A Closer Look at Greg Zuerlein's Missed Kicks/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
A closer look at Greg Zuerlein's missed kicks
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/14449/a-closer-look-at-greg-zuerleins-missed-kicks

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- St. Louis Rams kicker Greg Zuerlein has had some rough days in the NFL. There haven't been many but none worse than what took place in the first half of the team's 24-0 win against the Washington Redskins on Sunday.

In those first 30 minutes, Zuerlein missed an extra point and field goal attempts of 28 and 38 yards. Entering the game, Zuerlein had never missed an extra point or a field goal attempt inside 30 yards in his nearly three year career in the NFL.

Earlier this season, Zuerlein had a rough day against Kansas City, missing a 38-yard field goal and mis-hitting a kickoff that led to a 99-yard return for a touchdown by the Chiefs Knile Davis.

But something was clearly off Sunday as Zuerlein pushed all of his misses to the right. Even when he course corrected a bit in the second half, his kicks were still moving to the right.

So what, exactly, was the problem? Was it just a case of the yips?

"Yeah, I think so," coach Jeff Fisher said. "It happens every once in awhile. He had a great week. He spent a lot of time outside on the grass in the weather and outside and he just had something wrong with the mechanics and the swing."

I didn't get a chance to catch up with Zuerlein after the game because the visitors locker room divides the offense and defense and I was spending most of my time catching up with defensive players after their second consecutive shutout. By the time I got back to the offensive side, Zuerlein was gone. To be clear, Zuerlein didn't avoid anything and he never has. He's always been a standup guy.

So we turned to quarterback Shaun Hill to get his perspective on if there was anything he could offer that might further explain Zuerlein's struggles.

"The elements probably didn’t look that bad out there but the grass was long and the field was soft, the wind was blowing," Hill said. "It’s a rough place to kick today out there for him and really a tough place to throw at times, too."

That might just sound like a team captain doing what he should and sticking up for a teammate but I can actually vouch for Hill's assessment of the field conditions. Redskins reporter John Keim and I walked on the field after to shoot our game balls video and it was obvious that the field was in horrible shape.

That's not really an excuse for Zuerlein, who still has to at least make extra points and there's little doubt that the first miss probably led to some mental block that led to the others. But it's still worth noting.

For what it's worth, Fisher expressed confidence in Zuerlein during and after the game.

"I told him we were going to need him and probably need him to win this game for us," Fisher said. "So forget what happened and just hit it between those two poles that are at the end of the field. You want to hit them between them, you don’t want to hit them outside."

Zuerlein's job appears safe for now but if his problems continue Thursday night against Arizona, the Rams will have no choice but to take a closer look.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I've always thought he kicks to hard on the shorter stuff.

And he is always going to the right.

But I'll keep him around thanks.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The high kicks are harder to block.

Yeah but he looks like he is trying to murder the ball.

Like guys who play golf three times a year that are swinging as hard as they can all the time.

I don'tknow. I still want him around though because I know he can make a long kick to win the game.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
I think he gets off the hook for this one. He's missed some kicks this season that could have and have cost us games. I love the kid but he needs to get something figured out cause he's been pretty inconsistent this year it seems.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Not the first time he's struggled outdoors (KC MIA), but his 60 yard bombs in the dome make up for it. All the more reason I don't want an outdoor stadium.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Yeah but he looks like he is trying to murder the ball.

Like guys who play golf three times a year that are swinging as hard as they can all the time.

I don'tknow. I still want him around though because I know he can make a long kick to win the game.

What's wrong with swinging hard? I do it all the time and I am very consistent. I shoot in the 100's every time!

rafa

Starter
Name
Rafael
Teach Hekker to kick!

or Fisher could hire someone who kicks the ball since little kid, in a country where Soccer is the passion # 1 .......
.......... in case,
me. :sneaky::sneaky:

just kidding.. Greg The Leg will be back strong against AZ thursday.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
or Fisher could hire someone who kicks the ball since little kid, in a country where Soccer is the passion # 1 .......
Nigel?

NigelGruffTheReplacements_display_image.jpg

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I have seen that movie a dozen times, and still love it. That and Major league.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yeah, me too. I always get goosebumps when Jake calls his shot.
It's one of those stupid movies that you just love. I love it too. I think the article is dead on perfect.

"Yeah, I think so," coach Jeff Fisher said. "It happens every once in awhile. He had a great week. He spent a lot of time outside on the grass in the weather and outside and he just had something wrong with the mechanics and the swing."

For what it's worth, Fisher expressed confidence in Zuerlein during and after the game.

"I told him we were going to need him and probably need him to win this game for us," Fisher said. "So forget what happened and just hit it between those two poles that are at the end of the field. You want to hit them between them, you don’t want to hit them outside."

Zuerlein's job appears safe for now but if his problems continue Thursday night against Arizona, the Rams will have no choice but to take a closer look.

I underlined that one part, because I think the team, and a lot of fans love GZ, but if he plays like that again, it would really hurt his chances to remain a Ram, long term. Let's hope it was a fluky thing, and he kills it from now on.

Last edited:

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Heck, let's see if he can be our QB of the future, too. He'll be a bargain. :D

Well heck, maybe he can become the next George Blanda…that’s for all you old guys out there.