AD99 and missing holding calls

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Name
Seth Griffith
Is anyone else beside themselves at how many holding calls AREN’T being called when AD99 is held so damn much? I might be wrong, but I heard on a podcast that Donald has only drawn 1 holding penalty in 600 defensive snaps??? Multiple times a game I keep watching for laundry on the field when I see Donald being held. The officials must be trying to make up for that bad non call on DPI against the Saints in the 2018 NFC championship game or something. Anyone else have thoughts on this. It’s ridiculous!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
In the Miami game Austin Blythe had a DLman had his face mask twice on a bull rush & the player made enough of a play on Goff to cause a bad pass.He talked quick to the line coach.
Then when Miami had the ball it was the O”lineman who did it to Aaron Donald.Donald was upset as well.

That was big because The Rams were down 27-10. Just some poor officiating

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Well, the thing about AD is that if they called every hold, they'd be calling holds on almost every play and they won't do that.

What that means is that they go in KNOWING that they aren't going to call some obvious fouls.

As the game goes on, if they've let some pretty bad stuff go, then that sets the bar and they end up calling nothing...which is complete horse manure, but... yeah.

AD is having the Shaq problem. And rather than force teams to adjust, they're just being lazy and bailing out teams.

dang

Legend
how many pass play holding calls have gone against the Rams OL? I would love for Donald to get 3 holding calls and 2 sacks every game. I can live with the Rams getting the same ‘no hold call’ when they hold. I would need to be convinced they are enforced equally to accept.

Tano

Legend
I just want them to call the flagrant holds on Donald:

Choke holds from behind are flagrant
Tackling Donald is flagrant
Holding Donald from behind is flagrant

And Shaq did go to the foul line frequently. Lets call the holds once in awhile just to let the OL know that they can't blatantly hold Donald.

Lurker

UDFA
Shaq was also
And Shaq did go to the foul line frequently. Lets call the holds once in awhile just to let the OL know that they can't blatantly hold Donald.

Shaq was also allowed to slam into defenders to move them out of the way and could have been called for offensive fouls on a lot of plays if they enforced the rules...maybe Donald should bring back the head slap just to see if the refs are willing to ignore things both ways...

Tano

Legend
Shaq was also

Shaq was also allowed to slam into defenders to move them out of the way and could have been called for offensive fouls on a lot of plays if they enforced the rules...maybe Donald should bring back the head slap just to see if the refs are willing to ignore things both ways...
I would love to see Donald do that and then complain to the refs after the penalty - if you are going to call the head slap on me at least call the blatant holds on them.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
It's fucking bullshit that the refs PRETEND they don't see it.

Donald isn't held on every play... but he's clearly held to way beyond the point of deserving a holding call too many times a game for there to be no flags thrown. I watch a shit ton of football every week... there is absolutely no doubt that the zebras are pretending when it comes to the CLEAR RULE VIOLATIONS against AD.

Maddening doesn't begin to describe what it does to me.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
This isn't the first time a defensive player has been held excessively. Lawrence Taylor was held almost every play also. Complaining to the league didn't change things for him either.

Tano

Legend
This isn't the first time a defensive player has been held excessively. Lawrence Taylor was held almost every play also. Complaining to the league didn't change things for him either.
Yeah but I believe he did get holding calls when they were blatant. That's all I am asking for.

Name
Seth Griffith
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I get it. But there are just so many obvious holds that aren’t called and then you see a flag for some ticky tack B.S. and it makes me lose my mind! Also for what it’s worth, there have been some grossly missed holds on AD at critical points in the game. Just give us those holds then, damn it!

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
The bottom line is what I have been saying for years "All NFL officials Suck!"

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Last season the word was out that the officials were to start calling more holding. They did at first.

Early this year they called a few more. I remember a couple BS calls on Ram Olineman.

If they won't call them then the rule needs refinement. The league wants to protect players and we saw how many times Quinn got clothes lined, and how it affected his health. They can't say only certain holds are fouls, or the result will be most holds will become even more blatant. But they could initiate a stiffer penalty for a certain hold. Grabbing a pass rusher around the neck is akin to a horse collar tackle. It can be just as dangerous. The penalty for doing that should be a 15 yard penalty and loss of down.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Sounds like somebody should send a video of all the blatant holding non-calls.... to the NFL, to the Rams, to twitter, wherever.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Sounds like somebody should send a video of all the blatant holding non-calls.... to the NFL, to the Rams, to twitter, wherever.

If I still had all my editing gear, I would. It would be a labor of love.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Look at the attempted hold... then Zeke pancake. Makes me smile every time... lol Zeke.

tenor.gif

Rams77

Starter
i have no doubt in my mind that if they called the games fairly that Aaron Donald would go down as the most unstoppable defensive player ever. Apparently defense doesn't sell/attract younger fans so they basically ignore it just like they ignore offensive pss interference calls. How many offensive PIs did Mike Evans get away with against Jalen last week? Its bullshit. I agree that maybe Donald should just karate chop/choke/pile drive Olineman until refs take notice of his frustration. Theres only 5 games left and then the big dance-if this defense can be dominant down the stretch we have a great shot at this

I think it's a league wide thing - the officials are calling fewer holding penalties this year, probably because offense makes the game more exciting, and in the end, this is an entertainment business. Last week, there were a lot of articles about how AD was being held and he basically had no stats for 2 consecutive games (sacks Y& tackles). I think the best we can hope for is for teams to double AD, and hope our other guys win one on one matchups. Also, even if he's held, AD can push the pocket from inside to really make things uncomfortable for the QB. But I totally agree he's being held almost all the time!