and-who-will-in-2022.67439/post-1607185

Getting a player like Jackson as UDFA is an absolute steal. Quality Left tackles are very hard to find. Even with Jackson I think the Rams should invest some premium draft capital in a OT. Boom is injury too prone and although I am fan of Havenstein, he is aging out and probably does not have the longevity of Whitworh in his genes. Another vaule Jackson provides is postion Flexibility. He played pretty well at Right guard and he could also be an option at right tackle as well.