After quiet rookie year, Brycen Hopkins has golden opportunity to help Rams in 2021

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Were the Rams going to suit-up four Tight Ends?

I don’t think McVay has dressed 4 TEs in a single game in the past four years.
Well, it happened 4X last year alone.
In the 5 games Hopkins was active, so were the other 3 in 4 of them. Higbee was out for the Bears game, and Hopkins didnt get a sniff.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My certainty comes in if he had anything whatsoever he would have been able to at least pass Johnny Mundt on the depth chart.

The best players play and the way he sees the field this year is because only Everett left and no high level draft pick or no good UDFA gets picked up.
Spot on.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I think you both need go back to school,or at least do grade school Zoom with the new Math ?? Maybe it’s me,but there is a way to double it if you add the years & production.In fact I guess it could go to infinity so any past zero is doubling & beyond.

I don’t know ? Just a dumb ass opinion. The fact is it would be nice to see him actually get more than 2 snaps and a pass thrown to him by Stafford.
Hopkins does look like he is taking the offseason seriously & is ahead of any of the TE’s in the draft.
I get Pitts will be a Top 10 pick & has more talent.
It was meant to be more tongue in cheek. There's an argument to be made the because 2x0=0 that makes 0 double the amount of 0, just like 2x2=4 and 4 is double the amount of 2. It's a dumb ass argument, but it's there. Anyway, trying to funny not serious.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Man. Having a stud TE receiver... If that’s Hopkins or Higbee... or a draftee...

If Hopkins has developed, it changes our draft.

If Hopkins hasn't developed it REALLY changes our draft. Then we really need a tight end. Big time. We can't go Higbee/Mundt all season, or really at all imo. I like Mundt, but he is just not a receiving threat.

We need Hopkins to step up, show he can master the offense, block and catch.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I guess this is your first year following the Rams.
You see McVay plays his rookies right away, particularly those offensive skill positions. For a player to come to the Rams with McVay, with the intention of playing right away, and then not see one pass thrown his way, is absolutely unheard of.
On top of it, the skill set that he provides is one of the major things coach said was missing from his offense.
Again, if you were familiar with how SM runs things, you'd know that if he has a toy, he likes to play with it.
Not limited production, not poor production, absolutely ZERO production.
Its incomparable to any other player who has been drafted.

Great !! How many training calls have you been to in California? How many have you missed.I’m not saying that
to be a smart Azz. It’s a fact that in 2020 there has been ZERO times The Rams didn’t have a training camp since what ? Sam Bradford?? Who know there might have even been preseason games back then.To me it doesn’t matter what if’s.
The I see it is totally different than Yourself & if you want to Doubt there is something WRONG with Hopkins not taking snaps in 2020 that’s far. In Do Get Pissed though at times of creating DRAMA on a player you know JACK about after seeing a Positive Video of a Player Working hard for 2021.
-Dude 2020 is PAST. I look at Hopkins right now as better than any TE coming out after the 5th Best prospect.I’m glad he didn’t play & is ready to step in.
—I’ll post back after the Draft about Hopkins & look at what The Rams roster looks like.I also know that I would hate for Bryce Hopkins to have gotten hurt playing special teams. I have followed The Rams for awhile.I know I pissed Demoff off about not drafting another TE. Higbee would miss every pass in his hands.Actually he made plays,but dropped the ball.Gerald Everett was hurt in Training Camp.
Whatever???? You win Hopkins SUCKS. Les Snead made a horrible 4thrd pick? Mcvay doesn’t like him & he has a bad skill set at 4.6. Phillips can’t coach him up,because of his bloodlines & lack of understanding of The NFL game. -Cheers - bottoms up

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
If Hopkins hasn't developed it REALLY changes our draft. Then we really need a tight end. Big time. We can't go Higbee/Mundt all season, or really at all imo. I like Mundt, but he is just not a receiving threat.

Yeah - that was the beauty of The Rams drafting Hopkins.Give him a year to be mentored. Higbee wasn’t coming out.Dude is a Stud.He might not be the best TE,but he does have skills.He actually played in the Pro Bowl 2019 or say Jan.2020.
Everett was on a contract year & The Rams were going to squeeze all the value out of him.Johnny Mundt has worked his butt off & Blanten is a guy no one knows about either.I noticed him his rookie year & saw him a couple times on Hard Knocks.He is a big guy.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Yeah I think TE is in play regardless. Mundt is a good teams guy but not much more than that (I had some hope he could step up more than he did last year). Hopkins is an unknown. We could use more talent in that room for sure.

Seems like there's a handful of teams that overpay and bogart these guys in FA and the draft and we usually don't have things fall our way with them. But at some point that will happen maybe this year.

And if they do get one I think we have a guy behind center ready to put it up to them. Which is also really important IMO.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It was meant to be more tongue in cheek. There's an argument to be made the because 2x0=0 that makes 0 double the amount of 0, just like 2x2=4 and 4 is double the amount of 2. It's a dumb ass argument, but it's there. Anyway, trying to funny not serious.

Foot in mouth,boot in rear.Some how it seems to fit. I was talking about myself being the dumb Azz.

I enjoy watching young players compete & do the right thing.Zero chance Greg Robinson ever plays in The NFL again. He would do well playing in The Longest Yard setting.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
He may turn out to be a bust and wasted pick. But it’s a bit ridiculous to say that now with certainty. Seems everyone wants to make snap judgements these days. Heck I remember back in the day when the norm was drafted QBs sat for 2-4+ years.

It is different these days. Very little patience for development. Even the coaches have less security to do so. Got to win now.

Everett for whatever reason just didn’t workout.He missed to many passes,but his Blocking was excellent.He Will do well in the Northwest.playing for a contract with coaches he knows & will be the guy.Add Will have more time to get open & work with the QB.

He might do very well there.

Judging by his mental lapses here, it’s a safe bet he will be streaky - best case. But some big games won’t surprise me.

Well, it happened 4X last year alone.
In the 5 games Hopkins was active, so were the other 3 in 4 of them. Higbee was out for the Bears game, and Hopkins didnt get a sniff.

This is why most are skeptical. And, I see it too... why didn’t he get a better taste if he’s got this pent up athleticism waiting to explode?

I think TE is in play regardless

I think so too. It is a place we can attack defenses differently.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It is different these days. Very little patience for development. Even the coaches have less security to do so. Got to win now.

He might do very well there.

Judging by his mental lapses here, it’s a safe bet he will be streaky - best case. But some big games won’t surprise me.

This is why most are skeptical. And, I see it too... why didn’t he get a better taste if he’s got this pent up athleticism waiting to explode?

I think so too. It is a place we can attack defenses differently.

Les Snead doesn’t even mention Hopkins,so there we go. Let alone T. Lewis. Find it hard to believe he doesn’t know the DT 4-some. He does give a little insight though on players.

Ram65

Legend
I certainly did NOT expect much from Hopkins his first year. The Rams had the three returning TEs as we all know. Whether or not you liked them they were going to get the playing time. Even Mundt saw less action last year. Hopkins wasn't going to be a better blocker than Mundt as it was known he needed work coming in. Also, McVay runs a complicated system that requires everyone to know all the assignments to better understand the overall objective of each play. I think that may have been a factor in not getting him any snaps other than STs.

Time will tell how Hopkins plays when he gets his chance. He has the talent to make an impact. It seems like he has the drive to get the most out of his talent. He also has Stafford at QB that can receivers down the middle which Goff didn't seem to like to do. Let's give him a chance to see what he can do. The Rams scouts saw some good things.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsK3XneFdzQ

fearsomefour

Legend
It’s just too early to evaluate Hopkins either way just yet.

The Rams claim they took him when he unexpectedly fell into their lap despite an apparent lack of big need at TE. A classic BPA move.

So I’m cautiously optimistic about Hopkins until he proves himself one way or the other. We should also remember that TE is one of those positions that most players need time to decently absorb.
Exactly.
Most TEs are receivers first in college now.
Used to have to search for a TE with receiver speed/skills in a sea of blockers, now it’s the opposite.
Every TE the Rams have added in recent years has had to work on blocking and fundamental skills with the exception of Mundt.
In college it is just pure athleticism in the pros they need to learn the skills.
He has had a year to progress and certainly is athletic enough to learn the blocking game. Developing hands takes time.
I’m optimist about Hopkins mostly based on how the TEs that came before him developed.

oldnotdead

Legend
The Rams prefer to redshirt rookies if possible. Brycen needed some polishing on his technique and strengthening. He's a couple of inches taller than Everett, but a bit slower than Gerald. He has average speed for the position and isn't going to outrun most safeties and some of the WIL's he will face. He will need to gain separation with is route running. Like Everett and Reynolds, he has shown some inconsistency with his hands. Hopefully, that has been worked on.

That said Brycen looks to have potential but his issues with drops are a concern. I have to think that the Rams feel they know what the problem is and will address it. I think they will take a similar approach with Hopkins that they used on both Everett and Reynolds, i.e. barring injury to Higbee he will see spot duty this year. Blanton has been a work in progress to take over from Mundt. Blanton is painfully slow, but his height and arm length could make him an interesting red zone and short yardage receiver if he plays to his height. Until then Mundt will remain the #3 TE in the rotation with Hopkins taking over Everett's snaps.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
About Gerald Everett...

A wonderfully gifted athlete but simply lacked the necessary ‘want to’ needed to hit that top tier potential.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Exactly.
Most TEs are receivers first in college now.
Used to have to search for a TE with receiver speed/skills in a sea of blockers, now it’s the opposite.
Every TE the Rams have added in recent years has had to work on blocking and fundamental skills with the exception of Mundt.
In college it is just pure athleticism in the pros they need to learn the skills.
He has had a year to progress and certainly is athletic enough to learn the blocking game. Developing hands takes time.
I’m optimist about Hopkins mostly based on how the TEs that came before him developed.

The Rams had Lance Kendricks.I don’t know what you call him.Injust remember him missing a pass all alone in the End Zone against Pittsburgh. 2nd rd draft pick ?

Hoomumawaui from BYU
Fendi Onubun- the project.
Oh yeah - that 2nd rd pick
who’s name I won’t say,but believe he went to Colorado?

Hard to say how Bryce Hopkins will do,but I think he was an Excellent pick though.His dad was an NFL Olman,I actually think Roger Saffolds dad played college ball ? Or was that Sam Branford. I know Clay’s Father & Uncle were Greats.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Roland Williams was a good fit with Ernie Conwell .Williams was a pure TE.

That Manaualu was another big body TE. Funny how long some of The Rams TE’s stayed in the league after leaving.
-Jared Cook was not drafted by the Rams,but I vision Gerald Everett being a smaller version
type player.