A few notes on 1st half of Cards game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ellard80

Legend
The ILB play has been atrocious. Roseboom and Reeder were somewhat serviceable in the Lions game but they had a collective 8 missed tackles against the Cards.

Why is Speights not getting a chance? He was supposedly the reason we felt confident trading Jones…
Where are people getting these "miss tackles" stats from.

I looked it up and im not seeing these numbers anywhere.

Toothsayer

UDFA
Name
Richard H Stee

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
PFR lists them , but I think it's PFF-produced piffle.

Missed Tackle %
33.3% Tre'Davious White
28.6% Kobie Turner
27.8% Christian Rozeboom
27.8% Kamren Curl
27.3% Braden Fiske
25.0% Michael Hoecht
25.0% Byron Young
25.0% Desjuan Johnson
15.4% Jared Verse
14.3% Bobby Brown
12.5% Quentin Lake
11.1% Troy Reeder
11.1% John Johnson
0.0% Cobie Durant
0.0% Kamren Kinchens

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
McVay refusing to give McClendon help the first half is coaching malpractice.
It was obvious by the second snap McClendon was in over his head.
He can't stay in front of any pass rusher it seems. He is not an NFL player at this point.
I love McVay and think he is great but, he repeatedly does this. I don't know if it is blind spot of his, not wanting to take a receiver out of the routes, or he is too close on the sideline. Either way, I don't get it and it is bizarre.
This is McVay’s one great weakness. He’s stubbornly married to his scheme. He seems to hate changing the offense no matter what the situation or who the opponent. Go back to the Super Bowl against the patriots. The Rams struggled with the 6 man fronts in 6 games that year. It was obvious that Belichick would use that and McVay needed to adjust for it.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
This is McVay’s one great weakness. He’s stubbornly married to his scheme. He seems to hate changing the offense no matter what the situation or who the opponent. Go back to the Super Bowl against the patriots. The Rams struggled with the 6 man fronts in 6 games that year. It was obvious that Belichick would use that and McVay needed to adjust for it.
100%.
It's maddening.
On the fourth down attempt on the Rams first possession I said to the people we were with when the Rams were in the huddle, "Screen to Kupp."
He's become predicable in some situations.
The refusal to not help struggling T's is just beyond reason.

fearsomefour

Legend
Christian should be on the sideline as the back up LT this week.
McClendon to the PS, if the team thinks he can still develop. If not, Id cut him.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Missed Tackle %
33.3% Tre'Davious White
28.6% Kobie Turner
27.8% Christian Rozeboom
27.8% Kamren Curl
27.3% Braden Fiske
25.0% Michael Hoecht
25.0% Byron Young
25.0% Desjuan Johnson
15.4% Jared Verse
14.3% Bobby Brown
12.5% Quentin Lake
11.1% Troy Reeder
11.1% John Johnson
0.0% Cobie Durant
0.0% Kamren Kinchens
Thats crazy. Unless these numbers are skewed and like all numbers that is easy to do, but it seems to me that Reeder did better than most thought in this ranking.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thats crazy. Unless these numbers are skewed and like all numbers that is easy to do, but it seems to me that Reeder did better than most thought in this ranking.
I'm not a big fan of some of these rankings. Take Reeder for example... he may not have a lot of missed tackles because he was either already taken out of the play, or he made the tackle and was dragged another 5 yards after contact. Who knows? All I know is that the Rams linebackers are a big problem.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
That only means he ran himself out of the play and wasnt there to tackle. He misses the hole more than our old running backs.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm not a big fan of some of these rankings. Take Reeder for example... he may not have a lot of missed tackles because he was either already taken out of the play, or he made the tackle and was dragged another 5 yards after contact. Who knows? All I know is that the Rams linebackers are a big problem.
Rams have been stupid with ILBs for a long time now. They have gone through "chase" backers who are basically souped up safeties, guys like Ogletree and Littleton, who creatively find ways to chase the play by letting runners take an angle that results in yards given up. Or guys who have limited range or instincts in Reeder (instincts) and Jones (range). None of these guys would ever start for a defense that knows what it's doing in finding ILBs like SF or Baltimore. Those teams find dudes who have instincts for the job but also range, and coach them up.

Speights is the first ILB I have seen in this defense in many years who has actual instincts and willingness to fill hard on the interior but also the range to get outside and make plays. Hummel by the way also looked good in preseason, but is more the chase type, which is fine for the pairing when you have a guy who can lock it down next to him. Saying he's a chase type is to mean that he can fill occasionally and get a stop for you, but you don't want him doing that as a primary role because it won't go well. Hummel is very much a souped up safety.

Now I fully realize that Speights might not be able to sustain what he was doing in preseason into the regular season. But the key here is that I know what Reeder is. Which means Speights at least has a chance to be that factor we have lacked back there for so many years. So play him ffs.

Ellard80

Legend
Again.. our ILB are not a strength. But honestly the D-line getting pushed around two straight games was more troubling to me.

When the LB are getting there its already 5 yards down the field.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Missed Tackle %
33.3% Tre'Davious White
28.6% Kobie Turner
27.8% Christian Rozeboom
27.8% Kamren Curl
27.3% Braden Fiske
25.0% Michael Hoecht
25.0% Byron Young
25.0% Desjuan Johnson
15.4% Jared Verse
14.3% Bobby Brown
12.5% Quentin Lake
11.1% Troy Reeder
11.1% John Johnson
0.0% Cobie Durant
0.0% Kamren Kinchens
We can gripe about Reeder and Rozeboom all day, but the DL comprises 7 of the top 10 on that list. Yes, I see both LBs names as well, but ILBs are gonna get pushed around if the DL doesn’t eat up blockers.