A guard would be tempting, a safety could make Rams elite

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
By D'Marco Farr
<a class="postlink" href="http://101sports.com/category/dfarr-blogs/20130222/A-guard-would-be-tempting,-a-safety-could-make-Rams-elite/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://101sports.com/category/dfarr-blo ... ams-elite/</a>

I love Chance Warmack. I love the belly, I love the way he plays. He is a smart guy, he plays with attitude. People don’t like to spend premium picks on guards, but in my experience, lining up against a first round guard hurts. Those guys can play and they change your offense. The downside is guards come in all forms and shapes. You can get an elite one at any time in the draft.

ZC55qap.jpg

If I were the Rams, I would go with a safety with one of the first round picks. I would go with a guy that would shake up that room quite a bit. If I am a defensive backs coach or Jeff Fisher, I am proud of the work that my safeties did this past year. Playing safety in this defense is fun. You have a chance to make a lot of plays, you are going to be going towards the quarterback, they are going to put you in a position to make some big hits. It is a good time if you can do it.

But what I mean by change the room is throw a couple of world class athletes in that group of safeties. Then see what this defense can do with those guys in it. Make people go “WOW!’ Nothing against Quintin Mikell, nothing against Craig Dahl, those guys did work last year. Dahl hit people in the tackle box as hard as anyone in the league. Mikell made as many plays as any safety in the league. If you add a more athletic and bigger specimen of an athlete to that position, who knows what the defense can look like with that in the backfield. I would add some spice to that position.

When you are playing or coaching you are getting the most out of your talent but you don’t know how far that position can go unless you add talent to it. I think with the safety position can make the defense go from top 15 to top 10 if you can add another athlete at that position. If you have Finnegan, Trumaine Johnson, Janoris Jenkins and another athletic safety for the offense to think about, that is another half second for your defensive end to get to the quarterback.

Let me put you in the shoes of Aaron Rodgers. You are playing against the Rams and it is a third and long situation. You spread the field with four receivers. You look to the left and there is Jenkins. You look to the right and there is Finnegan on your best receiver. On the inside you have Mikell on a slot guy and Dahl on the other slot. What is your decision? How fast is that decision coming? Add an athlete to that mix and the answer to that question gets a lot tougher.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Re: A guard would be tempting, a safety could make Rams elit

Why not both?

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond

I don't know, it all starts up front I would rather get an elite guard then an elite safety...that's just my take

nighttrain

Legend

one early (Vaccaro), one late ?
train

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick

The top of the safety draft class has more questions than the top of the guard class does. I think you get Warmack or Warford, you get great year one players with potential for Pro Bowls. I see many more holes in Vaccaro's, Elam's, Reid's, and Rambo's games

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame

BuiltRamTough said:
I don't know, it all starts up front I would rather get an elite guard then an elite safety...that's just my take

I would say the opposite. Id take an Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu over a Carl Nicks or Steve Hutchinson.

The problem I see with Farr's article is the only safety worthy of one of our first round picks is Vaccaro and he likely wont be available at 16. I think there is a higher probability Warmack will be there

iced

libertadrocks said:
BuiltRamTough said:

I would say the opposite. Id take an Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu over a Carl Nicks or Steve Hutchinson.

The problem I see with Farr's article is the only safety worthy of one of our first round picks is Vaccaro and he likely wont be available at 16. I think there is a higher probability Warmack will be there

would rather have warmack

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

iced said:
libertadrocks said:
BuiltRamTough said:

Me too.

But, Vaccaro is a good player. I just think Safeties are one of the lowest paid positions for a reason... you can put a CB in there. I'd rather fill the safety void outside of the premium picks.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond

Troy and Ed are first ballot hall of fame players Steve maybe he makes it and Carl no way...it's not fair to to compare those guys....our o line compared to our secondary last year was terrible...it's very close there both studs but I still would go with Chance

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick

BuiltRamTough said:
Troy and Ed are first ballot hall of fame players Steve maybe he makes it and Carl no way...it's not fair to to compare those guys....our o line compared to our secondary last year was terrible...it's very close there both studs but I still would go with Chance

I don't think Polamalu is a HOFer. He's in the 2nd tier. It's the hall of fame, not hall of very good

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

rams24/7 said:
BuiltRamTough said:

I don't think Polamalu is a HOFer. He's in the 2nd tier. It's the hall of fame, not hall of very good

My first reaction was to agree. But then I looked up he's been to 7 pro bowls at 31 years old.

That's some serious honor.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick

CGI_Ram said:
rams24/7 said:
BuiltRamTough said:

My first reaction was to agree. But then I looked up he's been to 7 pro bowls at 31 years old.

That's some serious honor.

It is a tremendous honor, but how many Pro Bowls does Ike have? Does that mean he isn't great? Point is it can go both ways. Some great players have been snubbed: Ike and London Fletcher. And some others will get them by default, like Fitzgerald with 700 yards this year

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Yes by all means lets let Sam 4th year go by where we have a pocket passer with no pocket while our defense have stars all over but the Rams still can't score points.

If pocket creating OG's can be found anytime anywhere then why have the Rams failed to find one that does not have to be overpaid for? Rams started four different OLG's last yr. Two of those are gone already, how well did that work out?

The last first round OG that the Ram took in the first round? 1979 Kent Hill some 33 yrs ago. by the way he was an all pro OG who led a rookie RB into the hall of fame!

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond

It's easy to figure our which is more important...thruought the years you'll rarely see elite O lineman go bc there a rarity but you always see every other position as free agents bc teams don't let O lineman walk the good ones are hard to find

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB

....No worthy caliber (Free)Safety is worth taking in round 1 though, and please no one throw overrated overhyped Kenny Vaccaro in my face :neh: ...Now Rambo in round 2 or 3? Sign me up I would be very ok with this.

Still holding out hope that we get a solid FS in free agency. Time will tell very soon....

iced

CGI_Ram said:
iced said:
libertadrocks said:
BuiltRamTough said:

Me too.

But, Vaccaro is a good player. I just think Safeties are one of the lowest paid positions for a reason... you can put a CB in there. I'd rather fill the safety void outside of the premium picks.

Yep.. And a better guard (especially an future all pro) to help extend drives and possibly put more points on the board, takes less pressure off the defense and hopefully gives them more time off the field. That's how I see Warmack impacting our Defense.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan

Thats why you add Rambo in the third. He is a machine. Maybe Reid in the second.

Simba

Rookie

I am not so 'excited of Craig Dahl, especially in passing game defence.We need a safety in the first round.So there are good chances that we call a guard and a safety with the 16th and 22nd.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Simba said:
I am not so 'excited of Craig Dahl, especially in passing game defence.We need a safety in the first round.So there are good chances that we call a guard and a safety with the 16th and 22nd.
Certainly a possibility, but if Warmack is gone by the time they draft, I'd substitute a WR or TE in there.