A good deal of our success in 2017 was due to 1 year rentals

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Watkins
Barwin
TruJo
Nickell-Roby
Sullivan
Tyrunn Walker

In no particular order. It goes to show how we may actually have a harder time duplicating our success next year if we can't resign and/or find equal replacements for these guys. That's a pretty tall order (and that doesn't even take into account our other UFAs).

Yes, we were really healthy this last year but we also got an incredible return on our FA class last year (Dunbar being the only bust there).

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
Only guys I’d worry about signing/replacing on that list are Watkins, Tru, NRC, and Sullivan. Bet we bring at least half of those guys I just named back too. Rest are easily replaced.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If i understand your point....i'd have to disagree with it.

If you don't count McVay's touch on the success, which was obviously HUGE, the four biggest reasons for overall team success on offense were IMO...in no particular order:

1. Goff
2. Whitworth
3. Gurley
4. Woods
All of those are core guys.

On defense i'm not sure i'd put NRC on a list of high impact defensive guys. He played alot, got dinged alot and started in only 4 games. It was our core guys who led the defense and that includes Tru who's been here for years.
Watkins contributed but wasn't really high impact IMO.
I agree with the Sullivan reference.

Maybe i missed your point. Not sure.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame

If you don't count McVay's touch on the success, which was obviously HUGE, the four biggest reasons for overall team success on offense were IMO...in no particular order:

1. Goff
2. Whitworth
3. Gurley
4. Woods

On defense i'm not sure i'd put NRC on a list of high impact defensive guys. He played alot, got dinged alot and started in only 4 games. It was our core guys who led the defense and that includes Tru who's been here for years.

I'm with you on our D, it was the existing guys that led the charge.

But I would have to add Sullivan to the list of biggest reasons for our success. IMO he solidified the heart of the line and was all over the field making blocks when needed - and there are a handful of TDs for Gurley where Sullivan physically pushes him through the opposing D-lines.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm with you on our D, it was the existing guys that led the charge.

But I would have to add Sullivan to the list of biggest reasons for our success. IMO he solidified the heart of the line and was all over the field making blocks when needed - and there are a handful of TDs for Gurley where Sullivan physically pushes him through the opposing D-lines.
If the Rams want Sullivan, I highly doubt that he's going anywhere. We need to draft a young Center/Lineman anyway, imo.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
If the Rams want Sullivan, I highly doubt that he's going anywhere. We need to draft a young Center/Lineman anyway, imo.
Definitely agree with you here, I'd rather have our O-line all signed up for the next season already and beef up the line in the draft - BUT only if Kromer thinks there's anyone worth while in there - I know he was high on Eldrenkamp, he may be coaching him up behind the scenes...

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I would take Barwin off that list.....nothing would change, win or lose with or without him....but yes, a very true post....and you gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes...Snead did very well.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Maybe they make another run at Groy? Regardless I think they go heavy (pun intended) on OL in the second half of the draft.....

fearsomefour

Legend
I would take Barwin off that list.....nothing would change, win or lose with or without him....but yes, a very true post....and you gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes...Snead did very well.
Nearly everytime the Falcons had success running outside the backup OLB were in.
He knows his responsibility and was solid. Not the dynamic player he once was he still has a role.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
We found the one-year rentals before and we can do it again
.....yes we can do it again!

Plus they can upgrade Barwin' s position which was partly a teaching position that won't be needed now.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

1. Goff
2. Whitworth
3. Gurley
4. Woods

I would add a 5th player to your list Mojo! Cooper Kupp! He had the most receiving yards of any WR!!(y);):D

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Some of those guys I'd like to have back, but they aren't make or break. I'd like to see Tru, Sullivan, NRC and Watkins back. If Tru's too expensive and walks, I hope they sign a blue chip caliber CB in free agency. When I say blue chip I mean not on a pro bowl level but better than average.

Watkins is a luxury but can we afford him? Sullivan showed he still had something in the tank. NRC reminds me of a smaller Joyner, if that was even possible.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I wouldn’t call Tru a one year rental as he’s been with the team for so long and a tag doesn’t really qualify for that IMO.

I would say that this regime has a good eye for talent and - key to consistency - role players.

I think they will look for upgrades or find a way to sign or re-sign role players that are not reasonably replaced with upgrades. But replacing role players with expensive talent is not necessarily a recipe for success. I look for them to get NRC, Sully, and Watkins signed off that list at minimum. I think Tru is gone as he can probably get a bigger contract somewhere else and may not be the best fit.

I think it’s also likely they hang onto Barwin and Walker as role players with easy cap hits.

I’ll be interested to see how they deal with the Donald and Watkins contracts. I think at least Quinn and TA will be leaving or at minimum have major restructuring done to their deals. Those areas will be huge in determining what we can and can’t do in FA and where we could honestly think we are going to be aggressive going after upgrades.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, @Mojo Ram, some sort of thesis statement may have helped here. ;)

I certainly wasn't arguing that these guys were the biggest reason for our success, only that a good deal of our success was predicated on FA moves and particularly, one year contracts with FAs.

I'm curious how that dynamic affected us this last year and will affect us in the future. I suspect the increase in one year contracts (this seems to be a new norm across the league) will increase the variability of year to year success for teams.

It's not that I don't think we'll be successful next year but I think there's pressure on us to keep up the level of success due to the fact that we may not be able to duplicate things with the attrition of our 1 year rentals (either due to age, pricing-out of them by market, or capital investments in just a few that had the greatest impact).

Of course, one could argue that we'll just go out and have make new and different one year rentals this year.

Edit: Regarding Trujo, yes he's been here for years. But in regards to FA only, he himself was on contract for just a year. And since I was focusing on the impact of FA and how one year contracts may have affected us, I included him.

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
A lot of those guys were low level tickets. Nobody was busting down the door for Sullivan, NRC, and Barwin. There are bargain deals every off season after silly season when the Brock Osweilers get their 72 million. A good front office makes use of it, the Rams did and I expect them to do the same going forward.

Look at all the guys Philly brought in who thrived.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I don't know if I completely agree w/ that premise of "one year rentals." Yes, we had guys on "prove it" contracts do well, maybe even better than expected. But overall what I think helped us, was we were relatively healthy all year. And while I think there are some things you can do to "improve" prospects of less injuries. It's kind of a crap shoot and a lot of luck goes into teams escaping major injuries to key personnel.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I would love the team to resign all of these guys, they all had a role last year.

The rams will be a top free agent location due to winning and of course LA , this will greatly help our team.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would love the team to resign all of these guys, they all had a role last year.

The rams will be a top free agent location due to winning and of course LA , this will greatly help our team.

Here's another interesting thing about "one-year-rentals. (OYR)" Many of these guys I'd like back but Barwin, for instance, may have been the perfect OYR due to his age.

This is an instance where when considering the multiple factors of his age, talent behind him at the position and salary requirements even for one more year (vs the lesser salary of a younger player); letting him go is the right move even though he was a above-average contributor.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I like the 1 year deal approach, let's you see how a guy fits your system before you commit to him .

You need to have an attractive team to do this, not many vets will sign a 1 year deal with a bad team.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams should find some bargains this year like last year. Keep in mind, the Rams are a MUCH more desirable destination than they were last year. Last year, rookie HC who might not have worked out. This year, Coach of the Year. Last year, a losing team. This year, division champs.

They will get rid of some who are too expensive, and find some cheaper options.

I'm curious what trades if any the Rams can work out. For Tavon, online sources say has a guaranteed roster bonus, but some say it becomes guaranteed only on the third league day. If that is the case, he will be cut. If the Rams have to pay the bonus anyway, I could see them trading him for a late round pick to a team that wants to take a flyer on his talent.